French military MN Doxa Sub 300T divingstar with yellow dial
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: French military MN Doxa Sub 300T divingstar with yellow dial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

French military MN Doxa Sub 300T divingstar with yellow dial

Hello from France,

here a vintage Doxa Sub 300T divingstar that I bought from a retired french MN diver;

this watch has been issued by the Marine Nationale and I am looking for informations about it,

here what I have :

- The yellow dial does not have the Synchron logo but bears the mention 300T

- The crown is a screw in crown and has no signature on it

- The back does not have the big Synchron logo on the back but has the Synchron marking inside. Outside it bears different marking :

* on the bottom : "4321" and "58 098 59" (that I think are markings from Doxa)

* on the upper part of the back, the number "10267" in a bigger font than the other numbers and with a font which is very close to the font used by the french MN (especially when you see the curved "7") and what I think to be the issue number from the MN

- The movement is an ETA 2872 with 17 jewels and bears the Doxa signature + "W" on the rotor

What I would like to know is the approximate year of production of this watch; the MN marking "10267" (if it is a military marking) let me think that it could be the 102th watch for the year 1967, but does that fit to the case, movement and dial ??

Also, does this Doxa use a regular glass as I'd like to have it change by my watchmaker...?

The bezel is totally faded althought some remainings of the old markings can be seen with a strong binocular... can the bezel be replaced ? repainted ??

Here some pictures, hope you will be able to help me...

all the best from France,

Laurent

Formula1980 likes this.

Re: French military MN Doxa Sub 300T divingstar with yellow dial

Hello Laurent,

just some quick infos, more when I have some spare time at hand.

The Watch is a Doxa Aubry Sub 300T Divingstar with the 1st generation aluminium insert bezel with narrow triangle.
    The inserts where removable and could be changed during service. The numbers where printed on the insert so not easy to restore.
    I guess before you find an insert you will find a complete used bezel.

Case is thicker than the Synchron ones and have screw down crown caseback is correct for an early Aubry with Synchron marking.

Depending on the build time the crown is unsigned.

Movement and rotor is correct for this watch, built date is around mid 1980´s.

Your "military engraving" is not from Marine National but another Number from Aubry for identifying the different models some have the number some not and some have the a different number 10469 engraved.

The number 4321 is the case Version.

The glass is a special one nothing standard will fit.

For more info on the Aubry SUB´s look for the thread with the left handed SUB 750T´s.

Hope the info helps a bit

Regards Bernie

One thousands thanks for those information Bernie !

So ok, no MN marking but a Doxa coming from the MN as those two quartz Doxa related here : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f34/vin...ed-815223.html

I was hoping that the crystal was a regular one....

why is it a special ? No meaning of finding a new Doxa one ?

All the best,

Laurent

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wonderful looking Divingstar! She will look amazing after some attention and servicing . One thing that amazes me are the recent Aubry era DOXAs that have showed up on the forum from France. The next time I go, I will have to spend some time with my father-in-law and visit shops everywhere, not just in Paris. He mentioned that there is some good vintage watch shopping in Lyon!

On a side note, the crystals on the Aubry era DOXAs are not available from DOXA. I checked with them about replacing the crystal on my vintage 600T, and not just the crystals, but the bezel inserts are not available for the Aubry era models. I certainly hope that I am wrong. I would hope that there are parts for these lying around in a box in the factory somewhere!

One thing I did do was get the mineral glass replaced with a thick acrylic crystal. This might be considered unorthodox, but for a watch that will not go diving, it works very well...an affordable alternative. The crystal does not sit flush with the bezel, but it works nicely. It sort of gives the watch a different look. I think you can see what I am talking about in the photo I have attached.

Good luck with your restoration!

Oh..I would be very happy to give that Divingstar a wonderful home if you ever get tired of it !
    Omar Montaño

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Now it is with my watchmaker for a full service;

he told me that it would be better to change the crown but I really do not know how to find a new crown (?) for it...

He will also relume the hands;

I asked him to let the case as is, I do not want any polishing on it;

the movement looks in good order excepted that the previous owner put some oil in it and now it needs to be full cleaned to run again...

Will post pictures when it gets back...

BTW I had an highly reliable confirmation that the "10-88 YP" signature inside the back was done by Yves Pastre, who was the watchmaker for all MN watches from the Toulon arsenal in France...

cheers,

Laurent

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Nice find Laurent.

In the pics, the crystal doesn't look that bad. The scratches can be polished out w/ diamond paste, and I'd just live with the chip if I were you. For me, I'd rather have a crystal with a small flaw, than have a crystal that didn't look 100% original.

Good luck on the hunt for a bezel. If you stay diligent, maybe you can find a loner bezel from a watch with a trashed dial, or bad movement.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Hello Laurent.

Nice piece of history. I wouldn't change anything in the watch except a movement service and a gentle cleaning.

citius, ALTIUS, fortius

Fantastic early Divingstar! As far as the crystal, there are companies that will make one in either Mineral Glass or Sapphire if you can supply the exact measurements. I am not sure how you would come by that unless your Watchmaker can remove the current crystal. If you are able to locate another case to source the bezel from, you could use that to gather the specs. As the poster mentioned, using Diamond compound can also be used to clean up the current crystal. I would suggest removing the bezel first, and using a flat surface with the paste on it to work the crystal one. Do not use a high speed dremel unless you are very comfortable with that as it can cause "waves" in the crystal.

Small update : I just have the confirmation that my Doxa is from the Marine Nationale; it is registered in the log book from the Toulon arsenal,

[email protected]@D news !!

Attachment 1020560

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent (in France) View Post
    Small update : I just have the confirmation that my Doxa is from the Marine Nationale; it is registered in the log book from the Toulon arsenal,

[email protected]@D news !!

Attachment 1020560
    That is good news, Laurent. Can you show us on the log sheet, where the serial number corresponds to the number on your watch? Do you know how the watch was issued, either on a bracelet or a strap?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information