• 2 Post By Horoticus
  • 2 Post By Diogenes
  • 1 Post By dinexus
  • 2 Post By subkrawler

Thread: Doxas not ISO divers?

Doxas not ISO divers?

Just curious, the discussion emerged here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/best...3720130-4.html

Some people got offended because I said the Sub is the favourite diver for desk divers, they answered the Doxa is not really a diver because not ISO certified according to 6425...that sounds strange to me, even a simple Seiko Turtle is certified, but I prefer to rely on the competence of the people of this board.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Re: Doxas not ISO divers?

As a diver of 34 years with all types of advanced certifications, including instructor, I don't need an agency like ISO telling me what is, or what isn't a dive watch. I've gone from solely using a watch and tables back in '84, to a digital bottom timer and tables around '89, to a computer in '00, and then back to a watch and a hybrid form of tables that I calculate in my head in '03...so I've come full circle, and I know what works and doesn't work. I started with a Tag Heuer F1, then a Tag Heuer F1 Chrono (eventually flooded), then a Rolex Sea-dweller (because I was finally done with the flooding F1 Chrono) and then an assortment of other divers (Rolex Sub, Rolex Sub Date, IWC, Korsbek, Aquadive) as the dive watch collecting bug hit, and I dive my DOXAs (as my primary dive timer) 99% of the time. Why? Because they work, and even more importantly to me, they have an incredible history and they really care about what their customer base, which contains a great number of divers, thinks about their watches. You won't get that with Rolex or BP and that's what takes a cold chunk of metal, and gives it a soul. In my opinion ISO is for noobs, and desk divers who don't have enough experience in the sport to know up from down. It's nice material for discussion on a dive watch forum, but if you need ISO to tell you what qualifies as a dive watch, you better just go and use a computer.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

^ *drops mic*
    kgtardiff and Paco II like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree the Rolexist argument is laughable but everytime the topic "what is the most iconic dive watch?" they always use it, doesn't matter if a $300 Seiko can comply.

I've read the ISO in question and from the tests it appears quite bland, I am pretty sure a Doxa watch should fullfill its requirements, for instance:

ISO 6425 also provides minimum requirements for mechanical diver's watches (quartz and digital watches have slightly differing readability requirements) such as:

• The presence of a unidirectional bezel with at least at every 5 minutes elapsed minute markings and a pre-select marker to mark a specific minute marking.
    • The presence of clearly distinguishable minute markings on the watch face.
    • Adequate readability/visibility at 25 cm (9.8 in) in total darkness.
    • The presence of an indication that the watch is running in total darkness. This is usually indicated by a running second hand with a luminous tip or tail.
    • Magnetic resistance. This is tested by 3 expositions to a direct current magnetic field of 4,800 A/m. The watch must keep its accuracy to ± 30 seconds/day as measured before the test despite the magnetic field.
    • Shock resistance. This is tested by two shocks (one on the 9 o'clock side, and one to the crystal and perpendicular to the face). The shock is usually delivered by a hard plastic hammer mounted as a pendulum, so as to deliver a measured amount of energy, specifically, a 3 kg hammer with an impact velocity of 4.43 m/s. The change in rate allowed is ± 60 seconds/day.
    • Chemical resistance. This is tested by immersion in a 30 g/l NaCl solution for 24 hours to test its rust resistance. This test water solution has a salinity comparable to normal seawater.
    • Strap/band solidity. This is tested by applying a force of 200 N (45 lbf) to each spring bar (or attaching point) in opposite directions with no damage to the watch or attachment point.
    • The presence of an End Of Life (EOL) indicator on battery powered watches.

I must pipe in and agree with Cuthbert.
    I remember seeing my first Doxa Pro Sub in person in the late 1970's on the wrist of a friend of mine, who was Pararescue, at Patrick AFB Florida. The man would not have had anything on his wrist that was not keeping with his own personal quality standards. Most Special Forces guys I knew wore Seiko divers, largely because they were available in the BX and were inexpensive and reliable. Some that were stationed in Europe came home with CWC divers, or the odd issue GSA watch.
    I never saw any Rolex's on the wrist of anyone, save the few flag officers or civilian managers.
    The Doxa sub is a tool watch, with as solid a heritage in the water as any on the market! I like the Omega SMP and PO as well. But the ONE true watch that was built for water is the Doxa Sub!
    kgtardiff and cuthbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    In my opinion ISO is for noobs, and desk divers who don't have enough experience in the sport to know up from down. It's nice material for discussion on a dive watch forum, but if you need ISO to tell you what qualifies as a dive watch, you better just go and use a computer.
    REKT

In addition to that though, the fact that the modern DOXA build quality exceeds that of their editions that were once available direct from dive shops is more than enough for me.
    Last edited by dinexus; November 8th, 2016 at 17:13.
    DaveandStu likes this.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dinexus View Post
    REKT

In addition to that though, the fact that the modern DOXA build quality exceeds that of their editions that were once available direct from dive shops is more than enough for me.
    I never really thought of it that way, but you make an excellent point. Once sold by US Divers as an integral part of a dive system, but not nearly the watch as a modern Sub...that's strong.
    dinexus and perfectlykevin like this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Can't really add on to what everyone else has said. But I love my Doxa. It, and my Seiko, are the only two watches I've worn in the water. Though the Seiko far more frequently because I'm forced to drysuit dive in cold Canadian waters - and it has a strap that's long enough.

But, no. I wouldn't worry a nano-second about diving with a brand new Doxa.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Thread Information