My 1st Doxa (and the path that took me there :- )
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: My 1st Doxa (and the path that took me there :- )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 1st Doxa (and the path that took me there :- )

Hello Doxa-fans,

I recently acquired my first Doxa, the 750T Sharkhunter, which I'm really enjoying :- )

It's been through two sets of hands, as far as I'm aware, but is in pretty good condition and, happily, is keeping excellent time (approx + 1 sec/d).

I wasn't initially drawn to the Doxa look -- it seemed kind of ugly to be honest -- but bit by bit I warmed to it. The first pre-cursor was a Dagaz Modded "Soxa" watch, which I really liked, but which was slightly too small for my tastes (see pic below). I then discovered that Dagaz had come out with a watch called the Aurora, which featured the "Soxa" dial with a 43 mm cushion case. However, the Auroras seem pretty hard to come by, and a couple that came up for sale were snapped up too quickly for me to nab one. My interest broadened to the Dagaz Typhoon, which is also a kind of Doxa Homage, but at a higher price point than the Aurora. Again, I nearly managed to buy one on two occasions, but each time they were taken by the time I pulled the trigger. So I waited...

But after having been thwarted for several months, I started thinking that it might be better to spend a bit more money, and buy an actual Doxa! :- ) Having done some preliminary research I determined that I wanted one of the larger sized Doxa's (not the smaller vintage or recent re-issues) and that I wanted one with a black or orange dial. And after a few near misses, I picked up a Sharkhunter at a very reasonable price (pics to follow).

Very happy with it, and am now in the market for one of the 44mm+ orange-dialled models :- )

Here's my Dagaz "Soxa" Seiko Mod -- my 1st step to Doxa ownership:

Name:  Dagaz Soxa 1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  4.28 MB

Re: My 1st Doxa (and the path that took me there :- )

And here's a few pictures of my 750T Sharkhunter taken over the past week (it was actually exactly last Monday that it appeared at my door :- )

Name:  Doxa Sharkhunter 2.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  2.62 MBName:  Doxa Red Stripe 3.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  1.26 MBName:  Doxa Cam 1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  3.58 MBName:  Doxa Cam 3.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  813.6 KBName:  Doxa w Bridge 1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  3.40 MBName:  Doxa River 1.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  3.33 MB

Congrats, wear it in good health! Those natos fit the watch perfectly!
    watchingandwaiting likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Omega:
    SMPc Black, SMP 2254.50 Doxa: Sub 1200T Sharkhunter Seiko: SBBN031 Tuna, SBDC053 62Mas, SRPA21 PADI Turtle, SKX009 Oris: Aquis Blue Hamilton: Khaki Field Mechanical G-Shock: GW7900B-1

Instagram: @the.realwatchman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mreal75 View Post
    Congrats, wear it in good health! Those natos fit the watch perfectly!
    Thanks! :- ) The 1st Nato is the one it came on, but I thought I would experiment with another option and I like the 2nd Nato even better.

Have a Beads Of Rice bracelet ordered, and it should be waiting for me when I get back from my trip tomorrow. At this point it will have stiff competition for wrist time!
    Mreal75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchingandwaiting View Post
    Thanks! :- ) The 1st Nato is the one it came on, but I thought I would experiment with another option and I like the 2nd Nato even better.

Have a Beads Of Rice bracelet ordered, and it should be waiting for me when I get back from my trip tomorrow. At this point it will have stiff competition for wrist time!
    I love the 750T, and I have two of them, but the bracelet/strap situation is a bit difficult as the 750T has a 21mm lug width. Most watches have 18mm, 20mm or 22mm width, and most straps are made in these dimensions. The faux BOR that came new with the watch was 20mm, but the solid end links were 21mm. A 22mm NATO will work fine on the watch, but I assume you will have a harder time getting a 22mm rubber or leather strap to fit - and a 20mm will leave a small gap, albeit hardly perceptible.
    Reality:
    Doxa SUB Mission 31 (mission worn)
    Doxa SUB 200T T-Graph Searambler
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC Divingstar
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC MilShark
    Doxa SUB 5000T MilShark (#0052)

Dreams:
    Doxa SUB 300T Poseidon (original)
    Doxa SUB 600 T-Graph Searambler
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by watchingandwaiting View Post
    And here's a few pictures of my 750T Sharkhunter taken over the past week (it was actually exactly last Monday that it appeared at my door :- )
    Gorgeous! Congrats!! LOVE 750Ts!!!

Great story! It was the Dagaz Aurora that brought me to Doxa as well.

