...Gone Diving

Thread: ...Gone Diving

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off topic ...Gone Diving

Hi, over the past week and a bit i've been doing some diving (taking my doxa back to its native enviroment )

and just wondering has anyone on here done any diving in madeira??

Where is your favourite place to dive ever?

Greetings from Southern Calfornia

I have never had the priviledge of diving in madeira. Would love to see some pics.

So far my forvorite place to dive is the Channel Islands off the California coast. Catalina in particular is awesome! Thats looking up from 57' on the back side of Santa Cruz last Feb. Kelp forrest are a blast to swim through!

Catalina Dive Park Dec 05, at Jacques Cousteau's Memorial plaque. Excuse the free flowing regulator, I was still newbie diver.

Re: Greetings from Southern Calfornia

My favorite place (although I haven't been tons of different places) is Bonaire N.A. A couple shots from my diving trip in Aug '07

Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow what are the fish in first picture?

i've taken some pictures today of my diving, so hopefully i should be able to load them up today.

Quote Originally Posted by will_featherstone View Post
    Wow what are the fish in first picture?

Those are Caribbean Reef Squid. This was on our last dive right before we exited the water in about 15-20 ft. There was a school of about 30 squid. They measured about 1 foot in length. They were the darker color, but if you notice the two in the middle they are lighter. If you got too close to these little critters they would become this "blanched" lighter color. I agree with Subkrawler, Octopus are probably one of my favorite creatures of the sea, but these little squid are probably second.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Those are Caribbean Reef Squid. This was on our last dive right before we exited the water in about 15-20 ft. There was a school of about 30 squid. They measured about 1 foot in length. They were the darker color, but if you notice the two in the middle they are lighter. If you got too close to these little critters they would become this "blanched" lighter color. I agree with Subkrawler, Octopus are probably one of my favorite creatures of the sea, but these little squid are probably second.
    That's at night?? Wow, seems like a lot of light for a night dive.

I see a lot of geometric shapes in the third pic, so I assume it's a wreck? (Either that or the Deity was playing some very funny tricks with the sea floor! ).
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

The dive was during the day. I am not sure where you got the idea it was at night.

The last picture is the Hilma Hooker. It was a drug ship that sank right off the beach in the '80s
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: ...Gone Diving

The dive was during the day. I am not sure where you got the idea it was at night.
    Simple. I wrong it read!

"...our last dive right before we left the water...." somehow in my mind read "...our last night dive before we left....".
    Hmm... maybe I'm dyslexic? That would explain a lot of things..... . Hey. I gotta go, look at the time. It's three after ten!

BTW, Will, my favorite diving to date would probably be off Isle Royale in Lake Superior. Yeah, it's colder than the witch's britches, but it is some superb wreck diving (at least it was before the advent of the Zebra Mussel to the Great Lakes, I stopped diving right about that time). Also, I only have 4 logged ocean dives (out of a total of over 300) so, I obviously have some exploring left to do!

Jason, I recall the 'Hooker, I was very active in diving about that time. Wouldn't mind seeing it some day! The only ocean wreck I've been on was the Mercedes, off Ft. Lauderdale. First time was the year after they put 'er down, the next was around 5 years later.
    Last edited by T Bone; November 16th, 2007 at 21:20.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Simple. I wrong it read!

"...our last dive right before we left the water...." somehow in my mind read "...our last night dive before we left....".
    Hmm... maybe I'm dyslexic? That would explain a lot of things.....
    You can't understand how many times I have done that same exact thing. I try to read faster than my brain can process the information. I end up making a mess of things:oops::oops:
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Jason, I recall the 'Hooker, I was very active in diving about that time. Wouldn't mind seeing it some day! The only ocean wreck I've been on was the Mercedes, off Ft. Lauderdale. First time was the year after they put 'er down, the next was around 5 years later.
    On the list of things to see for me is the Oriskany, (aircraft carrier off Pensacola FLA.) or "the big O" as they call it.

My favorite wreck to date has been the Stavronikita. It is a 365 foot wreck in about 140ft right off the coast of Barbados. Several years ago, a diver could penetrate it quite a bit, but now it is unsafe to do so. Very cool wreck though.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information