DWL ebook test file

Thread: DWL ebook test file

DWL ebook test file

Guys,

for those who have ipads here is a test chapter pdf. Tried to make it small and readable and still have images which weren't too bad.

I'd certainly appreciate if anyone would test it out. I use Goodreader. Best 3 bucks you will spend.

First image is pixalated as it was bad image to start with. Also if you read it full screen on your computer images will look bad but on the ipad screen they are ok especially given the overall file size.

http://www.divingwithlegends.com/dwltest.pdf

thanks

Pete

Re: DWL ebook test file

Looks decent overall and image quality is fine. You might want to consider adding some margin space horizontally between the text blocks and the images. Visually, it's a little cramped as the text bumps against the images.

Pete,

Looks good on the ipad, views fine as a pdf on my MacBook pro. Having not seen the original book, I don't have a reference point for the layout, but as a graphic designer with lots of book publishing experience, I'm interested in what page layout program you used.

Any other testing you might need, just let me know. Look forward to hearing from you.

Michael

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the feedback.

I'll look at the margin space around the images.

What I did different from the actual book is change the font to Ariel, size 10 and switch to 1 column instead of 2.

That way I was able to keep the same number of pages and keep the images pretty much the same size.

I'll do a couple more chapters and let you have a look at them.

I used Microsoft Publisher to write the book. Works pretty well. For the ebook it was just a matter of resizing the page and changing things until it looked right. Biggest problem was getting the size right so it fit the Goodreader screen. I think I have that pretty much sussed now.

I don't know if Kindle or Sony readers would handle the PDF but as they are not colour, it probably would look awful anyway.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    I don't know if Kindle or Sony readers would handle the PDF but as they are not colour, it probably would look awful anyway.

Pete
    Works fine on my Kindle. Text is a little small, but that is because Kindle sizes the PDF for a whole page view, and I have the standard Kindle--would probably be okay on the bigger model. The images render pretty well, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick1016 View Post
    Works fine on my Kindle. Text is a little small, but that is because Kindle sizes the PDF for a whole page view, and I have the standard Kindle--would probably be okay on the bigger model. The images render pretty well, actually.
    Thanks for the heads up. The text size is always going to be the crux of the matter. I could make it bigger but then I need to start deleting a bunch of images or the page count goes through the roof. It's 300 odd as it is. I'm doing it primarily for the ipad because of the colour and price it cheap. Probably won't sell many but nice to have it to carry around.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. The text size is always going to be the crux of the matter. I could make it bigger but then I need to start deleting a bunch of images or the page count goes through the roof. It's 300 odd as it is. I'm doing it primarily for the ipad because of the colour and price it cheap. Probably won't sell many but nice to have it to carry around.

Pete
    Makes sense to me. I think the trend with e-readers might be toward the larger Ipad/Kindle DX screen size anyway. Plus, let's face it...a Doxa photo in B&W just isn't the same, no matter how well the picture renders.

OK ebook reader and iPad people, here is the next test file.

http://www.divingwithlegends.com/introtest.pdf

If this one works then I think I'm good to go for conversion.

Look closely, you may recognize a couple of Searaider forum members

Pete

Hi Pete ... yes I recognize a couple Searaider forum members and fine members they are!!!

John

Thread Information