Has Doxa announced their plans for the rest of 2019? ...
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Has Doxa announced their plans for the rest of 2019? ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sorry for all of the new questions. I've admired the brand from a distance for years and finally decided I need one. This year I plan to do it.

I know I want a 300 or 300T. I know they vintage ones were differentiated by tritium, but it's not entirely clear what the different is to me wrt to modern ones?

I'm wondering if I should by a new Sharkhunter from the site, or a different used Sub300 from the last year? Or wait to see what else they plan for the rest of the year?

Working on saving money now and convincing my wife I need one. :)

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

I kinda like all of the main dial colors: orange, black, yellow, silver.
    Des2471 likes this.

Re: Has Doxa announced their plans for the rest of 2019? ...

"Working on saving money now and convincing my wife I need one. :)
    Chris"

Let her know who is boss..... and then say, "pretty please, can I get a Doxa?"
    cmeisenzahl and Des2471 like this.

:)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage ones are great and some people would prefer them but consider this...

- They are tool watches and anything vintage is likely be pretty beat up
    - Vintage is unlikely to be reliably waterproof (if that matters to you) whereas any of the new ones are perfectly ok for diving/swimming
    - Current ones almost certainly have more accurate movements
    - luminova on the new ones will work and the tritium on the vintage ones is almost certainly exhausted

I wanted a dive watch to swim so I went with new. I also quite liked the black lung logo.

Re 300 vs 1200T (300T replacement).. I bought a 1200 initially then replaced with a 300 black lung. The 300 is a bit smaller and the case is not as tall which just works better for my wrist. I also like the domed crystal and the bl logo.

One more point is that 300s use a 2824 COSC Chronometer movt vs Elaborate grade in the 1200 so they are a little bit more precise.

1200 series case would work better for a larger wrist. It also has a hrv, one of Doxa’s claims to fame. And it’s more legible at the edges because of the flat crystal.

In terms of what’s coming out, we only know about preorders for the last batch of 100 50th anniversary 300 sharkhunters opening sometime in Jan.

All good choices, get what you like .
    Last edited by nitron135; January 4th, 2019 at 13:32.
    cmeisenzahl, Des2471 and Stev0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nitron135 View Post
    Re 300 vs 1200T (300T replacement).. I bought a 1200 initially then replaced with a 300 black lung. The 300 is a bit smaller and the case is not as tall which just works better for my wrist. I also like the domed crystal and the bl logo.

1200 series case would work better for a larger wrist. It also has a hrv, one of Doxa’s claims to fame. And it’s more legible at the edges because of the flat crystal.
    I originally thought so as well, when first looking into which Doxa to buy. Then more knowledgeable people here pointed out that Doxa specs on the website were actually incorrect, and while the 300 anniversaries use a different case, it is the same size as the 1200. So it fits the same. The 1200 is taller however due to the protruding casebook, which lifts it off the wrist. So a 300 could be more stable on some wrists.

The 300's dial is smaller in diameter, and the unique "box" crystal can causes some distortion on the edges at certain angles of view. In pictures this seems to sometimes magnify the markers and edge, while in others seems to make it harder to see the markers.

When I was considering the 300, I used the dial diameter from Doxa's website, and compared that using calipers to coins and other watches I had. I recall the 300 dial was the same size as a Seiko SKX013 I had, and a US dime. I did the same using the 1200's dial diameter. Based on that, I knew either would fit the same, but decided the 1200's dial was more to my liking. A safer bet for my first Doxa.

The 300 has the chronometer grade movement, which justifies the higher cost. It's a great looking watch, if the box crystal and smaller dial works for you. Very vintage. It's always tugged at me, and I would have bought one as a second Doxa. Doxa offered a % off on another purchase due to CS issues my first one. But when I inquired in applying that to a 300, they ignored my emails and calls.

Quote Originally Posted by nitron135 View Post
    All good choices, get what you like .
    As long as it's orange!!!
    Des2471 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
    "Working on saving money now and convincing my wife I need one. :)
    Chris"

Let her know who is boss..... and then say, "pretty please, can I get a Doxa?"
    You can try what has worked for me: Until Doxa, I always bought diver style watches with black dials and silver cases. While I always have 3 - 4 divers in the stable, and flip at least 1 every year, my wife thinks I've had the same watch for the last 15 years or so.

She doesn't pay attention to watches, but I knew she have to notice an orange Doxa. I've had my 1200 for almost 1 year, and she hasn't said a word. Guess she figures that after 15 years with the same watch, it's OK to have a second one.

Your mileage may vary...
    Des2471 and Paul Ramon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    I originally thought so as well, when first looking into which Doxa to buy. Then more knowledgeable people here pointed out that Doxa specs on the website were actually incorrect, and while the 300 anniversaries use a different case, it is the same size as the 1200. So it fits the same. The 1200 is taller however due to the protruding casebook, which lifts it off the wrist. So a 300 could be more stable on some wrists.

The 300's dial is smaller in diameter, and the unique "box" crystal can causes some distortion on the edges at certain angles of view. In pictures this seems to sometimes magnify the markers and edge, while in others seems to make it harder to see the markers.

When I was considering the 300, I used the dial diameter from Doxa's website, and compared that using calipers to coins and other watches I had. I recall the 300 dial was the same size as a Seiko SKX013 I had, and a US dime. I did the same using the 1200's dial diameter. Based on that, I knew either would fit the same, but decided the 1200's dial was more to my liking. A safer bet for my first Doxa.

The 300 has the chronometer grade movement, which justifies the higher cost. It's a great looking watch, if the box crystal and smaller dial works for you. Very vintage. It's always tugged at me, and I would have bought one as a second Doxa. Doxa offered a % off on another purchase due to CS issues my first one. But when I inquired in applying that to a 300, they ignored my emails and calls.

As long as it's orange!!!
    It’s not just the case back on the 1200 that’s thicker - the case sides are thicker (they need to be to fit the HEV) also the rotating bezel is taller. The overall weight difference is significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
    It’s not just the case back on the 1200 that’s thicker - the case sides are thicker (they need to be to fit the HEV) also the rotating bezel is taller. The overall weight difference is significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I agree with Stev0 - the SUB 300 50th watch head is approx 75g, while the SUB 1200T watch head is approx 95g (incidentally, the same mass as the watch head of a Seiko turtle of the SRP77X series).

Cheers!
    nitron135 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl View Post
    Sorry for all of the new questions. I've admired the brand from a distance for years and finally decided I need one. This year I plan to do it.

I know I want a 300 or 300T. I know they vintage ones were differentiated by tritium, but it's not entirely clear what the different is to me wrt to modern ones?

I'm wondering if I should by a new Sharkhunter from the site, or a different used Sub300 from the last year? Or wait to see what else they plan for the rest of the year?

Working on saving money now and convincing my wife I need one. :)

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

I kinda like all of the main dial colors: orange, black, yellow, silver.
    Just to throw more options into the mix - I think it's highly likely that 2019 will see the release of 50 years anniversary reissues of the SUB 200 T.graph chronographs - hopefully in Pro, Sharkie and Rambler forms! And hopefully with original non-screw down chrono pushers...

Cheers!
    nitron135 and cmeisenzahl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Des2471 View Post
    Just to throw more options into the mix - I think it's highly likely that 2019 will see the release of 50 years anniversary reissues of the SUB 200 T.graph chronographs - hopefully in Pro, Sharkie and Rambler forms! And hopefully with original non-screw down chrono pushers...

Cheers!
    A faithful 200 T-Graph remake would be worth waiting for.

Hopefully not using the modern 300 T-Graph as the base.
    Des2471 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information