My Doxa got recognized..........

Thread: My Doxa got recognized..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Doxa got recognized..........

A friend and I were waiting for our favorite Mexican restaurant to open along with 8 or 10 other people. Out of the corner of my eye I see this guy about 15 feet away pointing in my direction while talking with his friend.

When the doors open we meet up while approaching the entrance and the fellow asks if I'm wearing a Doxa? Yup, I say. We start up a conversation and he shows me his Rolex 5512. He also hadn't heard about the new 1200T Pro and thought mine was a 1000T.

I wonder when will be the next time someone recognizes my Doxa from that far away. Maybe never, huh? I enjoyed that.
    Best Regards,
    Ray K

Re: My Doxa got recognized..........

That's cool! In all my travels I have never had anyone recognize or comment on my Sharkhunter.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

The first time I had my Doxa 600t Pro on outside of the house after getting it about 18 months ago my family went to a local sub shop and the person that appeared to be the owner or GM had on what I now know was a 750t Pro. I had on a long sleeve shirt and my Doxa was covered, but he had on a short sleeve shirt and the orange was blazing. It was a little disconcerting to me since I had just learned about Doxa after joining this forum and was thinking there would not that be many at all in Austin, Texas! And then I see one an hour of of the house the first day I wore it! Even my wife (who actually now has her own orange Doxa) saw it and said something to the effect of "isn't that what you just got, but that looks huge!". I had to explain about different models, etc...

Had not thought about that for a long time until I saw your post.
    RALaustin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice to be noticed! I got a comment at a local Tourneau here in Manhattan when I was wearing my 1000T Carib, which was shocking to say the least given their (generally deserved) reputation as salesmen who know NOTHING about watches!

I was also once in traffic on the West Side and noticed that the guy driving a Range Rover next to me had his hand dangling out the window. I noticed orange and a familiar case shape, so I yelled over to him and asked if it was a DOXA, and sure enough, it was a 750 Pro GMT!

Obviously being a WIS I take note of the timepieces of just about everybody I encounter, but DOXA sightings are rare, so I always feel the need to say something about it.
    DOXA Sub 1000T Caribbean, Seiko 6105, Omega Speedmaster .861, Seiko 6139, Marathon GSAR 06 Contract, Heuer "Siffert" Autavia, Rolex Submariner 16800, Rolex GMT Master 1675, Heuer "Viceroy" Autavia, Omega Speedmaster Mk II, Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox, Rolex Explorer I, Heuer Bundeswehr....and more.

It is fun to have someone recognize your Doxa.

I had the reverse situation a couple of years ago when I ran across a guy at a Barnes and Noble here in the Richmond area. He was wearing a 750T Pro. I figured that fellow Doxa owners like to be recognized, so I said something. I think I was wearing my 750T Sharkie or Pro GMT at the time. He was cordial but, oddly, not very engaged. Once I realized that I was doing all the talking, I gracefully said my fare-thee-well and left. I still don't know if he was a WUS member.

Rob

I guess when you're a WIS...........

it's easy to think everyone should recognize a fine Swiss watch but, hardly anyone on the "outside" does except people who also own them. And, even many of those could care less about the details.
    Best Regards,
    Ray K

No one has ever recognized any watch I've worn with the exception of a Rolex Submariner...and then it was "Is that a fake?". I did have a gas jockey/avid diver comment on it once but only as a dive watch, he had never heard of the brand. He was very impressed with the watch as a diver so I steered him to the website...
    Chuck Norris doesn't wear a watch...HE decides what time it is.

I noticed a guy in an airport wearing a doxa a few months ago. I was wearing my Rolex sub LV but had my vintage 300t in my carry on. We had a good WIS chat. I don't comment on big brand watches b/c I have found that most people just aren't like us...

Hey the same thing happened to me. On Oahu, up on the north shore a few weeks back, and we walk by a small custom jewellery shop, I notice a blare of orange and it looks like a 750, I have on my 1000T pro and so I go in. I walk up to the fellow, he appeared in hi 60's I am in my 50's, and I chat him up he is wearing the same watch, He kinda blows me off like yea so, first time I realized that not everyone is a WUS / WIS and wants to talk about watches. I was cordial and left. In a few very expensive watch shops, looking at GP, Omega, Paneri, Breitling, Rolex etc, and not one of the people, including the repair guys knew what I had on my wrist. Go figure.....................
    It gets recognized all the time at work.
    Regards
    Robt

Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post
    It is fun to have someone recognize your Doxa.

I had the reverse situation a couple of years ago when I ran across a guy at a Barnes and Noble here in the Richmond area. He was wearing a 750T Pro. I figured that fellow Doxa owners like to be recognized, so I said something. I think I was wearing my 750T Sharkie or Pro GMT at the time. He was cordial but, oddly, not very engaged. Once I realized that I was doing all the talking, I gracefully said my fare-thee-well and left. I still don't know if he was a WUS member.

Rob
    " For watches there's always TIME "

I was asked what the time was that was on my watch ?
    Does anybody really know what time it is ?
    Does anybody really care ?
    If so I can't imagine why..........
    I do, I do, I do care about time.
    (Thanks R Lamm)

Back in 2008, the first time I went diving at Roatan, one of the other guests at the resort came up to me and wanted to look at my 750T Pro. He was wearing an orange monster, so he asks me if I would mind showing it to his wife. Of course I said sure I'll show it to her. So he says, "Honey here is that watch I was telling you about. The one I want to get when I retire."

It was really cool and I had to break out the others I had with me and show and tell.

I have had a couple people notice it and say something ... It always feels great.

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information