DOXA Sub 300T 1967-2002
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: DOXA Sub 300T 1967-2002

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DOXA Sub 300T 1967-2002

I am a huge Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt fan so back in 2002 when DOXA released the DOXA Sub 300T 1967-2002 Limited Edition I had to have one. I received #261/1000 and decided to keep it in pristine never worn condition hoping the value would rise. I keep looking at the new ones and wishing I could wear one but the funds just aren't there right now. I did some searching on the web including this forum to see if this watch is really collectable or just another in a line of really excellent DOXA watches. If it is worth keeping as a collectors item then so be it. But if not then I would love to start wearing it. I wanted to get the opinion of some people who really know their DOXAs which is why I came here.

Name:  TOM_9713 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  98.8 KB

I know it's no where near the same but I have temporarily consoled myself with an Invicta Grand Diver 3048 and while it's a nice watch, it's not a DOXA.

Name:  TOM_9707 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  284.9 KB

I have worn mainly Seiko's over the years and have just recently got back into looking and getting excited about watches. I'm looking forward to more interaction with this forum and I appreciate any opinion and replies.

Re: DOXA Sub 300T 1967-2002

I totally understand your thoughts and concerns. Personally, I would wear the watch, enjoy it, and not get overly concerned about dollar values. You are talking to a guy who regularly wears his 2005 edition T-Graph Professional. I own number 101/250. I figure if I really do a number on it, DOXA can pretty up again during a service.

Collector's item...I think that's subjective. Rare via production number and all the other watches other people wear....definitely! I say wear it, it will make you feel really good to look at your wrist to see what time it is !
    Thunderdaddy and Allmendinger like this.
    Omar Montaño

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Welcome aboard Cubby, and amazing willpower to not wear that sweet 300T reissue for 11 yrs.

Some might disagree, but I'd start wearing that watch immediately. I know it's easy to become concerned with the value of things, but I think the pleasure and enjoyment of wearing it is worth far more than any monetary value it might have. DOXAs are made to be worn and enjoyed; and while they will show a scratch or two, to me, those are nice reminders of good times and great adventures. Just ask our member THOR, who's put his 300T reissue through dive duty, and daily wear for years. Sure it's missing some bezel paint, but I'm sure it could tell some really cool stories too. Like I said...welcome, and I look forward to seeing the pics of your 300T in action.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm of the opinion that if you have a watch, wear it. Life is short & noting gives me more enjoyment than looking at a watch on my wrist that I had to work for. Right now my Doxa is in the hospital & after 2 months gone, I really miss it but I'm hoping to have it back in time for my annual trek on vacation. Chief Dan George said in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales" about a piece of rock candy: "It's not for eatin; it's just for lookin at." I'd rather enjoy it myself. There are too many other things to collect to make money on.

I appreciate the replies guys. I didn't really buy it for an investment but I figured it was a thought worth pursuing before taking the irreversible step and taking the protective plastics off and getting it scratched. As a side note I also used to collect a certain type of guitar and I know that a mint 50 year guitar is worth considerably more than one that was played over the years. So that was the reason I inquired. You'll probably see some pictures of it out in the world pretty soon.

Thanks again.
    Allmendinger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby61 View Post
    I appreciate the replies guys. I didn't really buy it for an investment but I figured it was a thought worth pursuing before taking the irreversible step and taking the protective plastics off and getting it scratched. As a side note I also used to collect a certain type of guitar and I know that a mint 50 year guitar is worth considerably more than one that was played over the years. So that was the reason I inquired. You'll probably see some pictures of it out in the world pretty soon.

Thanks again.
    see, now I tend to disagree here. I would probably put that puppy up for sale and you MIGHT be able to buy a used 1200T and a beater Doxa for what you would realize out of the new-in-plastic 300T reissue.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

I'll tell you my personal story and you can pick and choose which parts apply to your situation.

Like you, I am a huge Clive Cussler fan. When the 2002 Re-Issue SUB 300T came out, I wanted one really bad! It didn't help that the "other" watch forum was going nuts about the new Doxa. People started receiving their watches and I kept reading about them and my desire reached a peak. But it was too late! Doxa had sold out of the 1000 Re-Issue orange face dive watches. I lamented my sorrow on the old Simon & Schuster Cussler message forum. Then I received an email from Doxa! Directly to me! They had two SUB 300T cancellations and that meant they had two more watches to sell!

I sold some stuff to afford the $779 delivered price. I wore my SUB 300T every single day for eight years! Then the SUB 1200T Professional Diving With Legends watch came out. I was lucky enough to attend the presentation by Dr. Peter Millar and Doxa in Rosemont, Illinois and it was amazing to see so many of the world's greatest scuba divers receive their Doxa watches. I needed one. Badly!

