I'll ask again but supply my answers!

Thread: I'll ask again but supply my answers!

I'll ask again but supply my answers!

I had asked a bit ago on why two features were as they were on the new 5000T. First was the O ring on the stem. Some other watch companies I believe do this so if the crown is out but not all the way, some WR ability is kept. Is that the case here? Second the use of tritrium. I know some don't like it, say it is ugly, but with those stainless markers anice neat vial would have gone well. Then lume whenver you want it. Please accept these as a Doxa owner would like to know.

Thanks

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Re: I'll ask again but supply my answers!

The o-ring on the crown tube is to help with added water resistance. I think The reason tritium is no longer used is because of some Goverment regulation about the importation of it and how it needs to be contained in something. I think it has to be enclosed in some type of capsule such as the ones the traser watches use and the ones used for some gun night sights. It can't just be put on a watch dial like it had been in the past.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
    I think it has to be enclosed in some type of capsule such as the ones the traser watches use and the ones used for some gun night sights. It can't just be put on a watch dial like it had been in the past.
    I think that's what he's wondering about about. Why didn't DOXA put a tritium vial between the raised, ss markers.....

I'm not sure how aesthetically pleasing it would be, but they definitely have a perfect cradle for a vial between the markers.

Reply by DOXA
    Hi, tritium vials are a very good source of luminousity and we are working on a future model with this feature but we know that it is almost impossible to import in many countries in the world and a high percentage of the population still believes that it is unsafe to use and that it might cause cancer. I personally think that using a cell phone is more unsafe than 12 tritium vials on a watch dial.

Rick
    Last edited by DOXA S.A.; November 9th, 2007 at 23:03.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Increased O-ring protection is more than welcome in my book!

Trit vials are unbeatable in hours-long low light situations. Recently got to play briefly with one of Ball's new II-model Hydrocarbon divers with significantly enlarged H3 tubes. It was just amazing at 4am. However, it never, under any circumstances was as bright or intense as a traditional C3 or Lumibrite watch. A 5sec blast with your xenon dive lamp will result in a much more legible watch (albeit for only 30-40min before you "blast" it again) than tritium tubes can provide.

Pros & cons both ways, but I prefer traditional "painted on" lume.

JM2CW, YMMV!

Last edited by Danny S; November 8th, 2007 at 18:28. Reason: ...can't spell !

The o ring is just another added safety for water resistance, some companies do use them, the most famous ones are on the Rolex SD and SM. As far as tritium goes, I see a trend that most companies that have not used them on their watches won't. There is a long debate over the use of the two, but I don't see DOXA going that route. Many well know companies like DOXA have not incorporated tritium into their line at this point and are still considered top notch and classics. I believe the 5000T will not let us as far as lume goes.
    If you've never crashed, you've never gone fast enough.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know that tritrium gets the pros and cons loose and they can tear up the airwaves. It just seems so 21st century to me. Anyway, as to anything that helps WR? I agree. I don't believe there is too much.

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Thread Information