Gmt?

Thread: Gmt?

Gmt?

What does GMT stand for as it relates to watches? Greenwich Mean Time? If so, why? I know, silly question but I would like to know. Thanks.
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: Gmt?

Greenwich Mean Time?
    Correct. GMT watches will have a second time zone (most in 24 hour format) alowing one to set another time, presumably to be used for GMT (now UTC or Universal Time, Coordinated) which is the world time standard. Also known as Zulu time in aviation, all are the same, and based on the time zone where the Greenwich Meridian is located.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Still waiting on mine! The wait is killllling meeeee!!!!!
    "I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time" - Jack London - James Bond

Wish List:
    -More Seiko Divers
    -Omega Planet Ocean
    -Omega Speedmaster Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

GMT is used in celestial navigation. You can't determine your longitude unless you have an accurate chronometer set at GMT. 0(zero or Zulu) degrees longitude is the Prime Meridian which passes through Greenwich England hence GMT or Zulu. As long as you know the time on the Prime Meridian you can determine your longitude anywhere on the planet by using a sextant and navigation tables. Back before GPS this was the only means of navigation. The drawback was prolonged periods of bad weather when you couldn't see the sun or stars. this is why ships in the age of sail would frequently get off course and why shipwrecks are so hard to find. Celestial navigation is fast becoming a lost art.

Joe
    Doxa 600T Pro
    Doxa 1000T Pro
    Doxa 750T Searambler
    Doxa 750T Divingstar GMT
    Doxa 1000T Divingstar
    Breitling Steelfish
    Sinn U1

Very good Joe ... but before GPS many other ways of nav were available ... INS, Loran, Radio Navigation (NDB, VOR, VORTAC, etc) But you are correct for the most part ... what I listed is more for aircraft except for loran.
    John M.

DOXA Forum Administrator 1

Not meaning to "steal" the thread - but I would recommend the A&E film:
    Longitude. Two dvd set, and a great story of the quest to discover the true measure of longitude and how this centuries old riddle was solved by a clock maker!

James

DOXA

Quote Originally Posted by jmoors View Post
    Very good Joe ... but before GPS many other ways of nav were available ... INS, Loran, Radio Navigation (NDB, VOR, VORTAC, etc) But you are correct for the most part ... what I listed is more for aircraft except for loran.
    As a rule Loran was used for ships but we used it on some military C-130 Spec Ops aircraft up until 20 years ago.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Loran C was also commonplace on dive boats I dove from in the mid 1980's. And also was used in General/civil Aviation aircraft quite commonly.

I've always been partial to map and compass (hard to use in the open sea ). And dead reckoning? Pilotage is used often for VFR flight, with reference to the aviation sectional charts.

The art of celestial navigation with a sextant and charts is indeed becoming a lost art. Don't know beans about how to do it myself. Sounds like something I'd enjoy learning/knowing too....
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SMSgt Bo View Post
    As a rule Loran was used for ships but we used it on some military C-130 Spec Ops aircraft up until 20 years ago.
    I forgot about that Bo .... I started out in the USAF as AFCS, then of course added INST, and about all the other avionics ... then got into pc's and networks ...

John

Thread Information