WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

I'm Baaaaaccccckkkkkkkk

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  THOR 
#1 ·
Well it has been 10 days of nothing but travel.

3 days in Houston, 1 day in New Jersey, 2 days in Ireland, 1 day in England, 1 day in Wales then 2 more days in Ireland and back to Chicago.......

Saw all my family and kids and a few friends along the way. It was kind of a Santa Clause run, taking the books on my dad to the family and presents for Katie's 21st and her and Kieran for Christmas.

The UK was wet and gray and expensive but it was all Merry Christmas and none of this Happy Holidays sh1t. I'm starting a don't wish me feckin Happy Holidays movement but it's too early to rant just yet :)

Katie was delighted with the Tudor especially as it was 21 years old. I hung out with her and actually sat in on one of her lectures. Neurology and anatomy and I'm sitting smiling to myself thinking about how I used to know something about all that lot, ha, ha, ha.

Kieran is sharing a house with 3 other university lads in Reading. Jeezus it looked like someone opened the door and just threw in a hand grenade. The back garden had more buckets of empty beer bottles than most pubs I know.

Took the 750T with me for the trip. It really is one of the most comfortable Doxas ever and sure gets noticed. Our Mick was wearing his T-Graph but he went on holiday to Dubai so I only saw him for a day. He took me and our Marty to the War of the World's stage show in Belfast. Holy moly what a cracking show. Based on Jeff Wayne's CDs from 20 odd years ago. Absolutely fantastic. I'd advise anyone in the UK to go see it.

Nice to be back in cold, snowy Chicago.

Pete

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome back Dr. Pete:-!:-! In your absence I got a 750T Sharkie(my first Doxa), T shirt, cap, and your wonderful wonderful book|>|>

Kind regards
Bob:thanks

#7 ·
...The UK was wet and gray and expensive but it was all Merry Christmas and none of this Happy Holidays sh1t. I'm starting a don't wish me feckin Happy Holidays movement but it's too early to rant just yet :)...Pete
Never too early to rail against political correctness. I'm off back to Blighty myself for Christmas. I'll miss my American home, my wife who is staying here, and the Pats destroying the Dolphins...but I sure as hell won't miss the banality of "Happy Holidays."<|

The War of the Worlds show look great. Probably a lot better than that awful Tom Cruise movie. And, er, glad you took the Doxa (just to keep things watch related...).

#8 ·
Martin, safe travels back to Englandshire. Yep War of the Worlds was far better than the Cruise movie. It was incredibly well done and I was really pleased that our Mick stumped up for the tickets as a wee surprise for me when I came home. Justin Hayward from the original album was in the cast. Obviously Phil Lynott wasn't able to be there - well maybe he was ;-) and the guys who took his and David Essex's place were fantastic. The computer generated holographic image of Richard Burton (see top photo) was amazing. All in all a tremendous evening's entertainment.

As for the political correctness. Jeezus the world is going mad. In the UK there was talk of banning the nativity play..that got short shrift, but the real kicker was some fu$kwit wants overworked and underpaid nurses to turn patients beds to mecca 5 times a day. That brought about a bit of a backlash to say the least. Thankfully most Brits and Paddies are showing the politically correct brigade the derision they deserve. Happy Holidays my bollocks, It's Christmas. Jingle Bells, Santa smells and all that good stuff :-!

Pete

#9 ·
Too funny, Doc...I mean, give me a break. I don't expect people to look at me and say "Happy Hanukkah, have a safe time spinning the dreidel." (and if I did, I'd be buying into the stereotype of my people anyway, right? ;-)

I take no offense when people say Merry Christmas to me. As far as I'm concerned, it's part of the holiday spirit and I know it's meant well. What harm is there in that? Let's face it - America is predominantly Christian, so to expect otherwise is in my opinion foolish.

And for everyone who takes this stuff too seriously - I've always thought that there are two types of racism. One is when you don't take a minority, religious or ethnic group seriously enough. The other kind is when you take it TOO seriously. That leads to way too many conflicts and heartaches.

However, in the spirit of egalitarianism, I hereby declare today and all days from this point forward, Doxa Day. So Happy Doxa Day to all of you. And may the good Doxa elves stuff your stockings, pillow cases, or anywhere else you put (or hide) your latest purchas. :)

Cheers,

Avi

#11 ·
War of the Worlds - that's a stage show now??? I have that album! (1978) Narrated by Richard Burton. I originally bought it for Justin Hayward's (of Moody Blues fame) "Forever Autumn", but I'm a little surprised that anyone else has ever heard of it - let alone that it's a "production"!! :think:

It sounds like you had a great trip.
Merry Christmas! |>

#13 ·
War of the Worlds - that's a stage show now??? I have that album! (1978) Narrated by Richard Burton. I originally bought it for Justin Hayward's (of Moody Blues fame) "Forever Autumn", but I'm a little surprised that anyone else has ever heard of it - let alone that it's a "production"!! :think:

It sounds like you had a great trip.
Merry Christmas! |>
Thor, there is a DVD of the show from when it was touring last year. I saw it a few months ago and mentioned it to our Mick. My timing back home was perfect. It was in Belfast for one night as the first leg of the new tour. Track down the DVD. You can find it ...... cough, cough ..... on a number of dodgy file sharing sites :roll:

Pete

#14 ·
Welcome back Pete.
Sorry you arrived in Wales when you did, wettest its been for years.
Glad you enjoyed War of the Worlds. I saw the show in Cardiff, brilliant.
Regarding your suprise at the pc attitude in the UK. I'm afraid the loonies have taken over. No nativity, decorations or cards between pupils in schools in case it offends other faiths. A pub (bastion of British life) forced to remove its sign showing a pig as it may offend Moslems. No Christmas decorations in streets in case they fall and hurt people. I am not joking and I could go on with many more examples. I'm no bigoted racist but whose feking country is it, when in Rome and all that. Yes most Mick's Jock's, Ianto's and Englanders (irrespective of colour and creed) say it's bo**ocks but not alas our politicians whom the law backs to the hilt.
HELP snowy Chicago looks much better than this sceptred isle.

Best regards
Andy

#15 ·
Same crap on the other side of the pond. Oh sure, there are some pockets of sanity, but in the larger cities you'll hear the same silly notions.

The politicians are so concerned about offending the 1% of the population (that is looking around trying to be offended) that we're completely abandoning our culture. I don't think that 1% is going to get them re-elected, and I know the 99% isn't!

There was a story last week that Santa Claus is portrayed as being too fat, and he should be setting a better example for kids - o|
Where will it end?

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.