Incoming 5000T Caribbean

Thread: Incoming 5000T Caribbean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Incoming 5000T Caribbean

I'm new to the Doxa forum (this is my first post here but I am active at the OCEAN7 site), and because of all the praise for this brand, and an excellent writeup in the August issue of WatchTime Magazine, I just ordered a 5000T Caribbean (just love the white hands on the blue dial). Couldn't pass it up at the sale price!

I'm a sucker for big dive watches but I've only got a 7.25" wrist. Some of the other members that have this watch have 8+" wrists so I'm wondering if I will be able to lift my arm

I'm no diver and I was wondering how many others just get these watches for the 'cool factor', like me.

I have a few questions for the group...

1) When the watch comes, what size wrist does it fit out of the box? And how easy is it to add/remove links from the bracelet? Doxa's website says to have a professional do it.

2) I'd also like to be able to swap the bracelet with a rubber strap cos I think the rubber strap looks more rugged when I'm out hiking, and then change it back to the bracelet when I'm out on the town. I did see the thread on the Hirsch Extreme rubber strap. Again, I emailed Doxa and they said that the watch is meant to be on a bracelet and too many people ruin the screws when doing this. Is it just the first time because the screws are tight? Do you need a special tools?

3) The WatchTime 5000T review states:

"On average it loses about one second per day; in the dial positions the movement runs faster (at about +2.0 seconds per day) then in the crown positions, in which it varies between -2.0 and -3.0 seconds each day; al in all, good results."

What exactly does this mean? What are 'dial' and 'crown' positions?

4) Does the 'T' in '5000T' mean anything?

And one last generic question: Does SuperLuminova have a 'life expectancy'? IOW, is it ever necessary to re-lume a watch like you have to do with tritium watches when they half life into dimmer and dimmer glowing in 10 to 15 years?

Dan
    Daniel

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: Incoming 5000T Caribbean

Hi Dan, Welcome to the Forum.

You've made a great choice with the 5000T, it's a beautiful watch! I need to point one thing out (hope you're not disappointed :oops:), the hands are not white. While they appear that way in many pictures, they are actually mirror polished stainless steel (as are the applied dial indices, with the lume material in the center appearing white in daylight). In some lights they will take on a whitish appearance, in others they will look black. It's a very classy look over all, gives the watch a bit more panache than the painted hand variants IMHO. I think you'll be pleased.

What makes the bracelet different for sizing IIRC is the need to use two opposing screwdrivers simultaneously to remove links. This can be very awkward, especially without a "Third Hand" tool (did it myself on a Marathon SAR bracelet). If having a pro do this, make sure they have this or a similar tool (see link).

If the screws are difficult to break free BTW, stop, don't fight them. Mild heat is the answer, and a handheld hairdryer or hot tap water should work just fine.

BTW, recalling a poll on wrist size on our Public Forum, nearly two hundred responses indicate 7.25 inch (same as mine, and I typically need to remove 2-3 links on most bracelets) is about average. 7" was #1 with 32 votes, 6.75" got 30 votes and 7.25" totaled 23.

I'll leave the other questions for others. Enjoy your new watch (post pictures! ), and enjoy the Forum!
    Last edited by T Bone; August 30th, 2009 at 18:52. Reason: Link fix
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Sponsor

If care is taken there is no problem switching from bracelet to strap and back again, here's a tempter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WatchObsession View Post
    If care is taken there is no problem switching from bracelet to strap and back again, here's a tempter

That is one bad ass looking watch!!

Hi Dan, I'll answer question 1. The size out of the box will fit a 9inch wrist perfectly, Thats what I am.

Great choice of watch BTW, I have the 5000T Pro and have had it for nearly a year and it's hardly been off my wrist. You will love it

Regards, Derek

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Hi Dan, Welcome to the Forum.

You've made a great choice with the 5000T, it's a beautiful watch! I need to point one thing out (hope you're not disappointed :oops:), the hands are not white. While they appear that way in many pictures, they are actually mirror polished stainless steel (as are the applied dial indices, with the lume material in the center appearing white in daylight). In some lights they will take on a whitish appearance, in others they will look black. It's a very classy look over all, gives the watch a bit more panache than the painted hand variants IMHO. I think you'll be pleased.

What makes the bracelet different for sizing IIRC is the need to use two opposing screwdrivers simultaneously to remove links. This can be very awkward, especially without a "Third Hand" tool (did it myself on a Marathon SAR bracelet). If having a pro do this, make sure they have this or a similar tool (see link).

If the screws are difficult to break free BTW, stop, don't fight them. Mild heat is the answer, and a handheld hairdryer or hot tap water should work just fine.

BTW, recalling a poll on wrist size on our Public Forum, nearly two hundred responses indicate 7.25 inch (same as mine, and I typically need to remove 2-3 links on most bracelets) is about average. 7" was #1 with 32 votes, 6.75" got 30 votes and 7.25" totaled 23.

I'll leave the other questions for others. Enjoy your new watch (post pictures! ), and enjoy the Forum!
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

Wrt the hands not being white, that's really ok by me. The mirror polished steel look will match the bezel and case so it is still a cool look imo.

The external look is just part of the reason I chose the watch. The ETA 2892 decorated movement was also a determining factor.

The only aspect I will (probably) have difficulty with is changing straps. I'm use to the drilled lugs and spring bars of my O7's, which makes changing straps a snap.

The Doxa website has an animated demo on how to add/remove links. I'll give it a (careful) go when I get the watch. It's being shipped from over seas (or under seas ) so it may be several days. It's going to be frustrating not to be able to just strap it on and wear it right off, unless link removal is easy. I won't forget your tip about using heat.

And yes, I will post some pictures. I plan on giving it a good workout right off by taking it on some local hikes in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, which is almost literally in my back yard. The fall is just around the corner and I will also get some shots when the leaves are just right.

Dan
    Daniel

[QUOTE=WatchObsession;2211518]If care is taken there is no problem switching from bracelet to strap and back again, here's a tempter

Great picture, love the blue strap. I'll be ordering one this week.

Has anyone ever tried fitting it with a Maratac Elite strap? I know I'm going to try it with a 22mm one but I may need to shave off a small amount with a razor to get a custom fit.

Dan
    Daniel

Hi Dan,

I have to completely agree with T Bone. You really need to use the 3rd hand if you are going to do the links and swap out the bracelet. Several people here on the forum were not very happy without using one because they really scratched things up trying to get the screws out. I used the 3rd hand and even with it it was a pain. But it did work fine and no scratches. Just my 2 cents ....

John
    John M.

congrats you made a wise choice! huge watch for the money.it has the heft the looks and the history to back it up. many ideas and suggestions went into building that watch and what is is today because of Doxas focus on the customer..unlike any company ive seen do.!kudos to doxa and again congrats!
    Name:  P6090069.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  65.3 KB

Point taken. The animated demo on the Doxa website sure makes it look easy. Oh well, I will either get the tool or have a professional do it.

I called a few places around town and none of them have ever heard of Doxa. Scary.

Dan
    Daniel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information