First steps to exploring the deep

Thread: First steps to exploring the deep

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off topic First steps to exploring the deep

Hi Guy's,

The re-emergence of the 'How many members dive' thread prompted me (along with constant nagging from my already certified best friend) to check out the local Dive club.
    Went along last night and had an introduction and try-dive.......

WOW!!!!!! what an experience - OK, so it was only in a pool but it was brilliant

The instructor had me doing mask clears and taking out my regs on the bottom of the pool (about 2 meters) after about 45 minutes. Was a bit nervous when he asked me to take my mask off completely and put it back on - but didn't panic (or drown...)

Definitely going back next week - think it could get addictive....

Didn't take any of my Doxa's, but still went Orange and took my Orsa.
    Chris

Doxa, Smiths, Precista, Longines,
    CWC. Casio Baby-G, Rolex

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you´re racing, it’s life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
    (Steve McQueen, 1971)

Re: First steps to exploring the deep

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your intro pool dives! Boy, are you in for an awesome experience. Just wait until you get to do your open water check out dives and especially your first few excursions after you are certified.

I see you live in Birmingham, UK. Please post some pics of your diving experiences if you can. I took a cheap under water camera with me when I did my O/W check outs and am glad I did.

JohnC

Last edited by JohnC; December 5th, 2007 at 01:18.

John - those shots look like the Channel Islands. That sunburst looks familiar...

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chris, Congratulations and stick with it. Diving is a money pit just like these dang watches, but it is great
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Good to hear that you are getting into it. As far as the cash goes, it really isn't an expensive hobby once you get your gear. Where it can get pricy is when you travel to different parts of the world to experience different mecca spots, i.e. Indonesia & Palau.

The only thing I've upgraded recently is a computer, other than that my 'old' gear does fine.
    If you've never crashed, you've never gone fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    John - those shots look like the Channel Islands. That sunburst looks familiar...

Cheers,

Avi
    Ya, it's the backsides of Anacapa on cert dives in 04 and Santa Cruz in Feb 07, down 57'. It's tough, but somebody has to live here!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Ya, it's the backsides of Anacapa on cert dives in 04 and Santa Cruz in Feb 07, down 57'. It's tough, but somebody has to live here!
    Glad to see someone else holding down the fort...you're right, it's tough out here, glad I have some company!

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Chis, you sound like a natural. Diving can be very addictive because you never know what you'll encounter every time you go down. It's awesome because it's always different.

If you decide to go ahead and certify and then buy your own gear, try out as many rigs as you can before you fork over the cash. Better to experience different systems on someone else's dollar.

Also buy the best equipment that you can afford. This way you will be less likely to fall into the trap of constantly wanting to upgrade your gear. I've been diving the same BC now about five years and will dive this rig until I die as an old man. My fins and 1st stage regs are 23 years old and they'll keep going for probably another 23 years.

Save your money and put it towards travel. Now that's something that you can sink a ton of cash into.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Also buy the best equipment that you can afford. This way you will be less likely to fall into the trap of constantly wanting to upgrade your gear. I've been diving the same BC now about five years and will dive this rig until I die as an old man. My fins and 1st stage regs are 23 years old and they'll keep going for probably another 23 years.

Save your money and put it towards travel. Now that's something that you can sink a ton of cash into.
    This is some of the best advice. Leave it to Ty

I have known people that buy "bargain" combos of Reg/BC/Computer that use it a couple times and end up buying more expensive stuff after a short time for whatever reason.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Thanks for the info guy's

Hoping it's gonna be interesting - I'll use the club's kit for a bit - although they're a bit short of BC's in my size.

And living in land locked Birmingham - about as far away from the ocean as you can get in the UK - we have some interesting inshore dive centres, mainly old quarries etc.

Guessing I'm gonna be pool and classroom bound for a while, but still really looking forward to the experience.

Subkrawler - Intending to do some travelling and dive some other parts of the world. The club has a trip to Malta next september - so hoping to be qualified before then.
    Last edited by Chris W; December 6th, 2007 at 14:59. Reason: spelling and added a bit more....
    Chris

Doxa, Smiths, Precista, Longines,
    CWC. Casio Baby-G, Rolex

"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you´re racing, it’s life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
    (Steve McQueen, 1971)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information