DOXA service for 2002 Sub 300T reissue
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: DOXA service for 2002 Sub 300T reissue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DOXA service for 2002 Sub 300T reissue

Hey guys,

Just commenting on my recent service experience with DOXA.

I have a 2002 Sub 300T reissue. Purchased the watch second-hand (actually received in trade). This was a few years after they became unavailable. I had owned a Divingstar 300T reissue, but traded that on. I love the 300T reissue case and bracelet, so always wanted one back in my collection!

So, this one had no service history, but was in great shape. Appeared almost unworn, but there were scratches on the back from someone improperly opening the back, and the crown seemed a little wobbly when I adjusted it. Also, my watch kept only fair time, and was almost a minute slow each day.

I had it serviced a few years ago locally, and it ran well for a few weeks, then was back to being slow. Not sure why.

About 2 years after I got the watch, I noticed that there was a square flake of lume material loose in the case, but I could not locate the source. I assumed it came from beneath the hands, but was not visible from the front. So, I didn't really think much about it.

Pulled it out to wear about 2 months ago, and within an hour, I noticed a square piece of lume missing from the hour hand. This, combined with the poor timekeeping prompted me to contact DOXA. They recommended sending it to a local service center, where it then went on to DOXA directly.

Did that, and waited. About a week or so later, I was contacted by DOXA, who told me they intended to do a full service, and also recommended repainting the bezel. The bezel had one or two little areas where paint was missing, so I thought I should do it all when it was there. I asked after seeing the list of what needed replacement that they didn't expressly mention the handset. I told them about that, and they listed an additional charge. Surprising because that was the original reason I sent it in! I was also a bit shocked as to the total cost, with the price being much higher than expected for what I thought was a fairly routine service. However, you can only get those cosmetic pieces from DOXA, so I thought I might as well do this. I ended up getting a replacement dial, crown/tube, handset, and full service.

Got the watch back a few days ago, FedEx...

WOW-they did a fantastic job! They carefully polished/brushed the case/bracelet, serviced it (running about +8sec/day) and replaced those cosmetic things I mentioned. Really stellar job, right up there with casework with Omega, who I've used extensively in the past. Crown now feels much more sturdy!

Interesting to note: One of the very few things I didn't like about the 2002 reissue was the handset. I thought all Doxas should have the dwarf hour hand, and I was a bit disappointed with the larger hour hand unique to that model. I just thought it would look better with that smaller hand....

When I got mine back this time, the replacement handset has the smaller hour hand! While some purists might question "originality" for that replacement, it was done by DOXA, and is their factory replacement. As such, I feel it PERFECTLY completes this watch, and makes it look much better. I am really pleased!

So pros with the service:

Excellent casework, cosmetics look great, and movement service. Very fast turnaround

Cons:

Was quite expensive! Worth it to me, but some might opt for a local service. But, you'd miss out on the opportunity to have correct replacement parts, should they be needed.
    Some may object to the dwarf hour hand as opposed to the larger hour hand originally supplied. I far prefer this combination, so not a con, but a plus to me

I'll try to get some pics up soon. Had a recent computer crash, so just digging out from that

Best,

Chris
    Last edited by siddhartha; March 6th, 2016 at 17:42.
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Re: DOXA service for 2002 Sub 300T reissue

Sounds like great news all around! Can't wait to see pics. :) I had a 300T reissue sometime back, always have missed it-one of the best bracelets. Can't wait to see pics. :)

I bet the standard hands look great on the 300T. TBH I was never a big fan of the "picket fence" hands on the first reissues.

Pics or it didn't happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Attached Images Attached Images

Monkeynuts, MHe225, NNW64 and 2 others like this.
    --

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Looks great they did a Stella job how expensive was it?

glad to see that doxa offers support for this wacky version of the sub: it was one of my first dive watches.

That looks much more natural to me, and they did an awesome job on the case and bracelet too. It looks like it went back in time 14 years (has it really been that long already?).

Thanks guys-I really like the new handset, and think it completes this watch. I was never a fan of the original handset either-I mean, this is a DOXA, should look like one!

I wanted to comment on the casework they did-I have had multiple watches restored at Omega in Bienne, and they have been my measure of the best casework around. They have taken absolute, rusted-out wrecks, and transformed them into showroom pieces. I've always been very impressed with them. That said, they've taken as long as 16 months to turn one around, and one actually went back for further movement work after a long wait. To be fair, that one that was there for the longest time was waiting on Omega to make a new dial, so I wasn't upset at that!

Otherwise, watch companies in my opinion fall somewhat short of Omega's work. However, I'm deeply impressed with what Doxa did here. They polished out the scratches on the back without over polishing, and left some of the deeper ones as polishing completely would remove too much metal. So, the back has a couple of faint lines that you'd probably overlook, but what I'm getting it is that this is really thoughtful casework.

The bezel now appears new. The dial is a replacement, and the originals (and this one) were all tritium dials, so I didn't expect the lume on the dial to be great. It's not-it appears to be the same tritium dial that originally came on the watch, made at the same time, with the resultant age. So, it glows all night, faintly. For me, I appreciate that. They'd have to make a whole batch with Luminova should they want to provide great lume again. For me, I'm glad the dial is an original. It is a shade of orange that I really like, not quite as "bold" as some of the other reissue pieces that came later. For me, right on the money.

If you have a 2002 model, I'd recommend having at least one service through Doxa, because they know what they're doing. And, you get back a new-appearing piece. Just be prepared to pay a bit of $

For those asking, total service costs were around 700$, including shipping. So, probably half to 2/3 of what I've paid to Omega for a total restoration, but still a lot more than just a standard, local, ETA 2824 service (I pay around 200$ for that usually)
    --

-Buddha

Phew $700 that's is a lot but I guess a new dial and hand set ain't cheap to come by plus it looks like a new watch

That looks just like new
    IG : reinhardsanden

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Diver - Bvlgari Diagono - Rolex Datejust - Swatch Irony - Tissot T-Touch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information