Doxa Sub 300 reissue - lume
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Doxa Sub 300 reissue - lume

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doxa Sub 300 reissue - lume

I hope this hasn't been discussed here before - if it has, apologies.

Being a diver, I was expecting my Doxa Sub 300 Searambler lume to blow me away.
    It's quite bright initially (charged via a black light) but rapidly fades.

Compared to my Seiko diver (or my now sold Submariner) it pales in comparison. Their glow lasts for hours.
    Not a big problem - since I only snorkel and the rest of the time I'm a desk diver.

What's everyone else's lume like?
    cmeisenzahl likes this.

Re: Doxa Sub 300 reissue - lume

Yeah, the lume is not strong. It’s disappointing, I agree. I still love my 300 50th Professional, though, and probably enjoy the vintage hue of the lume in the daylight more often than I need strong lume, so probably a decent trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Joe90, cmeisenzahl and gaopa like this.

The worst lume on any dive watch I’ve seen or owned as it fades in minutes. Admittedly the three other dive watches I’ve owned have been Seamasters and Planet Oceans with amazing lume

However, my sub 300 silver lung is:
    The most comfortable watch I’ve worn with the amazing BOR bracelet
    Stunning looking (as long as vintage vibe is your thing)
    Beautiful silver dial, especially the way it reflects light at angles in daylight
    Best bezel action on any of my dive watches
    Is the watch I wear pretty much every day

But yes, crap lume and a pretty cheap and nasty clasp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Joe90 and cmeisenzahl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Doxa’s have poor lume. It’s quite disappointing actually.
    Stirling Moss likes this.

On:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer68 View Post
    Best bezel action on any of my dive watches
    But yes, crap lume and a pretty cheap and nasty clasp
    The bezel (on mine) is quite hard to turn and not as "refined" as on my Seiko or previous Submariner but I don't mind it.≈
    The stamped clasp is part of the appeal for me although again it pales in comparison to a modern-day Submariner. I agree though, perhaps the quality of the BOR is "let down" by the stamped clasp.

I too wear it almost on a daily basis.
    It's just so cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
    On:

The bezel (on mine) is quite hard to turn and not as "refined" as on my Seiko or previous Submariner but I don't mind it.≈
    The stamped clasp is part of the appeal for me although again it pales in comparison to a modern-day Submariner. I agree though, perhaps the quality of the BOR is "let down" by the stamped clasp.

I too wear it almost on a daily basis.
    It's just so cool!
    Cool is the right word for it.
    I bought it for my 50th and it’s a cool retro, historical watch....warts ‘n all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Joe90 likes this.

I actually have a 1200t carrinean, and also found the lume to be nonexistent and unfortunately very inferior to my orient ray! Otherwise happy with the watch.

I have the 5000T and the lume is the best of my watches. Beyond my Seiko. In the morning at 6 am, I can still see the time.

Doxa 1200's, Pro and Shark comparison. The first pic below is fully charged with very bright LED light. The Shark lume fades quickly, but seems to last as long as the Pro, even if very faint. Lume on both is visible for several hours, though very faint. In areas not so dark, passing from sunlight through shaded areas, the Pro is visible, while the Shark often appears to have no lume at all.

When I first picked mine up, on a bright sunny day, I had my Pro on. Charging the Pro in sunlight, then putting in the shade, and comparing to the Pro I had on, my first reaction was QC problem: this watch had no lume paint. Went so far as to put both in deeper shade under my dashboard, up in the footwell. While the Pro is OK but no torch, the Shark was just perceptible.

Second pic compares, left to right, a PRS 82, Pro, Shark, Seiko (with sapphire bezel insert), and a Squale 1521. Cheated a bit here to help the Doxa's: charged all watches with very high lume LED light, but charged the Doxa's, and the Shark in particular very last, last before taking the pic.

I'm not a diver, but since Doxa has a strong pedigree as a professional diver's watch, I have been surprised at how pedestrian the lume is, especially in the Shark, which is said to be Jacque Cousteau's favorite Doxa color.

My 1200's are new, so perhaps this is just an evolution, and the older Doxa's did have more lume? Or is it that lume is over rated when diving beyond certain depths, if they need to check a watch, divers use a flashlight?

Name:  lume1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  1.89 MB[
    ATTACH=CONFIG]13807513[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe indeed, in time, they changed the lume material on Doxa's. I actually speculate.

My 5000T Sharkhunter bought in 2010 has a lot of lume, but I believe it is a little bit larger than 1200, including in size of markers and indicators on the dial + the edge of those markers is shining and offering more bling and visibility to the whole dial.

As for the use underwater, actually it is just for fun, as I use it only to know my watch has been with me in the adventures. In real life you look at the diving computer which does not need a torch to be seen.

The best use of Doxa's lume is at night when you wake up and need to see your watch. And not your smartphone, of course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information