Keeping it vintage(well almost)

Thread: Keeping it vintage(well almost)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Keeping it vintage(well almost)

Recently I've been working on a project for the Historical Diving Society, so I thought it was time to put some of my old gear into action. The rig is all 1970s Scubapro with the Nautilus hard-shell bc, MK5/109 regulators, Pressurizer Compact mask, SOS 500ft depth gauge, 3000psi pressure gauge and a pair of Jetfins.

Since I'm not wild about getting any of my vintage divers wet, I selected a 5000T Professional DOXA for an extra punch of orange. Plus...nothing says "vintage '70s diver" like a DOXA.

And for the close-up watch pic.........

Overall it was an enjoyable dive, and I always find it interesting to dive vintage gear. For one, it gives you a greater appreciation for the gear we have now, and it also helps you gain respect for the divers and their gear who came before us.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Re: Keeping it vintage(well almost)

Very cool pictures!

Looks like a real interesting dive. Thanks for sharing!
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you are going to try vintage gear, why not go all the way with a double hose regulator
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!" ---Buckaroo Banzai

Quote Originally Posted by Poorman View Post
    If you are going to try vintage gear, why not go all the way with a double hose regulator
    Thanks Andy, but for me it's more about collecting vintage Scubapro than just vintage gear in general. I guess you probably know that Scubapro never made a double-hose regulator and the closest that I could get would be to dive a Healthways.

Interesting reg, the double-hose. Maybe it's because I've never dove a properly tuned/rebuilt one, but I've always found them awkward and difficult to breathe. They are fun though in a pool, and that's about as deep as I'd take one.

"The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Hi Ty,

The trick is to get one properly set up, and it's position on your back makes a huge difference. A single stage Mistral is great as it has only one moving part and breathes great! If rebuilt with silicone diaphragm it is even better. Check out Vintage Double Hose on the web I collect early '60s scuba gear, mostly US Divers and La Spirotechnique.

Cheers,
    Andy

Hey Ty,

Awesome old school gear. What's the hose on your left shoulder?

Regards
    Scott
    "Most people go their whole lives wondering if they've made a difference, U.S. Marines do not have that problem." - Former U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

That is an oral inflator for the BC.

Cheers,
    Andy

That is an oral inflator for the BC.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Right Andy, it's the hose for the oral/power inflator just like on a traditional BC.

Scott, the rig dives just like any other back inflation BC. Inside the hard shell, is a 'horse shoe" shaped bladder with an over pressure valve placed toward the top. To dump air(so you can submerge), you vent it out through the inflator. It also had places to integrate weights and also has tabs so you can ditch the weight quicky if the need arises. Although the execution was clumsy with the hard shell, a BC with back inflation and weight integration in the '70s, was really ahead of it's time.

Hi Ty,

The trick is to get one properly set up, and it's position on your back makes a huge difference. A single stage Mistral is great as it has only one moving part and breathes great! If rebuilt with silicone diaphragm it is even better. Check out Vintage Double Hose on the web I collect early '60s scuba gear, mostly US Divers and La Spirotechnique.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Knowing the history of the three double hose regs that I've dove (one DA Aquamaster and two Royal Aquamasters), I doubt they were really set up at all. I suspect they were probably running unrestored and mostly all original parts. Maybe one day I'll run across a Mistral and it will change my mind.

When I originally stated that I thought they were awkward, proper placement on your back is what I was referring to. If I remember correctly, head down makes it's difficult to breathe and head up will cause it to almost free flow. I know it's manageable and is probably all in what you get used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information