Doxa v Ball Diver

Thread: Doxa v Ball Diver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doxa v Ball Diver

I'm considering a major watch purchase - have a handful of divers but that itch is there for something really special. I've got a Ti ecozilla, orange monster, 007 modded in a Sinn Aero style, Bernhardt Sea Shark yellow, and the only watch that I really dive with an Aqualand JP2000. I would like to wear this new watch diving as well.

I want something that looks good at work and casually. I have recently begun to "discover" Doxa, in particular the 800Ti. So, in hopes of learning more I'm interested in finding out about this groups input on the differences between Doxa and Ball, and actually some of the other brands out there that fit my description. Used is no problem and budget is "open" but certainly not at the new price for an 800Ti. More along the lines of $1k - 1.5k.

Thanks for the help!

Brian.

Re: Doxa v Ball Diver

If you like titanium than you can't go wrong with the 800Ti. I love the size but for me I am not a fan of titanium and when I wear a Doxa I want the beads of rice bracelet. It's too bad because I actually really LOVE tritium tubes!
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

That's really what's drawn me to both Ball and the 800Ti - the Tritium tubes. I do like the Ti of the Eco-zilla and don't necessarily need the "heft" of stainless in the watch. I do really like the other bracelet but then you give up the ratchet feature as well and if I'm using for diving that may be a very useful feature to keep it on my wrist over my wetsuit. Although - when I dive Caribbean it's typically rash guard and board shorts for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ball do Tritium tubes much better than Doxa, Doxa are unique through their consistent design and bezel.

So if it's for tubes, do Ball
    The unique Doxa look, do Doxa

Comment from DOXA
    DOXA generally refrains from commenting member's posting, but in this case, something should be clarified; There is only one Swiss source (manufacturer) for Tritium tubes, for safety reasons those tritium tubes must comply to the >25mc limit, so it is basically impossible that complying tubes could glow more than the tubes DOXA uses.

So evidently , this is incorrect

DOXA

Evidently not

Ball are licensed in the US to use 100mCi and Doxa only 25mCi. The individual tubes are all well well below 25mCi, this means Ball can use more tubes than Doxa and therefore glow more brightly.
    Last edited by putnam dan; April 17th, 2010 at 16:47. Reason: Edited to explain Doxas incorrect thinking

Ball makes excellent watches, it's just that I don't care for Ball's idea of aesthetics. Ball watches look generic and non-distinctive.

Tritium markers are nice, but far from necessary.
    The silent world awaits.

Doxa 5000T Professional, 5000T Caribbean, 1000T Divingstar COSC, 4000T Sapphire Pro

I think both are great Quality. The Ball EMII is a bit dressier, with the guilloche dial etc., but the big numerals are a turn off to some. I think they look unique. They are using more tritium lit panels in their new models. I think Doxas are neater and more unique looking in terms of their retro styling. If they made a B of R for the 800ti, I'd say go with that one, but it I think it comes down to whether you want a rounded case or a cushion case, and retro or modern styling.

Collection Favorites: OMEGA, Tudor, Smiths, Ball, Doxa, Zodiac, Squale, Eterna, Stowa, Seiko, D. Freemont, Accutron, Glycine, Tissot, NTH, Borealis, Manchester WatchWorks, Steinhart, Dan Henry

Quote Originally Posted by putnam dan View Post
    Ball do Tritium tubes much better than Doxa, Doxa are unique through their consistent design and bezel.

So if it's for tubes, do Ball
    The unique Doxa look, do Doxa

Comment from DOXA
    Although, we really hate to add comments to member's posting, but this should be clarified; There is only one source for Tritium tubes and they comply to >25mc, so I wonder how can a less than >25mc tube glow more than than the tube DOXA use.

Pardon me, this is absolutely incorrect

DOXA
    Although I hate to have to correct the expert, and won't object if you correct your statement. Though using the tubes from the same manufacturer, Ball do indeed use more of them in their designs to, in some cases, achieve T100, whereas Doxa only T25. You may also want to put your > the right way around as your indicating to comply with a greater than requirement, whereas the requirement is to have less than.

However I was referring to the innovative use of tubes. Your design regarding tubes is 'through maintaining the Doxa style' very basic, whereas Ball is using tubes much more creatively as it is their signature.

Your uniqueness is your cushion design, your orange and divers bezel with UN no decompression table, and they are beauties because of it.
    Last edited by putnam dan; April 9th, 2010 at 16:49.

Quote Originally Posted by be_diver View Post
    I'm considering a major watch purchase - have a handful of divers but that itch is there for something really special. I've got a Ti ecozilla, orange monster, 007 modded in a Sinn Aero style, Bernhardt Sea Shark yellow, and the only watch that I really dive with an Aqualand JP2000. I would like to wear this new watch diving as well.

I want something that looks good at work and casually. I have recently begun to "discover" Doxa, in particular the 800Ti. So, in hopes of learning more I'm interested in finding out about this groups input on the differences between Doxa and Ball, and actually some of the other brands out there that fit my description. Used is no problem and budget is "open" but certainly not at the new price for an 800Ti. More along the lines of $1k - 1.5k.

Thanks for the help!

Brian.
    Brian,

I have owned the Doxa SUB 800Ti and a host of Ball watches over the past few years. Doxa and Ball are far and away my favorite brands.

The Doxa SUB 800Ti and many of the Ball divers are "T25," which means that they have 25mCi or less of total tritium content. The individual tubes used on the Doxa and those Balls with similar-sized tubes all glow with equal brightness. On this point Doxa is correct. For example, there is little-if-any difference in brightness between the Doxa 800Ti and the first generation Ball Fireman, which uses approximately the same-sized tubes.

Ball has obtained a license from the NRC to import watches that have up to 100mCi total tritium content. This allows Ball to purchase tubes from MB Microtec that are larger (hence, more tritium) and it also allows Ball to put more tubes in a single watch, so long as the total tritium content is less than 100mCi. Ball also is working right now on new technology along this front.

In short, a Doxa SUB 800Ti is just as bright as a Ball that has the same number and size of tubes.

I highly recommend the 800Ti if you don't have to wear long sleeved shirts. The lightweight titanium and ratcheting clasp make it extremely confortable, especially on those sweaty summer days. It's nice to be able to micro-adjust the bracelet as my wrist swells/shrinks throughout the day. For me the Ti also is nice because summer is when my allergy to the nickel in stainless steel rears its ugly head. Also, very few of Ball's offerings have the depth rating of the Doxa.

I highly recommend the Ball EMII Diver if you are looking for something that dresses up well and looks good on straps as well as the bracelet. The Ball also has greater anti-magnetic resistance.

Keep in mind that tritium is a brand distinctive for Ball. The brand distinctive for Doxa Subs is the unique look/design. I personally love the look of the Doxa SUB line-up, which is why I've acquired 11 over the years. I also love the brightness and durability of Ball watches, which is why I've acquired 32 over the years. Either brand will serve you well. Very well.

Rob
    Last edited by roberev; April 9th, 2010 at 19:40.

Doxa definitely is no slouch in the lume department!

Some Ball / Doxa lume comparisons shots from an old post found here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...light=lume+war

Louisville and Indiana (T10) vs. 800Ti (T25): (Winner: Doxa)

White Train (T65?) vs. 800Ti (T25): (Tie)

Aviator (T100) vs. 800Ti (T25): (Winner: Ball)

Rob

Wouldn't comparison with the divers be better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information