After looking at Doxa for years, and passing them off as a lot of money for such an odd looking watch, I found Dagaz's Typhoon II. Bought one of those. I noticed the Aurora at that time, barely giving it a second glance, before dismissing it. For years, I thought they were fugly, only exceeded for fugliest by the Seiko Camel Toe. Over time, for some reason, I slowly became intrigued, then finally bought one on a whim.

The Aurora was one of, if not the, most comfortable watches I have ever owned. It beats my 1200T. I'm not sure if Noah or Jake designed this one, but it's brilliant. It "out doxa's" Doza: the case back is recessed inside the case edges, so the case back does not protrude below the lugs. The result: the case edges sit right on the wrist. Unlike Doxa's protruding case back, which lifts the watch off the wrist, creating instability. The Aurora literally sticks to the wrist.

I believe some of the early Doxa's, with more pedestrian depth rating, and less protruding case backs, sat lower on the wrist.

Noah's Tsunami is another legend from Dagaz. I really wanted one of those, but missed out. Can't touch those now. Another one I missed out on was the 1st Cav.

Name:  dagaz side 2.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  902.4 KB
    Name:  dagaz side 1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  928.1 KB
    Name:  dagaz back.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  384.4 KB
    Name:  dagaz front.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  919.6 KB

Now I have these... one regular orange, the other dark orange (how we refer to the Sharkhunter around here... the Caribbean is "Sky-Tone Orange, Poseidon is "Sunshine Orange", and Searambler "Brilliant Orange").

Name:  lune4.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  1.90 MB
    Name:  _DSC5245.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.50 MB
    Name:  lume2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  2.69 MB
    Last edited by nepatriot; October 16th, 2018 at 01:44.

Quote Originally Posted by El Loco Norwegian View Post
    I love the 750T, and I have two of them, but the bracelet/strap situation is a bit difficult as the 750T has a 21mm lug width. Most watches have 18mm, 20mm or 22mm width, and most straps are made in these dimensions. The faux BOR that came new with the watch was 20mm, but the solid end links were 21mm. A 22mm NATO will work fine on the watch, but I assume you will have a harder time getting a 22mm rubber or leather strap to fit - and a 20mm will leave a small gap, albeit hardly perceptible.
    Yes, 21mm is a bit tricky, but for this kind of larger watch I would typically only want to use a nato, which will usually work in 22mm size, or a bracelet. The Beads of Rice bracelet I ordered is from WatchGecko, which thankfully comes in 21mm size. Hopefully it will fit no problem, though a second issue with the 750T is that the springbars are very close to the case meaning that not even all 21mm bracelets will necessarily work...

Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    Great story! It was the Dagaz Aurora that brought me to Doxa as well.

After looking at Doxa for years, and passing them off as a lot of money for such an odd looking watch, I found Dagaz's Typhoon II. Bought one of those. I noticed the Aurora at that time, barely giving it a second glance, before dismissing it. For years, I thought they were fugly, only exceeded for fugliest by the Seiko Camel Toe. Over time, for some reason, I slowly became intrigued, then finally bought one on a whim.

The Aurora was one of, if not the, most comfortable watches I have ever owned. It beats my 1200T. I'm not sure if Noah or Jake designed this one, but it's brilliant. It "out doxa's" Doza: the case back is recessed inside the case edges, so the case back does not protrude below the lugs. The result: the case edges sit right on the wrist. Unlike Doxa's protruding case back, which lifts the watch off the wrist, creating instability. The Aurora literally sticks to the wrist.

I believe some of the early Doxa's, with more pedestrian depth rating, and less protruding case backs, sat lower on the wrist.

Noah's Tsunami is another legend from Dagaz. I really wanted one of those, but missed out. Can't touch those now. Another one I missed out on was the 1st Cav.
    Thanks for sharing your story re your Dagaz to Doxa transition. For me the Aurora seemed so attractive-looking and cheap, that it felt like an excellent tester for possibly getting a Doxa in the future (though it sounds like it may be an even better watch in it's own right than I fully appreciated). But, perhaps because they are so well-designed, they are surprisingly hard to come by.

The Typhoon II is, to my eye, slightly less satisfying than the Aurora (even if it has higher end specs), notwithstanding my having a soft-spot for typhoons (I lived in Hong Kong for many years... prior to my watch obsession it must be said). But the price is 2-3X the Aurora, and starting to move in the direction of a cheaper Doxa...

And, for whatever reason, looking at the Soxa dials, Auroras, Typhoon IIs, all seems to have helped the Doxas transition from odd to oddly appealing ;- )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information