DWL Book...... Appreciate some feedback

Thread: DWL Book...... Appreciate some feedback

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DWL Book...... Appreciate some feedback

Guys,

as you are aware. I had an absolute nightmare time with the printers for the book. I was unable to find a publisher so had to go for the print it myself route. The printers have screwed me around big time and will only be sending out the bulk of the books from today. I've been searching for an alternative but have a real problem finding an alternative to the printer for the books. Most want 65 - 75 dollars for each book!!!!!!!!!!

One company have been very helpful. They can do a hardback in black and white for less than 25 dollars but they suggested they could do partial colour. Colour cover and selected pages inside in colour

I've asked for a quote with 50 colour pages. Hoping I could sell the book for less than 40 dollars hardback

I'm thinking first page of each chapter and foreword so the legends are in colour then selective great images. I just reformatted the complete manuscript to grayscale with 60 colour pages and the blueprints actually look great in black and white.

I know it kills a lot of great images but as it stands the 250 books may be the only ones ever. If I go this way then the stories get out there which really is what the book is about not the images. It also means the original edition becomes really special.

I know that a lot more people would be interested in buying the book if it was around 35 - 40 bucks as opposed to 70

What do you think?

Pete

Re: DWL Book...... Appreciate some feedback

I had no problem with paying more than that for the Doxa Sub Forty years book..............
    "The Best Dives Start With A Giant Stride"
    Doxa Army
    Doxa Sub 250T Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub 300 Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub 300 U.S. Divers “Blacklung”
    Doxa Sub 300T U.S. Divers Conquistador
    Doxa Sub 300T U.S..Divers Sharkhunter “Silver Shark”
    Doxa Sub 300T U.S..Divers Searambler
    Doxa Sub 300T U.S..Divers/Syncron Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub 300T U.S..Divers Professional
    Doxa Sub 600T Spirotechnique Professional
    Etc.

Pete, I really think that your DivingWithLegends.com website could sell the book at $70 if you just get the word out through the many diving forums and word of mouth. If you expand the website to include the photos of the Legends being presented with their DWL Doxa watches and their personal copies of the DWL book at the Chicago 2010 Our World Underwater Show, that should sell the book all by itself.

I walked around that show floor and noticed that every diver working a booth had quality dive watch on their wrist. They're really into diving, it's their life. Many would crave the fabulous writing in the DWL book. They would appreciate the quality of the book. It's not the type of book to just put on a shelf. There's a reason they call them "coffee table books." Because people put them out for display for others to see and flip through when visiting. My Doxa 40 Year book is on my coffee table.

Photos sell. The power of the internet is amazing. I think your proven track record of a quality book with the Doxa SUB book really helps your DWL book as well.

Your www.doxa300t.com website should link to your www.divingwithlegends.com site and Doxa should have a link from their home page as well. Your book can only help bring attention to their watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Doc, have any of the Legends yet pointed any of their publishers to the book? Seems like an in that needs to at least be explored. I think any publisher who doesn't jump at a chance to be associated with a great piece of work like this is just plain missing the boat! The collection of stories and photographs is priceless, and such a compilation is AFAIK unprecedented.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Pete, any book from you for $75-$100 would sell. What is important would be the execution. As long as it was well made and had a nice cover (something that would look good on a coffee table or nice on a shelf), then it is not going to fly right off the shelves, but it will sell quite well.

JMHO
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Guys,

thanks. I may have got it sorted........... perhaps second edition coming up

Just need to get distribution sorted out. Might be tougher nut to crack but working on that too.

Pete

Pete.... It's a special book, it's worth whatever it costs to get it out the door in First Class condition. Let me know when you are ready with several copies on hand and not in a rush pulling your hair out, as I am interested in a copy. (even though I don't have a Doxa LOL).
    Regards,

TKite
    Commercial Diver

Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL, 3300ft/1000m
    Zinex Trimix, 6600ft/2000m
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, 3300ft/1000m
    Tissot Seastar 1000, 1000ft/300m
    Seiko Land Monster 660ft/200m
    Seiko "pepsi", 660ft/200m
    Timex Humvee, 660ft/200m

Off topic Off Topic: DOXA Sub 40 Years Book

Quote Originally Posted by lilreddivinghood
    I had no problem with paying more than that for the Doxa Sub Forty years book..............
    Is this book still available and where can it be bought / ordered?

Thanks and apologies for this off-topic post :oops:

Back to the scheduled programming

RonB

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Re: Off Topic: DOXA Sub 40 Years Book

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Is this book still available and where can it be bought / ordered?

Thanks and apologies for this off-topic post :oops:

Back to the scheduled programming

RonB
    It's still available, and can be bought straight from the DOXA website. At the top of this page, look for the "colllection" tab. In the drop down box you'll see "DOXA Gear". There you'll see the page tab for the book.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

As Jason said, the execution and quality presentation is important. I have no problem paying up to $100. What's $100 these days! Doesn't cover a diner with a good glass of vine for my Lady and I! And this book is a class act. Please put me down for two!
    Regards,
    Michael
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information