Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Member OneEyeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    653

    Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Hello all, first post here.
    Recently been looking long and hard at Doxa's.
    The more I look, the more I like their robustness and quirky mix of old and modern styling.
    I have my heart set on the 1200T, for 2 reasons:
    - it looks killer
    - it's the thinnest and smallest dia watch in the current line up; should fit my 7" wrist best and fit under most shirt sleeves.
    Like everyone who hasn't bought a Doxa yet, the question is, which dial color.
    Fortunately, I've whittled it down to Orange (Pro) and Silver (Searambler)
    I know all the arguments, pros and cons for each color.
    But in the end, I really need to see them to make a final decision.
    So, I have a favor to ask.
    I live in NW New Jersey.
    Does anybody have either or both color dials to show me and also live anywhere close to me?
    I guess they don't even have to be 1200T's, but that would be a bonus.
    I'd be willing to drive anywhere in Northern NJ to take a quick peak.
    Oh, and just to keep it interesting, tell me why you chose one color over the others.
    Keep in mind, I'm a one watch guy and the option of "buy both" doesn't apply.
    Thanks all, and hope to learn a lot here.
    Lenny
    Last edited by OneEyeMan; January 30th, 2014 at 14:17.

  2. #2
    Sinn Moderator gaopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NE Georgia
    Posts
    9,662

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Welcome to the forum, Lenny! I was in the same situation you are in a few years ago. I had been looking at the Doxa watches here on the forum, but had never seen one "in the wild". I have a 7 1/2" wrist and finally decided to go ahead and take the plunge. The orange Professional 1200T was the one I settled on. Now that I have owned and enjoyed my Doxa 1200T Professional for a few years I can say it was a good decision. My Doxa is a keeper in my collection.

    In your case, settle on the dial color and take the plunge! You won't regret it! Cheers, Bill P.

    MHe225 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member OneEyeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    653

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Bill,
    That's an awesome pic, thanks for posting it.
    But I've seen equally awesome pix of the searambler color too.
    Keep em coming folks.
    And let me know if you live in the area.
    Lenny

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Welcome aboard Lenny, and your dilemma is one we've all faced, no matter if it was our first DOXA, or our 10th.

    You said you're a "one watch guy". Does that mean you only want one watch from a particular brand, but might own other brands, or you only want one watch for daily wear? If you only want one DOXA, but own others, go with the iconic orange. If this will be your only, daily wearing watch, go with the Searambler. The 'Rambler is slightly more versatile, and dresses up more easily than the Professional.
    19Dec2013 likes this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  6. #5
    Member OneEyeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    653

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Well, I have my grandfather's Omega Seamaster DeVille which is strictly a special occasion watch.
    Also have an old Swatch that was a gift from my wife when we got married, but I never wear it.
    The Doxa would basically replace my Seiko Samurai, which I would sell.
    So, for all intents and purposes, it would be my ONLY watch.
    I really think if I could see them both in person, my mind would be made up immediately.
    Pix never do a watch, or a car, justice.
    Lenny

  7. #6
    Member Snowback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,563

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    I went with the orange because it makes a statement that few watches can equal (I had a 600T & now have a 750T). Most folks couldn't recognize a Casio from a Rolex (and most folks think that any Rolex they see is a fake). The orange is a show stopper & always draws a comment from people. I have had folks stop me in airports & restaurants to see my Doxa & always have a favorable comment. Just one man's opinion but any Doxa is a cut above the rest.

  8. #7
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    Well, I have my grandfather's Omega Seamaster DeVille which is strictly a special occasion watch.
    Also have an old Swatch that was a gift from my wife when we got married, but I never wear it.
    The Doxa would basically replace my Seiko Samurai, which I would sell.
    So, for all intents and purposes, it would be my ONLY watch.
    I really think if I could see them both in person, my mind would be made up immediately.
    Pix never do a watch, or a car, justice.
    Lenny
    No doubt, especially when it comes to the Searambler. The 'Rambler dial, the way the sunburst brush marks capture and reflect the light...there's a depth, and luminosity that can't be captured in pictures. Either way, whether orange or silver, both are classics dating back to 1967, so you can't go wrong either way. Have fun with the quest, and hopefully someone will come along shortly who's in your area. Are you wanting to buy brand new, or pre-owned?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  9. #8
    Member OneEyeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    653

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Snowback,
    I wouldn't buy anything just because I thought it made a statement to other people.
    The main thing is that I like it.
    But I do like the Orange, and the Silver.

    Subkrawler,
    Exactly. Any pic wouldn't do justice to a dial that is "textured" (not sure that's the right word). That's why I need to see the Searambler in person.
    Doxa's web site says that warranties aren't transferable to a second owner.
    For that reason alone, I'd probably buy new.
    Unless I'm missing something.
    Lenny

  10. #9
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyeMan View Post
    Snowback,
    I wouldn't buy anything just because I thought it made a statement to other people.
    The main thing is that I like it.
    But I do like the Orange, and the Silver.

    Subkrawler,
    Exactly. Any pic wouldn't do justice to a dial that is "textured" (not sure that's the right word). That's why I need to see the Searambler in person.
    Doxa's web site says that warranties aren't transferable to a second owner.
    For that reason alone, I'd probably buy new.
    Unless I'm missing something.
    Lenny
    I'm the "buy it new" type myself, unless it's something vintage, or discontinued that I'm after. I'm not a flipper, so I don't mind paying a bit more up front. I like all the wear and tear to be mine, having the advantage of the warranty, and all the other plusses that go along with a brand new watch. If nobody from NJ can help, have you thought about ordering both, then returning the one that doesn't speak as loudly to you?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  11. #10
    Member Flyingdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,623

    Re: Hello, First Post; I Need a Doxa

    Holy mackerel Bill, that is one awesome pic.....woooooooo... like it.


    Quote Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Lenny! I was in the same situation you are in a few years ago. I had been looking at the Doxa watches here on the forum, but had never seen one "in the wild". I have a 7 1/2" wrist and finally decided to go ahead and take the plunge. The orange Professional 1200T was the one I settled on. Now that I have owned and enjoyed my Doxa 1200T Professional for a few years I can say it was a good decision. My Doxa is a keeper in my collection.

    In your case, settle on the dial color and take the plunge! You won't regret it! Cheers, Bill P.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •