First Post / New 1200T
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Number7
  • 2 Post By subkrawler

Thread: First Post / New 1200T

First Post / New 1200T

This is a first post, so an introduction and a review of my first impressions of my new Sub 1200T Professional. My point of reference is a Rolex Submariner 16610 which I've had for ca 7 years from new. An unreasonable yardstick you may say but then my Vostok Amphibias wouldn't do the Doxa justice and my various 1960s Smiths watches would be an even worse benchmark.

From order over a weekend the watch was on my wrist by Thursday evening. On unwrapping the package the first thing I noticed was, despite the tube being well packed, some of the text was scratched off it, probably whilst in storage. Obviously I'd rather have a pristine tube but its not a major issue as it'll spend the rest of its days in a box with my other watch boxes.

Rolex watch boxes aren't great but generate a little more occasion than Doxa's tube. To be clear I don't really rate Rolex watch boxes which are made of a hard plastic with a ripple effect on the lid and have seen nicer, more impressive looking boxes housing 'lesser' watches.

On opening the tube I was initially struck by how insubstantial the watch looked and the smallness of the dial, I'd even venture to say I was a trifle disappointed. I'd ordered the watch knowing its dimensions including that of the dial, in fact I probably wouldn't have ordered it if it were bigger! Despite having 20 cm / 8" wrists I tend to wear dress watches from 33mm to the 40mm of my Rolex or 420 case Amphibias so the Doxa Sub is my biggest watch to date.

My next observation was the luminous markers appeared more yellow/brown than white. This was unexpected but I like it as it fits the watch's vintage character. Later on I came to appreciate the lume more which burns fiercely, particularly on the oversize minute hand, and outlasts that on my Rolex.

Working through the tube's contents I found the warranty card, an orange Doxa signed screwdriver - as opposed to the silver Bergeon one I'd seen in other's photos - and an orange Doxa strap. I hadn't realised the watch also came with a strap so this was a pleasant surprise although its unlikely ever to see the light of day on my wrist. As an aside I only found the booklet with CD about five days later when about to throw the delivery box out. Am I the only one to no longer have a computer with CD drive at home? I think simple printed instructions would be more user friendly and these could also be made to fit in the tube. After-all, who with a new watch to play with is going to fire up their computer to look at something on a CD! Downloadable PDF instructions would also be good for those that inhabit Apple's Flash disabled world and finally do decide to read the dos and don'ts of their new watch.

Anyway back to the watch, I stripped of the protective plastic and popped the Sub on my wrist. My next thought was they built the strap for giants as I'd need a link or possibly two removing (I settled on just one for now with it being summer). When I got by Rolex Sub I'd had to squeeze the open clasp over my wrist - I did buy it in Japan though and so wonder if it was already partially 'sized' for the market. Once on my wrist the Doxa started singing to me more, the classic case style and thick bezel looking just so.

Now I'm aware of positive and negative comments on the web about Doxa's Subs, for example poor paint coverage on the hands but had also read a statement from Doxa SA this had been resolved. With all of this in mind I must admit to pulling out my magnifying glass and looking at the dial and hands through it. What did I see? Lots of lovely black paint on the hands and a perfect dial (actually one tiny stray speck of lume north 12 o'clock but its more of a microdot). I don't think I've ever looked at my Rolex dial through a magnifying glass so can't make a meaningful comparison here except to say it has raised (white gold) markers which make the watch ever so slightly more elegant and less of a tool, two much unnecessary lettering with its "Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" and the quite common Rolex 'dimple' where the hands pass through the dial.

I also looked carefully at the bezel pip. This doesn't quiet line up with the dial, it's very slightly off but it is also very slightly irritating. I've read Doxa's comments about manufacturing tolerances for solid bezels as opposed to those with inserts so understand the issue. My Rolex Sub is also a (smaller) fraction off but has a little play allowing a slight clockwise turn to allow alignment of bezel and watch markers. In a way the Doxa bezel's strength, a lack of play in use, is also its weakness here.

My Doxa didn't need much encouragement to start ticking but I took it off to set the time and wind it up. The movement felt stiff as I wound it - not overwound - just tight compared to my Submariner. I've read someone else making the same comment when comparing a 1000T and 1200T despite both having the same movement. Adjusting the time felt good without the 'slop' or 'wiggle' found on my 16610.

The Doxa Sub case has a heft to it and feels substantial and looks well made as does the Rolex. The Rolex case is less deep but also has a deeply dished case back. I read in one of Dr Peter Millar's reviews the extra thickness of the Doxa was for cosmetic reasons and I for one would be happy for it to loose the unnecessary flab. To be fair it should be noted Rolex Subs are rated to 300m whereas the 1200T is good for 1,200m so the more substantial case might be justified.

The weakest part of the 1200T package is the bracelet as it is with the Rolex 16610 or rather in the latter's case the clasp. But for the clasp the Rolex bracelet looks great and exudes quality and the Doxa BOR bracelet just doesn't compare. Whether its due to being brushed in a different direction to the case the Doxa bracelet looks to have a different tone, almost bead blasted, and doesn't seem to match. To try and combat this I might have the beads polished at some point. The end links where the 'beads' connect also look a little rough on the Doxa as do the name and logo stamped on the clasp.

All in all the Doxa has won a place in my heart. Will it be a keeper? Probably yes, it is unique enough to have it's place although, and I now realise I've omitted to say what flavour I have, its difficult to match its orange dial for everyday wear. Perhaps I also need to get a more versatile Searambler .........
    ChiefWahoo likes this.

Re: First Post / New 1200T

Welcome to the forum, Number7 and to the family of Doxa owners! Yep, a Doxa is not a Rolex, but a great watch in its own right. I hope you will enjoy your 1200T as much as I enjoy mine. I bought mine as I wanted a Doxa and I wanted orange. I think my next watch will be a Doxa Sharkhunter as I like the black as well. Cheers, Bill P.

Thanks Bill. Its not a Rolex but acquits itself well. Time keeping is a little off at the moment; - 10 to -20 secs/day averaging -13 after nearly two weeks. Is this normal?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Number7, I think your Doxa will settle down. I'm not sure how far off mine is, but it is not that far off. Give it a little time and see if it gets better. Cheers, Bill P.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Number 7, a very honest and fair assessment...welcome to the forum.

When one is used to regular presentation watch boxes, the DOXA tube seems a little odd. The thing I like about it, is that it's functional beyond just being a secure method of getting a Sub to the customer. When I travel, I often travel with two watches. One is on the wrist, but the other goes in the tube, and is tossed in the carry on luggage. It's compact, secure, and I have everything I need like strap, and screwdriver if I want to change things up on the road.

Enjoy your Pro, and let us know if it settles in once you've worn it a few months.
    Steve Tracy and ChiefWahoo like this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Nice review, thanks. I'm looking to buy one soon.

Number7, has the accuracy improved?
    Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600
    Rolex GMT-Master 16750
    Stowa Marine Original
    Seiko 6309-7040
    Seiko 6105-8000

Nice review mate, I've got a sea dweller and a 1200.

I rate my 1200 over the seadweller in virtually every aspect.

For me the only weakness I have is when setting the time/ date on the 1200 I find it hard to keep in the correct position, it also feels flimsy like it could break off if I'm not careful.
    The other being if I fully wind the doxa then wear it for a few days then take it off it will only run for approx 13 to 15 hours. The Rolex seems to go for 27 or so. Admittedly I've never actually timed both so could be a few hours out for either, however the Rolex definitely lasts longer.

Everything else is all doxa, look, comfort, feel everything. I virtually don't wear my seadweller any more and it would be the 1 st to go if I ever required money in a tight situation. I basically keep it because it was a 40th birthday present.

How do you feel about comfort? To me the Rolex looks like it should be more comfortable but it isn't, and it pulls hairs more on my wrist. I'm all doxa, but mines a blue one!! CD Doxa.

United and Undaunted.

Rolex Seadweller.
    Doxa 1200T "United and Undaunted" #001

Quote Originally Posted by natedadude View Post
    Number7, has the accuracy improved?
    I'm still very much enjoying wearing my Sub but to answer your question; yes and no.

The watch has been worn every day for ca 6 - 7 weeks since I received it. I've monitored accuracy over the past month keeping a record in the morning and evening (sad but true) and a running average of the results in addition to the total difference. The watch was set 5 minutes fast and fully wound at the beginning and is now almost a minute slow showing -11.6 secs/day and averaging -13.2 secs/day on my wrist and -8 secs/day when left dial up over night. Initial 'on wrist' results jumped around a lot but there does seem to be some improvement from a poor starting point. Dial up performance is more stable as you'd expect.

Once my watch gets to 3 minutes slow I'll have to reset it. If I keep going with the checks I reckon I might see it average -11 to -12 per day on my wrist and -8 overnight so around -10 to -11 per day overall.

In the past I've not worried about the accuracy of my daily wearer becuase it was good enough and I'd correct with daylight saving time changes or on my return home after a time zone change. I know some will say I'm getting 99.9% accuracy but having to set a watch five minutes fast so as to be a minute slow at the end of the month is a little disappointing. Time will tell whether that means it gets less rotation time in future once the honeymoon is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Belldiver View Post
    Nice review mate, I've got a sea dweller and a 1200.

I rate my 1200 over the seadweller in virtually every aspect.

For me the only weakness I have is when setting the time/ date on the 1200 I find it hard to keep in the correct position, it also feels flimsy like it could break off if I'm not careful.
    The other being if I fully wind the doxa then wear it for a few days then take it off it will only run for approx 13 to 15 hours. The Rolex seems to go for 27 or so. Admittedly I've never actually timed both so could be a few hours out for either, however the Rolex definitely lasts longer.

Everything else is all doxa, look, comfort, feel everything. I virtually don't wear my seadweller any more and it would be the 1 st to go if I ever required money in a tight situation. I basically keep it because it was a 40th birthday present.

How do you feel about comfort? To me the Rolex looks like it should be more comfortable but it isn't, and it pulls hairs more on my wrist. I'm all doxa, but mines a blue one!! CD Doxa.

My crown feels nicely solid. Setting the time is easier than on my Rolex Sub whose hands tend to wander.

I can't comment on either watches' power reserve as my Doxa has been on my wrist every day since delivery. Similarly my Rolex had probably only ever not been worn long enough to keep it running on two or three occasions in the past six years (I don't own a winder).

It'll be interesting to see what happens when both Subs have to go head to head and compete for wrist time. I took the Submariner in to St James' Sq. for service in March but haven't yet managed to get back to the UK pick it up. It's been it's absence which caused a rash of watch buying (one a month since it went in) so I'd better pick it up soon before I end up with a Searambler and a GMT.

Its hard to say which is the most comfortable. I never found the Oyster bracelet to be a hair puller but at first my Submariner's crown would on occasion irritate my wrist. I think this would be less likely with the more recessed crown on the Doxa.
    Last edited by Number7; August 8th, 2013 at 00:03.

Thread Information