First Vintage Doxa (Aqualung Sharkhunter 300T)
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First Vintage Doxa (Aqualung Sharkhunter 300T)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

First Vintage Doxa (Aqualung Sharkhunter 300T)

So I just picked up this vintage Doxa off the internet. These are the sellers photos (not the best, I know that means I'm taking a bit of a risk here) - I'll update with my own upon arrival. Good or bad! It was tough to decide between this, and whatever 'heritage watch' Doxa has up their sleave. Ultimately I figured I want a true vintage before I go and buy another new Doxa... so here it is...

Name:  Doxa.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  40.8 KBName:  Doxa 2.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  18.5 KB

I'm curious about your thoughts. I've done a bit of research (big thanks to the flying doctor - what a resource on this forum, and on his own webpage! Need to buy your book...).

My guess is - as to date - late 60s early 70s as it's a Synchron era watch. But it's also a US Divers labeled watch. Very similar, I believe, to the sort worn by Cousteau and his crew in the early 70s (which is what I really wanted)

Condition, I'd say it's fair. The seller says it runs well, and has been maintained. We'll see - I don't think sellers like to lie, I do think they're prone to seeing their watches through rose colored glasses. I suspect the dial could stand some work (missing lume) at very least. If you see any issues, from these few photos, let me know. I'm toying with the idea of sending it in to IWW (based entirely on the positive reviews on this site). Thoughts? Would it be possible to get a watch like this back to a standard which could be used for light exposure to water - surface swimming, etc?)

Wish it came with a stock BOR bracelet, at the same time, for $900, I'm not terribly upset by that - the search continues, and that's half the fun! Plus, it looks like it comes on a decent strap for now. I do have a lead on one - but the seller is asking $600, and that seems a *bit* high to me - even considering their rarity.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; September 11th, 2013 at 18:19. Reason: Cousteau, not Couteau!
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Re: First Vintage Doxa (Aqualung Sharkhunter 300T)

Nice find, congratulations! I hope it lives up to your expectations and I'm interested in seeing your own pictures once the watch has arrived.

Not sure how you feel about rubber, but I'd consider a Tropic strap with that one. Well worn DOXAs have a distinctively rugged sort of quality. It's a fairly complicated design, but as the components/elements age in different ways you wind up with layers of wear which creates the proverbial "100 miles of bad road" appeal - think Tommy Lee Jones' federal marshal character in The Fugitive.
    Last edited by ljb187; September 11th, 2013 at 19:07.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fits all the criteria for a transitional 2nd Gen 300T. Synchron caseback. More pronounced numbering on the bezel and the dial with US Divers and Synchron logo. Looks good from the pics. I'd go get a Yobokies beads of rice bracelet. Bit of work with a needle file and you are good to go. I used one on one of my vintage SUBs. Health to enjoy your "new" 300T.

Last edited by Flyingdoctor; September 12th, 2013 at 04:50.
    DrNikolai and asdf1230 like this.

That's a nice vintage piece. I wonder why they scraped and also left some lume during its previous restoration. Most of the time the tritium needs reapplication anyway--I would have that done to finish the piece.

Original BOR's are impossible to find so maybe $600 isn't too bad if the clasp is in good shape. There are alternatives (Yokobees, etc) but those require alteration. You could also go with a vintage Omega shark mesh or an Isofrane to get it off the leather. But as leather straps on divers go this isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingdoctor View Post
    Fits all the criteria for a transitional 2nd Gen 300T. Synchron caseback. More pronounced numbering on the bezel and the dial with US Divers and Synchron logo. Looks good from the pics. I'd go get a Yobokies beads of rice bracelet. Bit of work with a needle file and you are good to go. I used one on one of my vintage SUBs. Health to enjoy your "new" 300T.
    Having looked through your website (more than a few times), I'm thinking that this is a model without a screw down crown. Is that correct? Out of curiosity, why did Doxa revert to a non-screwdown crown for this generation? Did it impact their reliability or longevity? Also - I'm guessing I'm pretty close with my age guess - 68 to early 70s... though I appreciate with this company that can be a hard thing to know!
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Quote Originally Posted by skin diver View Post
    That's a nice vintage piece. I wonder why they scraped and also left some lume during its previous restoration. Most of the time the tritium needs reapplication anyway--I would have that done to finish the piece.

Original BOR's are impossible to find so maybe $600 isn't too bad if the clasp is in good shape. There are alternatives (Yokobees, etc) but those require alteration. You could also go with a vintage Omega shark mesh or an Isofrane to get it off the leather. But as leather straps on divers go this isn't too bad.
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it ... I keep refreshing the USPS tracking website, to very, very little avail. It is on it's way though.

I think I will put a different strap on it. I like the rubber idea, above. Also thinking sail cloth. I'm pretty tempted by a BOR bracelet to be honest the Yokobees above looks pretty sweet. Though alterations and I don't get along too well. Shark mesh would be absolutely awesome... I'll have to look into it. Of course, there's no rule saying you can't have more than one strap.
    skin diver likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko

It would look awesome on a grey and black NATO or definately the shark meshes which are so freely available.
    I also think the Heublot colonial mesh style would suit it, but I just love that band so am a bit biased

Quote Originally Posted by Rips View Post
    It would look awesome on a grey and black NATO or definately the shark meshes which are so freely available.
    I also think the Heublot colonial mesh style would suit it, but I just love that band so am a bit biased
    I think the first order of business may be to switch the leather with a grey NATO. You're right - that'd be awesome. After that, we'll see. I think the Yokobees or shark mesh would be the next best alternative.

Though, there's a part of me that thinks - look. you're buying a bracelet. You're spending a hundred or two, one way or another. Why not just put on your big-boy pants and go all the way, and source an excellent condition vintage BOR bracelet. Add some value to the watch, and make it real. Vintage watches + vintage bracelets are rare... and likely getting rarer. This might be one of only a very few opportunities to reunite a watch without a bracelet, with a bracelet without a watch.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; September 12th, 2013 at 17:25.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I think the first order of business may be to switch the leather with a grey NATO. You're right - that'd be awesome. After that, we'll see. I think the Yokobees or shark mesh would be the next best alternative.

Though, there's a part of me that thinks - look. you're buying a bracelet. You're spending a hundred or two, one way or another. Why not just put on your big-boy pants and go all the way, and source an excellent condition vintage BOR bracelet. Add some value to the watch, and make it real. Vintage watches + vintage bracelets are rare... and likely getting rarer. This might be one of only a very few opportunities to reunite a watch without a bracelet, with a bracelet without a watch.
    Major congrats! It's a nice looking piece. It needs a little attention, but seriously, you did pretty darn well! Like you, I picked up my Syncron era Sharkhunter without a bracelet. What I did was customize the end pieces on an aftermarket Jubilee bracelet to mate it to while I looked for DOXA branded hardware. It took me a while, but a fellow forum member sold me his newer 600T bracelet. I know, it's not original equipment to the vintage head, but it fits my wrist like a like a glove! Looks great on the watch, too, and it cost me substantially less.

Vintage tropic rubber fits these nicely, as well.

Cheers! Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Omar Montaño

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information