First Dive - 5000T Seaconqeror Professional

Thread: First Dive - 5000T Seaconqeror Professional

First Dive - 5000T Seaconqeror Professional

First off, let me wish everyone here a Merry Christmas and a happy, safe holiday season.

On the way back to Los Angeles I stopped in at one of the beaches along Santa Barbara for a quick shore dive. Conditions were lousy - quite a bit of a current, and visibility wasn't more than 10 or 15 feet.

Anyhow...I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I didn't have the housing for my camera, so I couldn't take any photos underwater. I'm SORRY!! I'll make it up next time, I promise...

As for the watch's performance, I was diving fairly shallow (36 feet was my maximum depth) but here are my impressions:

1. The ratcheting bracelet is easy to close when the suit or glove compresses, and after a bit of practice, I found it possible to loosen again one handed without removing the watch and potentially losing it. Mind you I wear thick gloves when diving out here in the winter, so it would be very easy, in my opinion, to do this underwater without gloves. I'm very happy with this feature - generally speaking, my 750 would get very loose and spin at depth, whereas I can control the fit now. Great feature. My only nag is I want it to be longer, as it won't fit over the sleeve of my wetsuit without adding another link. Not a deal breaker, as I always wore my 750 on the wrist and not higher up on the sleeve. Last but not least, I never felt concern that I would lose the watch because of a springbar like I did with the 750. Maybe it was an irrational fear, but there were times that I simply put the 750 on a Waterborne strap for added insurance. I doubt that I'll ever take the bracelet off the 5000, as it is so robust.

2. The stainless steel hands and indices took a little bit of getting used to compared to the black hands on the 750. This isn't to say they weren't legible - they were easy to read, but my perception is still skewed given my familiarity with the 750. Having said that, I didn't have an issue checking my bottom time. If anything, the polished bezel was more distracting to my eye than the hands and indices, and I had a similar distraction on the my 750 but that's pretty much a non factor, given that the bezel ring is all nicked up and scratched and is now easier to read! I'm sure the same will happen with the Seaconqueror once I've worn it long enough.

3. Domed crystal vs. flat - I've never had a problem with flat crystals underwater, since I don't check bottom time from an angle, so there's no difference in my experience between the two. It does give the 5000T a different feel in daily wear, but I have no observations regarding its performance underwater. Both work equally well in my opinion.

Anyway, that's my quick write-up on my first dive with the Seaconqueror Professional edition. Hopefully someone with a better camera set-up beats me to providing underwater shots, but as soon as I get some I'll post.

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Re: First Dive - 5000T Seaconqeror Professional

Avi,

Thanks for the review. I was all set to drop the hammer on the 5000T Sharkhunter but now that Doxa is going be releasing the 5000T Military, my purchasing button pushing finger needs to wait just a little bit longer...

Avi,
    I believe you are the first one to dive with the 5000T Pro, or the 5000T PERIOD. Congratulations. Thank you for your first impressions of the 5000T dive performance under water. I had a feeling that the ratcheting clasp would be a big plus for the 5000T. Excellent. Please keep us updated as it may be a while before anyone else (besides J Moors) gets a chance to try it out underwater.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: First Dive - 5000T Seaconqueror Professional

Thanks guys. I wasn't trying for a record though . If I am the first to dive with one, that's pretty cool. If not, it's still pretty cool to dive with one.

Curious to see how other divers feel after giving the 5000 a dip or two.

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Avi,

Glad you had a good dive, even though the conditions weren't exactly ideal. To me, a bad conditions dive is better than no dive at all.

Good news on the ratcheting clasp. I still think it would be great if we could once again see the spring loaded links. This way, the bracelet sizes itself automatically at depth.

So how did the the hands look at depth? Black, silver or somewhere in between?

I haven't said much about the domed crystal becasue it doesn't matter much from a performance perspective. I do like them though, as they have more character. They remind me of a finely ground lens, a precision optic, instead of a flat piece of plate glass.

Overall, great report.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Avi,

Glad you had a good dive, even though the conditions weren't exactly ideal. To me, a bad conditions dive is better than no dive at all.

Good news on the ratcheting clasp. I still think it would be great if we could once again see the spring loaded links. This way, the bracelet sizes itself automatically at depth.

So how did the the hands look at depth? Black, silver or somewhere in between?

I haven't said much about the domed crystal becasue it doesn't matter much from a performance perspective. I do like them though, as they have more character. They remind me of a finely ground lens, a precision optic, instead of a flat piece of plate glass.

Overall, great report.

Thanks Ty! I have to agree with what you usually say - a bad day diving is better than a good day working.

As far as how the hands appeared, sorry - should have been more specific. Looking at the hands straight on I would say they appeared between silver and black, leaning toward silver, and reading them took some getting used to - again, not that they were hard to read, it's just that I'm so used to the 750 Pro, which I've worn on about 60 or 70 dives, so the 5000 will take some getting used to.

Ultimately I think it depends on the angle and the amount of light that's getting through, since sometimes the hands and indices look exactly like the 750 and 1000 series, and sometimes they just leap out as silver and shiny.

All in all, I'm going to keep diving with this one and I should be back in the water this coming weekend, weather and conditions permitting. No problem diving in the rain - reminds me of a memoir I read last year about a marine biologist. Best title ever: "Underwater to get out of the rain."

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    No problem diving in the rain - reminds me of a memoir I read last year about a marine biologist. Best title ever: "Underwater to get out of the rain."
    I love surfacing in a hard rain. The rain pelting the surface of the water, is an awesome sight from below.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Avi .. great report. I am looking forward to trying the 5000T Pro on my up coming dive trip to Roatan ... but that is still a little ways off. 26 Jan. I will be taking several of my watches with me all sub 750's except for the 5000T ... I'll try and give a report on them and my impressions when I get back from that dive.

By the way it sounded like a normal day of diving here in California. hahahahaha All of my diving has been here off the coast of California .. I love the kelp. So the trip to Roatan will be a shock to me ... Not sure how much I'll like it because of the differences but I'm sure it will be a good experience for me.
    John M.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Avi .. great report. I am looking forward to trying the 5000T Pro on my up coming dive trip to Roatan ... but that is still a little ways off. 26 Jan. I will be taking several of my watches with me all sub 750's except for the 5000T ... I'll try and give a report on them and my impressions when I get back from that dive.

By the way it sounded like a normal day of diving here in California. hahahahaha All of my diving has been here off the coast of California .. I love the kelp. So the trip to Roatan will be a shock to me ... Not sure how much I'll like it because of the differences but I'm sure it will be a good experience for me.

Yep, normal day of shore diving out here...I kind of like the challenging conditions, I think it keeps you sharp and more capable of dealing with problems. Having said that, I wouldn't mind diving in Roatan - 78 to 82 degree waters, six-gill sharks, squid at night...terrible, what can I say?

Can't wait to hear about it and how you like the 5000 in its natural environment...

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Thread Information