Doxa screw down crown action
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Doxa screw down crown action

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doxa screw down crown action

To all you Doxa owners...

Firstly let me say that to my shame I have only 'discovered' the brand recently. I cannot recall how but I think it was when I googled Isofrane when looking for a blue strap for my Seamaster Professional.

To my further shame, I have many dive watches but don't dive. Feel such a fraud! ( I dived once in 89 at a poorly regulated tourist dive ship in Corfu, run by a few nice young Aussie guys...safety wasn't really talked about and I ended up with a serious ear infection)...

Anyway, despite my wannabe credentials, I aim t buy a Doxa soon. Can anyone describe I me the screw down crown action? The reason ask is that most of my collection over the years have been relatively expensive watches but the cheaper ones have always disappointed with their 'scratchy' threads etc.

This may seem ( and probably is) a minor point but please share your views.
    Have:
    1990 Roamer 200m diver, Quartz
    1991 Tag Heuer GMT quartz
    1999 Rolex Sub 16610.
    2010 Monster Orange, Strela
    2012 Rolex Exp 1.
    2013 Omega PO Liquidmetal LE, Omega SMP, 1999 model, Omega PO 42mm 2500D
    2017 Doxa 1200T Caribbean, Longines Legend Diver, Tudor BB Dark.
    2018 Tudor BB RaSP, xx/75 and xx/75, Doxa Divingstar, Pre-moon Speedmaster, Tag Monza
    2019 Seamaster Chrono, 1962, 321 movement, Speedmaster Teutonic, Tudor BB58

Had:
    1998-06 Seamaster SMP
    2007-16 Omega PO XL
    2010-15 Seiko Monster Black
    2011-13 Skyland Avenger Blacksteel, Daytona, Explorer 2
    2014-18 Obris Morgan Predata, black, Obris Morgan Predata, blasted
    2014 Helberg CH6, Raven Deeptech, Bombfrog, Skagen
    2015-17 Steinhart Ocean Black. Unreliable movement repaired
    2015-18 Steinhart T500. Unreliable movement replaced.
    2017-17 Bulova Moonwatch, Seiko Turtle PADI, Seiko Turtle Pepsi
    2018-19 1969, Zenith Defy x2 (70s)

Re: Doxa screw down crown action

Quote Originally Posted by Vlciudoli View Post
    To all you Doxa owners...

Firstly let me say that to my shame I have only 'discovered' the brand recently. I cannot recall how but I think it was when I googled Isofrane when looking for a blue strap for my Seamaster Professional.

To my further shame, I have many dive watches but don't dive. Feel such a fraud! ( I dived once in 89 at a poorly regulated tourist dive ship in Corfu, run by a few nice young Aussie guys...safety wasn't really talked about and I ended up with a serious ear infection)...

Anyway, despite my wannabe credentials, I aim t buy a Doxa soon. Can anyone describe I me the screw down crown action? The reason ask is that most of my collection over the years have been relatively expensive watches but the cheaper ones have always disappointed with their 'scratchy' threads etc.

This may seem ( and probably is) a minor point but please share your views.
    welcome to the DOXA forum, in regards of the crown action on the DOXA SUB, when you compare the crown action of watches, you have to consider their depth rating, the higher the depth rating (depper) the finer the threads on the crown and tube, which results in an entirely different feel on a 30ATM or a 150ATM water resistant watch. The DOXA crown & tube are a very high quality components, and they need the attention a high precision instrument needs during operation.

There seems to be a difference in construction materials, too. Few things on dive watches are more irritating than finicky screw down crowns with thin threads that easily strip. Some dive watches have notoriously difficult threads (i.e., Marathon SARs, O&W) while others screw in very easy (i.e., Submariner, Omega). My Doxa 750 and 1200 both screw in very easy, but as stated above, you should use reasonable care. I always push the crown in and then turn it counterclockwise until I feel it "sit" in the threads. Then I screw the crown down. I've never had a problem with them.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I've only ever had one crown thread on me, and some of my watches I have had for 20 years, so I guess I know how to handle them. I too use the method described by Doug507.

The watch that threaded was a niche watch of supposedly high quality but I was always suspect of the thread!
    Last edited by Vlciudoli; September 22nd, 2013 at 21:58.
    Have:
    1990 Roamer 200m diver, Quartz
    1991 Tag Heuer GMT quartz
    1999 Rolex Sub 16610.
    2010 Monster Orange, Strela
    2012 Rolex Exp 1.
    2013 Omega PO Liquidmetal LE, Omega SMP, 1999 model, Omega PO 42mm 2500D
    2017 Doxa 1200T Caribbean, Longines Legend Diver, Tudor BB Dark.
    2018 Tudor BB RaSP, xx/75 and xx/75, Doxa Divingstar, Pre-moon Speedmaster, Tag Monza
    2019 Seamaster Chrono, 1962, 321 movement, Speedmaster Teutonic, Tudor BB58

