First post in a looooong time

Thread: First post in a looooong time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First post in a looooong time

Phew, seems like ages since I posted on the forum. lots of things have happened in the interim to keep me busy and away from watches.

Been traveling like a gypsy the last few months and it ain't letting up anytime soon. Hotels, planes and cars seems to be my middle name at the minute. Also just got back from 3 weeks in Ireland. My kids graduated and we had our green card interviews. Happy to say I am now an immigrant ...... whoooowhooooo Next step, citizenship, but a while to go before that happens. in reality it took 38 years but the wait was worth it.

It was brilliant being back home and spending time with my mum and kids and family. We did a trip down to County mayo to go to Cong, where the Quiet man film was shot. John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in a classic movie about Ireland. watch it if you haven't seen it. Hell, watch it again if you have. The trip was so much fun and I brought back a great Blackthorn walking stick.

Also bought a house. holy crap, I've now become Home Depot's best friend. I don't think watches anymore, I think spanners and lawnmowers and mirrors and bathroom stuff and drills and ...... well you all know how that goes. My days of buying watches are now officially over and I'll probably have to sell everything just to paint the deck

I'm officially going broke like the rest of the country

I'm real happy with the house. I always said that when I win the lottery I'll buy 100 acres of land with a house and a load of signs saying "bugger off and leave me alone". That ain't gonna happen but the wee house we have although it has a small garden, backs on to 48 acres of park. Check the view out the window.

It's like owning 50 acres and not having to cut the grass or pay the taxes. Happy man indeed. Just bought a power wash as I need to blast the fence and deck and then paint it.

I now have somewhere to put up all my Doxa watch paintings which are in the book. I'll take a photo when they are up.

I did dig out a couple of watches and take some pics on a chair sitting on the deck in bright sunshine. Quick and dirty but when I get the time and set up the light tent etc, I should be able to get some good shots

On the subject of watches. looks like Doxa have big things in store. The new Searambler should be a beauty and of course the new HRV case has all the makings of the perfect homage to the vintage Conquistador. My thoughts would be to keep the caseback thin to lower the center of gravity of the watch and allow it to sit better on the wrist. The GMT bracelet is a great idea especially for the thicker Synchron style case.

I'm sure there have been some nice mock ups of an orange dial HRV "classic" case SUB made. I'm looking forward to seeing images of the new Rambler and whatever else is coming down the pipe. Might just get me back into watches........ well, after I finish unpacking the 150 boxes that are in the garage

Pete

Re: First post in a looooong time

Welcome Back Pete, nice story of your time away. We like gardening at our place, even do it with the Doxas on,hehehehe.

Regards
    Robt
    " For watches there's always TIME "

I was asked what the time was that was on my watch ?
    Does anybody really know what time it is ?
    Does anybody really care ?
    If so I can't imagine why..........
    I do, I do, I do care about time.
    (Thanks R Lamm)

Well good to see you are back Dr. And that's quite nice real estate you got there :). Wonderful view and everything. You definitely got lucky on the house. Grats. You should take pictures of the house and stuff so we can admire it :).

And I'm sorry to hear about you having to move away from the watches. Sad day indeed. =/. Oh well, I wish you the best of luck in everything, and keep us informed on the house beautification :).
    DOXA Sub 1200T NUMA 01/50

Saving the world one block of C-4 at a time!
    EOD is more than a job in the military. It's a lifestyle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Awesome to hear of the status on the citizenship, Pete: congratulations!. The US has it's issues but it's still one of the better ones out there, and worth fighting for.
    Ahh, home ownership, I know the feeling. I've been sanding window sills and trim for 3 weekends now, getting ready to paint :)
    Great to hear from you.
    David

Pete, I am so happy for you.......and VERY glad to see you back around. The voice of Peter Millar needs to be heard on WatchuSeek!!!!

I really like the place, and I agree.........It is like owning the land and not having to maintain it or pay for it. Good for you.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Doc, great to see you back, we've missed you!

Congrats on immigrant status and looking ahead to citizenship, and double congrats on the new home! As to the reworking a house, done that a couple times myself (opened my Home Depot charge when I did them, and got to know many of the department heads by name ). It's a lot of work, but very satisfying work indeed.

Since no one else has said it yet.... Dibs on the Irish Star! (Doubt I'd be able to afford the Conquistador, but then.... we don't really believe you'll wind up selling them. I'm sure you can work out a way to avoid selling off those treasures ).
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Welcome back Doc, glad to hear you are doing well.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Congrats, Pete on the green cards.

Great to have you back at WUS.

Thanks for the welcome back guys. Actually it does feel like I've been out in the wilderness for a while. The other news I forgot to mention was that I had a check up with the eye surgeon who did my scleral buckle operation (detached retina in Cayman for those who don't know) and I got the big double thumbs up. everything is fine and dandy and don't need to go back to see him for a year. Buckle is holding everything in place nicely and I even got some of the peripheral vision back that I had lost. hell, I'm so happy I might even take diving up again...... ah, no, not really. Snorkeling is my lot from here on in.

Pete

PS if anyone wants to see what the eye operation involved and why I don't want to take the chance diving again, here is a youtube video..... WARNING.. not for the faint of heart or anyone who has just eaten...... definitely no watch content

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YftCbXIw11k

Congradulations Pete and good luck with the house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information