A few thoughts on the new SUB 800Ti

Thread: A few thoughts on the new SUB 800Ti

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A few thoughts on the new SUB 800Ti

I guess the forum has been a bit of a Pete Millar thing the last few days and I may have stolen a bit of the new 800Ti's thunder so in way of amends, here are a few thoughts on the new watch.

First off, I think any association with the name Army should be dropped. When it was first used in the initial thread many people had visions of a reissue of the vintage Army SUB. The 800Ti couldn't be further from that watch if you had beaten it to a pulp with a hammer. Call it the SUB 800Ti and leave it at that. It means than that if Doxa ever do decide to make a reissue of the Classic Army SUB the name is free and there is no possibility of confusion. If you want to refer to the MIL spec used for the Tritium tubes, do so in the watch info blurb, but leave it out of the name. There was a bit of a backlash the last time claims were made for the MIL-SUB. People can see through "stretched" claims easily. Ahhhh, ahhhhh, excuse me...achoooooooooo, sorry, I'm alergic to BS

OK having got that out of the way, I have to say I think the watch looks fantastic. It is better than I could have imagined and I think the twin tubes on the minute hand is a work of genious as was including a tube on the bezel.

I know that many people would have liked a rice bead bracelet, but I think the 5000T bracelet was a better choice. In terms of strength, stability and looks, I think it is way ahead of the original 750T ricebead bracelet. Case in point. I was diving with the 300T reissue Irishstar in Cayman. It uses the same divers extension clasp as on the 750T. When I got underwater the watch kept slipping down my wetsuit onto my wrist. I eventually had to wear the watch under the wetsuit cuff. I believe having the ability to manipulate the ratchet clasp on the 5000T would have prevented that. I'm sure one of the Searaiders will chime in here because the 5000T was used underwater on several dives. Todd, any thoughts?

For mr also the ratchet clasp was great in the summer. My wrists swole a bit in the heat and releasing the clasp one click made it nice and comfortable again. Of course, Doxa could have used the ratchet clasp on a ricebead bracelet, but I thinbk it was better to use the complete 5000T bracelet. I honestly think it gives more of a substantial tool watch look.

The 5000T bracelet has a vague resemblance to the ricebead...well it does for me looking through one eye with a bandage on the other and doped with meds

The use of Titanium is something many peope have been asking about for some time now. Again I think it is a good choice and brings a really new SUB to the table. Doxa have long been charged with just rehashing the same old thing. A valid point in many ways but when you have such an icon as the SUB you can't do too much without losing that distinct style and form and recognisability. The use of Titanium and Tritiun Tubes in a 750T case is Doxa's way of saying "you asked for the excotic stuff... here it is... but it still is instantly recognisable as a Doxa SUB". The use of Titanium also means that the watch should be significantly lighter than the 750T and depending on the grade of Ti and whatever surface treatment processes used, it should be fairly scratch proof as well.

I believe the increase in height from 14 to 15mm over the standard 750T is to accomodate the diameter of the Tritium tubes. I'd gues at least 0.75mm of that height is purely to accomodate the tubes. I liked the 750T because the caseback was relatively thin and had a large surface area. The SUB 1000T caseback was increased in thickness just to make the watch taller, not because the movement needed to be recessed as was once said....ahhhh, ahhhh,, excuse me I'm going to sneeze again. Just like me many people have caseback openers, it doesn't take much to verify claims.

I like shallower watches with flatter casebacks because they sit in the wrist better, the center of gravity is lower and that makes them more stable. Take a look at the back of an Omega Ploprof if you ever get the chance. It is another iconic dive watch. The back is flatter than a witches tit and ridged. It hugs the wrist and a wetsuit like a limpet. Making casebacks thicker just to increase the height because of a marketing or esthetic reason is taking away from the ethos of being a dive watch and is just pandering to the glitz, and bling boys. The Doxa SUB is without question on of the best dive watches in existance, lets keep it that way.

I like Tritium tubes, so you won't hear me say a bad word about their use on the 800Ti. 12.32 years half life means they will still be glowing strongly long after Superluminova has fallen off the hands and through the date window into the movement.... just kidding... seriously though, i think we can expect great things from the dial and hands when we see a lume shot.