I sent my SUB 300T to Doxa and it was completely refurbished. It came back looking brand new after eight years of swirls and missing bezel paint. Of course I still had the tube (signed by Clive Cussler!) and all the original paperwork and the extra leather/orange stitched strap. I put it up on Ebay for a penny with no reserve. Here's a photo of it after I got it back from Doxa:

It sold on Ebay for $1835! Pretty darn good for a watch I enjoyed wearing for eight years!

I then turned that money right around and bought a SUB 1200T DWL! I absolutely love this watch! I love the size, the slightly domed crystal, the dwarf hour hand, and the beads of rice bracelet.

I believe that you could wear your 300T and simply have Doxa restore it for you ten years from now if that's what you're after. You could also sell it and probably double your money. There are only 1000 of the SUB 300T Re-Issues out there and most people won't part with them. Remember, they are THE watch that re-started all of this Doxa awesomeness again! It's crazy how many variations there have been since 2002!

You can wear your watch while it appreciates, but know that you can always have it put right back to perfect whenever you want. Sure, it will cost you a few hundred dollars, but you'll make it right back if you ever decide to sell.

My DWL is kept company by a vintage SUB 300T Pro and a SUB 1200T NUMA in turquoise. None of them are worn daily, but I do put each of them on now and again. I've gone both scuba diving and snorkeling with both of the SUB 1200s, but not with the vintage. I'm still amazed I own three Doxas and I still look at others with an eye to acquiring more.

I hope my story helps. If you choose to stash yours away, wear it with abandon, sell it to buy another newer Doxa, or just wear yours gently on occasion, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your decision.

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Tracy; July 3rd, 2013 at 05:42.

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Welcome aboard Cubby, and amazing willpower to not wear that sweet 300T reissue for 11 yrs.

Some might disagree, but I'd start wearing that watch immediately. I know it's easy to become concerned with the value of things, but I think the pleasure and enjoyment of wearing it is worth far more than any monetary value it might have. DOXAs are made to be worn and enjoyed; and while they will show a scratch or two, to me, those are nice reminders of good times and great adventures. Just ask our member THOR, who's put his 300T reissue through dive duty, and daily wear for years. Sure it's missing some bezel paint, but I'm sure it could tell some really cool stories too. Like I said...welcome, and I look forward to seeing the pics of your 300T in action.

I would have a difficult time making the call on this one. Although I have 2-300T's that I wear regularly, you should also consider your investment so far - that of 10 years storage. You've preserved a great watch for someone else to enjoy and scratch; they can wear off the bezel paint and respond to all of the questions and comments that a watch like this will inevitably elicit. Whoever ends up wearing this watch will really appreciate your efforts to keep it nice! Just ask yourself - is that person you?

Also consider that it may need fresh oil before daily use. I brought a NOS watch to my jeweler and he said all the oil had turned dark and thick - that if I'd worn it like that it would have worn internally...
    gwold likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby61 View Post
    I am a huge Clive Cussler/Dirk Pitt fan so back in 2002 when DOXA released the DOXA Sub 300T 1967-2002 Limited Edition I had to have one. I received #261/1000 and decided to keep it in pristine never worn condition hoping the value would rise. I keep looking at the new ones and wishing I could wear one but the funds just aren't there right now. I did some searching on the web including this forum to see if this watch is really collectable or just another in a line of really excellent DOXA watches. If it is worth keeping as a collectors item then so be it. But if not then I would love to start wearing it. I wanted to get the opinion of some people who really know their DOXAs which is why I came here.

Name:  TOM_9713 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1918
Size:  98.8 KB

I know it's no where near the same but I have temporarily consoled myself with an Invicta Grand Diver 3048 and while it's a nice watch, it's not a DOXA.

Name:  TOM_9707 (Medium).jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  284.9 KB

I have worn mainly Seiko's over the years and have just recently got back into looking and getting excited about watches. I'm looking forward to more interaction with this forum and I appreciate any opinion and replies.
    My thoughts on watch collecting are that if it's not a PP or another of the holy trinity, it's not worth it. How much more are you going to get from it? A few hundred bucks? Maybe a thousand or so if you're lucky? For 10+ years? The finance guy in me just doesn't see the ROI. ENJOY THE WATCH!!! Rip the plastics off and slap it on. Frankly, I doubt that you would get much less than a BNIB one if you decided to sell it.
    "A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Current Watches:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET - Royal Oak Jumbo
    OMEGA - Speedmaster Pro 3570.50
    ROLEX - GMT Master II 16710B
    ZENITH - Cronometro CP-2
    SINN - Bundeswehr 155 Dark Star
    LONGINES - Heritage Military 1938
    HEUER - Carrera Re-Edition of 1964 CS3110
    BALTIC- Aquascaphe Gilt Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
    Rip the plastics off and slap it on.
    words to live by, lol. Life's too short, enjoy the watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information