Had:
    1998-06 Seamaster SMP
    2007-16 Omega PO XL
    2010-15 Seiko Monster Black
    2011-13 Skyland Avenger Blacksteel, Daytona, Explorer 2
    2014-18 Obris Morgan Predata, black, Obris Morgan Predata, blasted
    2014 Helberg CH6, Raven Deeptech, Bombfrog, Skagen
    2015-17 Steinhart Ocean Black. Unreliable movement repaired
    2015-18 Steinhart T500. Unreliable movement replaced.
    2017-17 Bulova Moonwatch, Seiko Turtle PADI, Seiko Turtle Pepsi
    2018-19 1969, Zenith Defy x2 (70s)

I think that my SUB 1200T has one of the best crowns I've used, on any dive watch I've owned. You shouldn't be let down by the quality that Doxa puts into them.
    Vlciudoli likes this.
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600
    Rolex GMT-Master 16750
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko 6309-7040
    Seiko 6105-8000

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I've had my 1000T for 4 years now, and not one problem with the screw in crowns. I'd put it on par with my Black Bay and Airking, to be honest.
    Vlciudoli likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Banned

I think the stem to movement interface plays a big role. If when unscrewed the crown moves around side to side then obviously care is needed to get it to screw down properly.
    The best crown 'feel' out of all mine is my Seiko Tuna 015 closely followed by Submariner. Both have coarser threads than my 750t or smaller Seikos.
    I'm amazed with the statement by Doxa saying that for higher rating finer threads are needed. Both Seiko and Rolex seem to manage although the Rolex has got the extra stem seal.
    The MM300 SEIKO has finer threads and a single stem seal on the actual stem. Many don't like it in theory but in practice it must work as the watch is Helium rated without an HEV.
    Having read posts regarding the crown threads on early 750's I just make sure I use a little extra care when using the crown.
    The crown and tube on my Doxa perform as they should and I've had no issues. It feels just like my Seiko SKX007 and the 6309-7049 I had in operation.
    Last edited by nobbylon; September 23rd, 2013 at 15:01. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
    I think the stem to movement interface plays a big role. If when unscrewed the crown moves around side to side then obviously care is needed to get it to screw down properly.
    The best crown 'feel' out of all mine is my Seiko Tuna 015 closely followed by Submariner. Both have coarser threads than my 750t or smaller Seikos.
    I'm amazed with the statement by Doxa saying that for higher rating finer threads are needed. Both Seiko and Rolex seem to manage although the Rolex has got the extra stem seal.
    The MM300 SEIKO has finer threads and a single stem seal on the actual stem. Many don't like it in theory but in practice it must work as the watch is Helium rated without an HEV.
    Having read posts regarding the crown threads on early 750's I just make sure I use a little extra care when using the crown.
    The crown and tube on my Doxa perform as they should and I've had no issues. It feels just like my Seiko SKX007 and the 6309-7049 I had in operation.
    I definitely disagree with the comment that it feels just like a Seiko SKX. I like the SKX series, no doubt. It's my go to dive watch for real diving. But its screw in crown feels worlds less refined and polished than my Doxa 1000T. Not even a comparison.
    Horologic likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I definitely disagree with the comment that it feels just like a Seiko SKX. I like the SKX series, no doubt. It's my go to dive watch for real diving. But its screw in crown feels worlds less refined and polished than my Doxa 1000T. Not even a comparison.

Less refined in what way? My current SKX007J bought new by me so it's unmolested feels identical. Smooth, same amount of turns as the 750t and doesn't wobble! I can only assume that your SKX isn't the same. I've had a few Seiko divers and they have all felt nice.
    I also have a Precista PRS 18 and the screw down on that I would put above the SKX and Doxa's. Maybe it's the different mov't.
    I've got nothing to do so I'm going to do a comparison of them all. Number of turns, wobble, smoothness etc....
    As long as they do the job I really don't see that it matters anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
    Less refined in what way? My current SKX007J bought new by me so it's unmolested feels identical. Smooth, same amount of turns as the 750t and doesn't wobble! I can only assume that your SKX isn't the same. I've had a few Seiko divers and they have all felt nice.
    I also have a Precista PRS 18 and the screw down on that I would put above the SKX and Doxa's. Maybe it's the different mov't.
    I've got nothing to do so I'm going to do a comparison of them all. Number of turns, wobble, smoothness etc....
    As long as they do the job I really don't see that it matters anyway.
    My SKX doesn't engage as smoothly. It feels rougher. Grittier. It takes a turn or two before the threads actuate and the crown goes down. I've also noticed more wobble when the crowns are extended in the Seiko than in the Doxa. Substantially more. The Doxa has some - about the same amount as my Black Bay when the crown is extended. This makes sense to me, as they both have a 2824 movement. The Seiko works well, no doubt, but the Doxa's crown feels better.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information