Doxa Sub 50th anniversary next year. Limited run solid gold sub?
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Doxa Sub 50th anniversary next year. Limited run solid gold sub?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Doxa Sub 50th anniversary next year. Limited run solid gold sub?

Probably too late to develop it, even for Christmas of 2017. But what do you guys think of a 50 piece run of numbered solid gold Subs? Either a throwback 300 or just using the 1200t? I think it would be a great idea. Hear me out. (Provided it wouldn't kill Doxa to actually make the things!). 50 years, 50 pieces, gold anniversary. Yes Doxa is very tool like and such, but gold is a very stable metal, I believe more so than stainless! There would be probably 5,000 worth of gold in the thing, so let price it at $10,000. It would severely undercut gold Submariners and Seamasters in the Doxa tradition. Just imagine that beads of rice bracelet with the midas touch...

Re: Doxa Sub 50th anniversary next year. Limited run solid gold sub?

Hey Stirling,
    I don't believe it will commemorate the 50 years via that choice of build material ....im hoping they take a "oldie" in SS and fine tune it for the 50 years and times that by a run multiplied by 50 years by 365 days...none of us will see their 100th anniversary..a fairly priced unique anniversary sub for all with that production run possibility is my choice,few different colored dials possibly in the release...to each their own...my 2 bobs worth.all the best Dave

Oh no, please DONT!

DOXA is attracted by hardcore divers or dive watches that are consider hardcore. A gold sub will kill that tool spirit to lots folks IMHO. It will be a failure than success. Never going for that route.

re-issue of 300T 100% true to original spec with 50th Anniversay logo on case back, limited to 50pcs or 1200pcs same as original price. Something simple, classy will do fine.

Anniversary is a time to celebrate for the company and fans both party to be happy. Not the time to milk fans for more money for Limited Edition. I hope DOXA hear me saying this loud and clear.
    Last edited by wuyeah; February 22nd, 2016 at 12:25.
    ShaggyDog, DaveandStu and Genebe like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Gold Edition!! That's a nice thought!! Put me in for one…but not on the 1200 mould please…the 800 will do just fine…like the M31, my favourite!!!

Michael
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Michael,
    Thanks for your vote of confidence! I was merely trying to make the point that I personally don't think Doxa would be selling out if they did a gold 50 years limited edition if they priced it correctly. Gold is used in many many industrial applications including the heat shielding of the McLaren F1 engine bay, an astronauts visor and the dental repairs sported my more than a few of us! It's stable base metal lack of corrosiveness makes a good if not expensive choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling Moss View Post
    Probably too late to develop it, even for Christmas of 2017. But what do you guys think of a 50 piece run of numbered solid gold Subs? Either a throwback 300 or just using the 1200t? I think it would be a great idea. Hear me out. (Provided it wouldn't kill Doxa to actually make the things!). 50 years, 50 pieces, gold anniversary. Yes Doxa is very tool like and such, but gold is a very stable metal, I believe more so than stainless! There would be probably 5,000 worth of gold in the thing, so let price it at $10,000. It would severely undercut gold Submariners and Seamasters in the Doxa tradition. Just imagine that beads of rice bracelet with the midas touch...
    Well I'm not spending 10,000 on one....id make other choices even some of the t-graphs are proving hard to sell and they are 40 year anniversary ....but to each their own ...Doxa will ultimately decide and I'm sure it will be great..nice thread,all the best Dave

Not that I would or could go for one but I think it's a great idea. Even G-shock has done some gold models (might have been a one off) to commemorate an anniversary. I'd say 10 would be a good number, for the really hard cor collectors. If they want to keep price down then go with a current issue or what they have in development and do a special run of that.

How about two-tone steel and 18k yellow gold, using the current type DOXA SUB 1500T new style bracelet in a two-tone version in combination with a gold outer bezel ring ala Bretiling along with a Caribbean blue dial ala Rolex Sub? Also a gold (printed) 50th anniversary badge in the lower left quadrant of the dial ala DOXA of course. Would adding gold hour markers be too much? I'm just wonderin' how it would look if DOXA outstyled those guys at their own game while staying true to the core Sub design ☺

I think a very limited edition of a 50th Anniversary in gold would be amazing! I couldn't afford one, but that doesn't mean I don't think it would be supercool.

But I'd also like to see a new limited edition SUB 300T in the original colors. Professional, Sharkhunter, Divingstar, and Searambler. Maybe a Caribbean and a NUMA thrown in too.

By the way, I still think a red faced Pirate would be really something!
    Formula1980 likes this.

I don't hate the gold idea; if it happened (and I had more dough), I might go for it...
    Rolex 16600 Seadweller | DOXA 750T Sharkhunter | Apple Watch 3 | GShock DW5600

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information