Doxa Sub 300T Sharkhunter 1971

Thread: Doxa Sub 300T Sharkhunter 1971

Doxa Sub 300T Sharkhunter 1971

Hi, I would like to know if anybody can tell me if there is a way to refill the hands on the watch? They have lost some of the luminous fill. Also Is it better to send the watch back to Doxa and have them do the service on it or is it possible to have it done in the states? Any help would be grateful. Thanks, Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Doxa Sub 300T Sharkhunter 1971

very nice. i am not to familiar with servicing, but rest assured someone will answer.

good luck
    Thanks Nick

easily done, send it to Jack Alexyon at IWW....

Jack has relumed more watches than you can count, including some extraordinary Doxas.
    Google IWW, he's in NC.
    DW

PS: http://www.angelfire.com/blues/andca...Firstpage.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Yes, the hands can be re-lumed. On top of that, it is important that the old loose lume be cleaned out of the watch. It can work it's way into the movement and wreak havoc. Jack is the top choice of those here in the USA, there may be others if you're in another part of the world (I'm sure there are others here too, it's just that Jack is pretty much a unanimous choice as the best ).
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    ...it is important that the old loose lume be cleaned out of the watch. It can work it's way into the movement and wreak havoc. Jack is the top choice of those here in the USA, there may be others if you're in another part of the world (I'm sure there are others here too, it's just that Jack is pretty much a unanimous choice as the best ).
    T-Bone is 110% correct on both accounts; clean out the loose lume and get the old lume on the dial and hands either removed (and replaced) or stabilized before it works its way into the movement through the date window opening.

I was in the same position as you and opted to have Jack Alexyon at Industrial Watch Works perform a sympathetic restoration (keeping the aged look vs going for the NOS look). Jack removed the old cracking lume and replace it with new luminova in the same shade as the old tritium lume.

It is well known vintage watches (depending on rarity, condition and provenance) are worth more unrestored, but if the watch is going to be worn or if the old lume is threatening to come loose then get it evaluated by a restoration professional.

Congrats on the US Diver Sharkie; it's a real beauty and I hope it brings you as much joy as my old timer has brought me.

That is a nice restoration of the old Sharkie.
    Mine looks similar to the one in question, although my lume is not cracked, just faded, and I'm happy with it like that for now.
    BTW is that bezel bead blasted - the matt finish is quite nice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopath View Post
    That is a nice restoration of the old Sharkie.
    Mine looks similar to the one in question, although my lume is not cracked, just faded, and I'm happy with it like that for now.
    BTW is that bezel bead blasted - the matt finish is quite nice?
    I wouldn't have had mine restored if it looked as good as your Sharkie does. I think mine was used as a puck for a season of street hockey. The crystal was a mess.

Jack gave the bezel a circular brushing to match the case. It's subtle, but tasteful.

Thread Information