OK that's about it. Bit of a ramble about something we have only seen a few images of. I'm looking forward to the first hands on from people who have ordered one. Get those cameras out boys..... because once again I think Doxa have a real classic on their hands.

Pete

Re: A few thoughts on the new SUB 800Ti

A very fair assessment and critique of the new watch Pete, and well done writing that with one good eye

Excellent assessment Pete. Glad to have you back thinking about Doxa Watches again.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 on all points!

Rob

Nicely said and on point. The 800Ti is nowhere near a Army re-issue. I assume it was partly nostalgia on DOXA's part associating a new military spec piece to the former "Army".

In any event, the 800Ti is a solid new offer in its own right. I ordered one immediately after seeing the release. I hope to have it on my wrist and more importantly for you all in photos once it arrives.

-luke

+1 on the bracelet. The rice bead bracelet has been beaten to death over the years with countless of models having it - enough already; I mean enough!!!! I applaud them for going with a new bracelet in the 5000T and 800Ti Maybe a rice bead bracelet could be offered as an "option" for those diehard traditional doxaholics. This is very easily accomplished by only creating model-specific end-links to fit the bracelet.
    It would be nice to get a refreshingly new style bracelet every couple of years. But make sure you keep that ratcheting clasp cause it's the best and most useful clasp in the market, next to Seiko's similar offering.

Excellent points, Dr. Millar - well said.

I am very excited about the DOXA Sub 800Ti - Titanium and Tritium tubes, what's not to like?

I do have a couple of questions/comments that have not been answered elsewhere - maybe we can find out?

1. Are the Tritium tubes made by mb-microtec? If so, which color (see chart HERE) is used? If not mb-microtec, who is the manufacturer? I own several watches with the GTLS (Gaseous Tritium Light Source) tubes, and they are not all created equal.

2. I understand the explanation from DOXA that the use of a luminous paint on the seconds hand would be "inconsistent" with the Tritium tubes, and that a Tritium tube on the second hand would be heavy and put undue stress on the movement, but no lume at all? Just an open frame? Sorry, but it looks like somebody forgot to paint in the lume on the seconds hand. Is it possible to have lume painted on the second hand as an option? For me, this is an important point.

Again, the 800Ti is a great step forward from DOXA and I applaud the effort.

Answers to these two questions would, I am sure, push even more people over the edge to order

.:thanks
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Pete, Glad you are ok! Also, I am sooo glad you posted this assessment of the new "Army" which is not an army at all. I was really hoping for the "Army" reissue with state of the art improvements. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the new Sharkhunter model with the tritum tubes and the ratcheting dive extention...LOVE IT. I love the rice beads but I can't justify having the same looking watch with a different color dial so the 5000T style bracelet on this one was a nice choice. I want one and the price is right but still a bunch. May wait for a secondary market but not sure yet...it is just so beautiful! I still want to learn to dive but these watch offerings keep taking my funds!

I forgot to add this bit and was reminded by Gaijin's post.

Regarding the naked sweep hand, I can understand how the tritium tube would weigh down the second hand but if you look at Ball Watches you will see that they incorporate a sizable tube on all their sweep hands so I'm not sure I totally buy into the shag the movement argument too much. However, the Doxa sweep hand is traditionally made with a square end bit and I doubt you could get a tube in that configuration.

Personally rather than leave a hole in the hand I'd have used the blue sweep hand from the SUB 300T Reissue Seahunters model. It wasn't luminous and would differentiate the 800Ti just as well as having a naked hand.

Pete
    Last edited by Flyingdoctor; November 9th, 2008 at 04:26. Reason: spelling

It's true that Ball puts a GTLS tube on the sweep hand of most of its watches. Then again, those Ball models don't have a double tube on the minute hand to "shag the movement."

mb-microtec is the only supplier of GTLS tubes for the entire watch industry. Luminox, Ball, Doxa, et al. all get their tubes from mb-microtec.

As for not all GTLS tubes being created equal, I guess we're going to have to wait for 800Ti buyer reports once the watch starts arriving at doorsteps. I'm not expecting mine to glow like a Ball Aviator.

Rob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information