Interesting trip to San Diego

Thread: Interesting trip to San Diego

Interesting trip to San Diego

I just arrived back home from a memorable trip to San Diego. It was full of Doxa activities which kept it entertaining.

First, I met up with Danny S. a little over a week ago and picked up a watch from him. Excuse the pic, but I will get a better one in the next couple days. Now, I realize it is not a Doxa, but I just couldn't resist with those Doxa hands. I am in search of a vintage 300T dial if anyone knows of one........

BTW, if you ever get the chance to purchase a watch from Danny, GO FOR IT!! He is an excellent person, and it was a real pleasure to talk with him. I have never met someone that is so particular about his watches. I can assure you that it will be in tip-top condition. You can tell he has been in the watch scene for a long time as he is a plethora of knowledge about fine timepieces.

Ok, so if you ever get a chance to go to San Diego there are a couple things that you MUST see. We went and saw the aircraft carrier that is available for tours (USS Midway). Click HERE for more information.

Something else that the kids and I enjoyed immensely is the seals. This is a pic at Children's Pool. It is a little man-made area that was intentionally designed for the use by kids. The seals have taken it over, and the seals now use it for relaxation as well as breeding. Really fun to see.

I also met with Avi (frogman) while I was there. What an outstanding guy!! He has worn his Doxa to its fullest extent. From diving in the Pacific with his 7mil wetsuit, to wearing it with a tuxedo to a wedding. Very nice fellow, and if you ever have a chance to sit down with him......I would highly recommend it. It was a pleasure to visit with him. ( I am hopeful that he will post a pic of our meeting to this thread).

On our way home, I didn't realize I was in for a special, unexpected treat. I was walking through the airport in Salt Lake City, and I spied what appeared to be a rice-bead bracelet as I walked by. I turned around and this is the model he was wearing

I happened to have my Mil Sharky on and I stopped and spoke to him for several minutes. I did not catch his name as I only had a 30 minute layover and nearly missed my plane. I told him about the forum, (he did not even realize that it existed) and I am hopeful that he might stop by and say hello. I couldn't believe that I had truly bumped into someone wearing a Doxa Sub. I know that several of you other guys have done so, (strangely it seems that several were in airports) but this was the first time for me.

It was a great trip, and I am hopeful that I might get to meet other forum members as I move about the country (and hopefully abroad). Every member that I have ever conversed with has been a pleasure to talk to.
    Last edited by Jason71; November 19th, 2007 at 13:33.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Re: Interesting trip to San Diego

Jason,

Happy to see that you got home safe and sound. Thank you for the kind words! I just got back to Los Angeles and wanted to say what a treat it was to meet you and appreciate the fact that you took time out of your vacation to sit and chat and shared a portion of your collection. They're all great watches, but I had the most fun just getting to know you and I'm happy you did as well.

I promised you the link to the Nethercutt car collection in my area, and here it is for everyone to enjoy:

http://nethercuttcollection.org/index2.html

Once you enter, take some time to look through the museum section as well as the tab that says "San Sylmar." If you're a classic car enthusiast, you'll enjoy it. I'm more than happy to take you next time you come out West.

By the way, did you get a chance to visit the Maritime Museum right next to the carrier? It's a nice way to spend a couple of hours and features artwork from Richard DeRossett, mentioned by Clive in a couple of his novels. Very nice paintings of maritime settings.

Finally, here's a picture of two handsome fellas wearing some REALLY nice looking watches...I'm on the left with my "well worn" 750 Pro, and our good moderator Jason is sporting a very nice Military Sharkhunter...

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Man, now there is a picture of a couple of rogues I've met... shifty looking pair ha, ha, ha

Avi, you need to hit Denver for the Cussler gig next year.

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Jason,

Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm guessing you didn't make it to the Birch Aquarium at Scripps, did ya?
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Peter Millar View Post
    Man, now there is a picture of a couple of rogues I've met... shifty looking pair ha, ha, ha

Avi, you need to hit Denver for the Cussler gig next year.

Pete

Pete - the list of Doxaholics I've been meeting has slowly grown over the past few months. I met some guy in the Chicago area a few months ago - funny guy, had a bit of an accent. I think he owns a rare Doxa or two.

I'm planning on getting to the next convention - I have friends in the area so it'll be nice to catch up with them as well. I couldn't make it this year because I had started a new job, but I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Happy to see that you enjoyed "Americas Finest City!" It is wonderful to hear people say good things about my Hometown. :)

Next time you're in town, give me a ring, I'm sure that my Doxa buddies and I can arrange a few other activities for you that San Diego has to offer!
    Doxa Caribbean 750T 11/250
    Doxa Sharkhunter 600T-Graph 60/250
    Doxa Professional 800Ti 76/500

Glad we got to hang out a while before you flew out Jason. Always nice to hang a face to a name.

Hard to believe the Doxas this guy has!

Great photos from the left coast. Been afraid to visit out that way, afraid I wouldn't want to come back!

Good to see you home safe.

Thread Information