First time scuba diving...in Grand Cayman

Thread: First time scuba diving...in Grand Cayman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First time scuba diving...in Grand Cayman

With much thanks to everyone who gave us input when I asked here on the Doxa board, we're heading off on our Caribbean cruise in a week.

We had to decide if we were going to go snorkeling in Grand Cayman (which would have included Stingray City) or if we were going to go all out with the "resort style" scuba diving.

We chose the scuba diving. My wife and 12 year old daughter are both very comfortable with snorkeling and we have a snorkel tour planned in Cozumel. But the first time scuba dive in a maximum of 40 feet with close supervision is just too much of a temptation to pass up. Everyone says the diving is terrific in the Cayman Islands and this will most probably be the only time in our lives that we're there.

I've always wanted to get certified in scuba but the timing was never right. If our daughter really enjoys it, maybe she'll want to get certified with me at a later time.

I'm very psyched about getting an underwater photo of me with a regular in my mouth, a tank on my back, and my Doxa Sub300T Professional re-issue on my wrist!

Is it crazy that I'm planning the whole thing just to get that photo? Of course, we'll all enjoy the diving too.

Our stops are Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Isla Roatan. We have have excursions already planned for the first two stops, but we're going to wait until we are on the ship and can talk to the cruise director or others and get advise on what to do during the last two stops.

We're very excited. This is the second cruise for my wife and I (the first and only one was Royal Caribbean 14 years ago on our honeymoon) and it's the first for our daughter.

Here's what we'll be wearing, my wife's NOS Ernest Borel (Syncron owned) and my Doxa:

-Steve

Re: First time scuba diving...in Grand Cayman

Steve,
    I am SO EXCITED for you. And no.........It is not silly to want to go and get that 1 picture. I think it is great. I only hope that you don't like diving as much as I do. It will ruin your life. That is all that I can think about lately, and it can cost MUCH more than this watch fetish.

Please let us know how it goes, and please get that 300T reissue pressure tested before the trip (your wife's watch also).
    Best Regards,
    Jason

That's awesome! Cayman's a nice place to dive. I've been there a couple dozen times, most recently in April. And I'm going back in November. I guess I like it there :)

As for the diving, no matter what, do not hold your breath and ascend, even a little bit. At the shallow depths you'll be at it's actually not that hard to pop a lung if you hold your breath while ascending. Keep that in mind, because resport courses may not stress it enough, and there've been diver deaths in Cayman over the past year that are the result of what, to me, is a diver being put in a situaiton he's not trained for (i.e., depth, deco, etc.).

Oh, and have fun! I give it even money that you'll love it so much that within a year you'll be fully certified.

-Erik
    Last edited by EsquireStraps; July 9th, 2009 at 22:57. Reason: I haven't learned to spell yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Steve, that's great! BTW, every one of the places you are stopping offer world class diving, and all are on my "wish list" of places to dive!

Onto the basic physics, the important point missed by many (thinking because it is shallow, it is safer), is that these depths are where the greatest percentage of pressure change occurs. This is the reason it is doubly important to avoid holding your breath while ascending for example, as mentioned above, and to ascend in a slow, controlled manner. The shallow depth multiplies the effect of expanding air as it rises through the water column, and this knowledge is key to your health and safety, and is one thing that may be missed in the resort scenario.

We did discuss your situation in a previous thread, and though you know many of us are anti resort course, many of us also suggested we felt you and yours would be fine with it (you've all got a head start on being comfortable in the water, which is one very important part of the equation).

One thing you may wish to do to enhance your family's safety, as well as enjoyment of the dive experience, is to get some of the basic knowledge you'd get in a certification course through self study before embarking on the trip. While I don't have links, others here may well have (Subkrawler, can you suggest a basic SCUBA primer online?). This would be very helpful in avoiding the pitfalls that do on occasion get those going through the resort courses. Just basic knowledge, but it could be something that will at minimum, help you all get the most enjoyment out of the dives you get to make.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Steve have FUN!!!!! Diving is great and I really love it. While at Roatan last month we had a 12 year old get certified, and he really is a pretty good little diver. So their whole family dives now but the wife. She loves to snorkle and stays on top watching them!

We will need pictures upon your return!

John

You and your daughter should have a great time. Grand Cayman is beautiful. Did you pick a dive shop yet? I used Lobster Pot dive center and had Andrea from the USA as my dive guide. It was great.

Me in Caymans....

me and the brats off Islamorada...
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Good for you !

Steve, I just love to see the whole family diving like this.......How old are they?? I can't wait to get my kids diving.

Best Regards,
    Jason

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    One thing you may wish to do to enhance your family's safety, as well as enjoyment of the dive experience, is to get some of the basic knowledge you'd get in a certification course through self study before embarking on the trip. While I don't have links, others here may well have (Subkrawler, can you suggest a basic SCUBA primer online?). This would be very helpful in avoiding the pitfalls that do on occasion get those going through the resort courses. Just basic knowledge, but it could be something that will at minimum, help you all get the most enjoyment out of the dives you get to make.

Great suggestion T, and while I can't think of any links at the moment, I'd suggest Steve get a copy of a "Basic Open Water" diving manual. Exactly like what you'd be given on your first day of dive class.

EBay looks to be a great source, as I just had a look around over there. Right now there are a couple of NAUI books that can be had for under $25. A great resource for anyone who's considering going underwater.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

PADI also has an on-line course now ...

http://www.padi.com/scuba/padi-cours...s/default.aspx
    John M.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information