I'm torn!

Thread: I'm torn!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm torn!

Hey all. I'm officially at an impasse. I have gathered the funds, and am itching to pull the trigger on my first DOXA, but for the life of me can't decide which one to get. First, I currently rotate between my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (Big Size), and my Breitling Super Avenger (Titanium). I like the size of both watches on my wrist. When looking at the DOXA lineup, I am torn between the 800Ti, the 1000/1200 (don't really see a difference there) and the 5000.

What I like about the 800Ti is the bracelet and the tritium tubes. The 1000/1200 seem to have a brighter orange than the others which is drawing me to them, but their smaller size has me concerned. Also, though the rice bead bracelet is the original and is a classic, I like the screw down bracelet of the 800/5000 more. I'm sure both are comfortable to wear. I like the size of the 5000 and its bracelet (as previously mentioned) but it's hard to see if the orange is the same as the 1000 or closer to the 800.

So, there's my plight. I am more than ready to have one of these beauties strapped to my wrist, I just need help picking the right one :)

Thanks guys!

Rob

Re: I'm torn!

You'd have to go for the 800T or 5000T if you are going to rotate your watches, as the change in size from the 45.5mm PO will be easier to live with.

If you are going to wear the Doxa most of the time.... the 1200T has anice heft also. The smaller size will get easier to live with after a week or so.

You are really stuck...just like me. I will not wear a Doxa diver unless it has the beads of rice bracelet so the 800Ti and 5000T is out. I do not like the small size of the 1000/1200T. People will tell you that the size is negligible but it really isn't (at least not to me) so that strikes out the 1000/1200T for me. My only remaining options are the T-Graph which is too expensive for me and a 750 GMT, which is too busy for me. What does that leave? Used 750T!
    Last edited by romeo-1; April 14th, 2010 at 01:46.
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You are used to some big watches. Whats your wrist size btw?
    I'm not sure about the difference on the dial's colors but for the price (between 800ti/5000t) the 5000t would probably be a better buy in my book.
    I do like the 800ti a lot. More than the 5000t. I just don't like the price tag, that's the reason why I don't have one but If I would pay retail price for 800ti I would like to make sure that Doxa could replace the tritium tubes when they go bad.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Seiko 007 but if you are, the 1000t/1200t are pretty much the same dimensions.

Edit: Like romeo said a used 750t would be a good option but just so you know the orange one is really hard to find. If you spot one make sure you grab it (if you want one eventually)
    Last edited by jay.scratch; April 14th, 2010 at 01:42.
    *Seiko skx-007; *Seiko BM; *Orient CFT00004B; *Doxa sub 1200t DWL; *Zodiac ZO7008; *G-Shock DW-5600MS

Thanks for the input! What's the story with the used 750t? I'm not familiar with it. Also, my wrist size is 8.5in, once of the reasons I prefer larger watches. Plus, I am a diver and a pilot so quick and easy to read are both fairly important. I hear you when you say to make sure DOXA can replace the trit-tubes once they fade, but honestly, I don't know how big a deal that will be. I've got two luminox watches from long ago (10+ years) that both still glow just as brightly as the day I got them. The lume on my Omega is very bright when charged, but does fade over time (as they all do). One of the reasons I put the 800ti in the running. And, while I do like the beads of rice look, the screw version on the 800/5000 just seems much more secure than pins. That being said, I've only had a band fail once with the pins. Oh, decisions..decisions!

In that case I would go with a 800ti. I think is one of the best looking subs on Doxa's line up. After the 1200t ofcourse

If I'm not wrong Mr.Boots has a 800ti pro. Maybe he will chime in and let you know about the dial color. He has a bunch of doxas so he's probably the best user to give you the answer.
    *Seiko skx-007; *Seiko BM; *Orient CFT00004B; *Doxa sub 1200t DWL; *Zodiac ZO7008; *G-Shock DW-5600MS

Of your list-owned all cepn the 1200t. The 5000t IMO is a step up in fit and finish for Doxa. Excellent piece. I was a little underwhelmed with the 800Ti personally but to be fair not a Ti guy and the no lume/tube on second hand bugged me. 5000t is excellent in every way but it does have some similarities to your PO in the polished handset/indices. Its a lot thicker than the PO. Lume is about equivalent. Great movement etc. Just a great piece.

750t was retired last year. It also is a good size for you. Read up on it here or on the net. Tons of info and pics on it.

Good luck

I like the look of the 5000, but I just noticed that the placement of "DOXA" an "Sub 5000t Professional" are at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions rather than the split layout of the rest of the line (nw/se corners). Shame because I like that layout better. Perhaps I need to find a 750t out there :(

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Rob View Post
    I like the look of the 5000, but I just noticed that the placement of "DOXA" an "Sub 5000t Professional" are at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions rather than the split layout of the rest of the line (nw/se corners). Shame because I like that layout better. Perhaps I need to find a 750t out there :(

Rob,

I'm partial to the 750 Pro myself. As a fellow diver and pilot-in-training (Hey, T-Bone, you reading this? ) I can vouch for the legibility and ease to read in both situations, as well as comfort. My wrist size is 7.75 inches, and I'm sure if you were to go for a 750 that you'd find it very comfortable and a good size.

I've also owned a 5000T and dove with it. As far as size it's definitely a hefty watch, but honestly I feel the 750 is easier to read at depth as the 5000T has the stainless steel hour / second markers.

I've never had a concern diving the 750 on the bracelet - the pins have never failed, and I'm not sure if anyone here has any experiences to share. I used to switch to a Waterborne strap occasionally, but I haven't done so in a long time.

I'm including a large pic I took of the 5000T and 750T side by side. Sorry for the quality, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what the 750 looks like.

Cheers,

Avi

Last edited by Frogman; April 14th, 2010 at 04:09.

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

I rotate my watches. I am currently wearing my SUB 1000T Mil Pro and it is by no means a small watch. I also wear a massive Invicta Russian Diver, a vintage Seiko 6105-8110, a no date Rolex Sub. I also have a SUB 1200T Pro that I wear in my line up. As far as small watches go I also wear a ZENO BUSHIPS that is tiny.

Maybe I'm just weird, but the size of the watch don't matter to me and I like them all.
    I do have one watch that is downright painful to wear; my ZENO EURO Diver.
    I don't have grandkids yet....so let me tell you about my watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information