Doxa SUB750T time-keeping accuracy

Thread: Doxa SUB750T time-keeping accuracy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doxa SUB750T time-keeping accuracy

Greetings fellow DOXA Fans!

I recently acquired my first DOXA - a SUB750T Military Edition. I'm absolutely thrilled with the timepiece! As it's my first purchase of a watch w/ an automatic movement, I was wondering what the SUB750T's typical timekeeping accuracy is? I've noticed that it loses about 10s over a 24 hour period of constant wearing. Is this standard for the 2824 movement?

Thank you all for any replies.

Re: Doxa SUB750T time-keeping accuracy

The ETA 2824-2 used in the Doxa Sub is a non-COSC movement. Being such, the maximum range of accuracy is +- 15 sec/ 24 hr. I have 4 Doxas and their ranges are 0,2,9 and 10 sec. fast per day. If you are greater than 15 sec call Doxa. The other thing that is important is whether the watch has been appropriately wound. Doxa recommends wind a stopped watch 35 turns and thereafter 20 every other day. shaking the movement like you would with a Seiko is not recommended. Normally you should wait 6 weeks before you make any decisions about accuracy. this is what is referred to as the run in or break in period. If you have any valid accuracy problems Doxa will take excellent care of you. I can vouch for this from personal experirence. BTW anything less than +- 6 sec/ 24 Hrs. is within COSC standards. This is not uncommon for standard 2824-2 ETA Doxas. Hope you are enjoying your new Doxa as much as I enjoy mine.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Quote Originally Posted by jstawasz View Post
    The ETA 2824-2 used in the Doxa Sub is a non-COSC movement. Being such, the maximum range of accuracy is +- 15 sec/ 24 hr. I have 4 Doxas and their ranges are 0,2,9 and 10 sec. fast per day. If you are greater than 15 sec call Doxa. The other thing that is important is whether the watch has been appropriately wound. Doxa recommends wind a stopped watch 35 turns and thereafter 20 every other day. shaking the movement like you would with a Seiko is not recommended. Normally you should wait 6 weeks before you make any decisions about accuracy. this is what is referred to as the run in or break in period. If you have any valid accuracy problems Doxa will take excellent care of you. I can vouch for this from personal experirence. BTW anything less than +- 6 sec/ 24 Hrs. is within COSC standards. This is not uncommon for standard 2824-2 ETA Doxas. Hope you are enjoying your new Doxa as much as I enjoy mine.

Joe
    Joe, I can see someone winding the watch if it is fully stopped. But, I have never took the watch off to wind it every other day. I am also not sure if this would be good for the movement, and the unscrewing and screwing of the crown every other day.

Just my 2 cents!
    Thanks Nick

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know it is silly, but I typically wear mine for about an hour, and then take it back off and set it. No rhyme or reason, but this is what I do.

Let your mil sharky "settle in" for 6 months. It will start to keep better time (not that +10sec./day is bad). If you are not happy with it after 6 months, you can have it regulated to very close to perfect time.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

modern movements and run-in periods....

I spoke with a recent grad from Lititz, and they claim that there is no longer a run-in period with modern movements. Today with computer aided micro machining of the many parts of a movement and the superior materials and lubricants, there is actually no longer a run-in period: what you get is what you get.

Back in the day, many parts were made by hand and so a break-in period was expected, but today's parts fit with such precision that they run pretty much as designed from the get-go.

One of these days if I can hold onto a new watch long enough, I'll see if that's true :)
    DW

Re: modern movements and run-in periods....

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    I spoke with a recent grad from Lititz, and they claim that there is no longer a run-in period with modern movements. Today with computer aided micro machining of the many parts of a movement and the superior materials and lubricants, there is actually no longer a run-in period: what you get is what you get.

Back in the day, many parts were made by hand and so a break-in period was expected, but today's parts fit with such precision that they run pretty much as designed from the get-go.

One of these days if I can hold onto a new watch long enough, I'll see if that's true :)
    DW
    Could very well be the case. My mil sharky was keeping +7sec/day when I first got it, but now after 8 months it is keeping +5sec/day. I don't know
    Best Regards,
    Jason

If I have to wind it every other day, it's not an automatic, is it? Or at least not a very good one. I only wind my Sharkhunter when it hasn't been worn for a while to get it started. Then I wear it for several days or a week or two with no winding. It runs about +4-5 sec/day. One of the best automatic movements I own.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post

DW
    While that may be the case with the majority of watches, I've personally seen and heard of some that do indeed change as they "run in". As one example, my Breitling Chrono Avenger was keeping +.4 sec/day when I first got it. Over six months (an extraordinary amount of time for run in by most accounts) it gradually slowed to -12 sec/day. This was excessive based on expectations of their service folks. Being a COSC rated watch, it was warranteed by Breitling to keep time to COSC specs (+6/-4 second per day). It has been stated that most customers prefer a little fast over a little slow, making it much easier to re-set to correct time when one wishes. Mine was regulated under warranty to +3 sec/day and it remains close to this four years later.

Some others I've purchased have run unchanged from new.

BoneWSO, welcome to the forum! Being as your watch is losing 10 seconds a day, it can be adjusted (while true, it is not COSC rated, any properly functioning 2824 should be capable of being regulated to close to those specs by a competent and patient watch maker). As it is not a COSC watch, and is within Doxa Specs, it is unlikely Doxa would cover this under warranty. If they did so, it would be under the heading of "good will", but they have no obligation to do so.

First, make sure the watch is run in for an amount of time that will insure it will not change in the near future (you did not say how old the watch was, it should be run for 6 months minimum from new before adjustment is attempted). Then, try to find a local watch maker that can be trusted to regulate and then properly seal and pressure test the watch (if the watch is still under warranty, you may choose to live with the time loss untill the warranty period is expired, as having someone other than Doxa work on the watch may void the warranty). Another possible option is to ship the watch to Doxa's service center and request regulation at your own expense. This will at least preserve your warranty, though it could get a bit pricey with shippng etc.

As to winding every other day, this can sometimes be nec. when worn by people who are less active than is required to keep an automatic watch properly wound and running. I've only had one occurrence of this with some 16 automatic watches over 5 years. Generally, mine (worn one before work, one during, then going back to the first) run continuously once started, until I place them back in the watch box for over a day.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Hey Welcome BoneWSO, did you have wind up the watch fully when you first restart it, as time keeping is more stable at the tighter end of the main spring.

Your watch is within mechanical watches of non-COSC specs, & i'll give it some time to stabilise - more like a few days to a week. How old is it?

-10s/day would bother me too & the good news is that the ETA 2824 movement can be easily regulated by a competent watch maker.

all the best.

My Mil Sharky is about 5-6 sec / day fast, my vintage Shark 300T about +10; interestingly my only chronometer (non-Doxa) is about+4-5. Even more interesting, my 40 year old Rolex Sub is only about +8 / day, and I'm not sure when it was last serviced! I wind them when they've stopped too, which happens as I can't help changing watches about 1-2 times daily.
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information