My Doxa Story - Becoming a Doxa Collector
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: My Doxa Story - Becoming a Doxa Collector

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

This is my Doxa Story. Iíve always been a dive guy. I started with a massive Citizen then came the straps, then the number of watches I bought and sold to learn what I liked. I always looked for the next best thing. Moving around like a animal looking for my next meal.

The Tudor Black Bay was a great watch to own. Mine was before they offered an Inhouse movement. Sold that for a Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial. I have to list the whole name because Omega likes to call a number of different watches ĎSeamaster 300sí. Then came the Rolex GMT and the sub. Through my collecting I always looked at whatís next. Iíd sell my current watches to fund the next one. My collection was never more than two to three watches at a time.

To be honest with myself I can not sit still. The more I read about horology the more interested I became in buying rare vintage pieces or having to own a Speedy. Offer me a rare sub and I still would have went for the Speedy instead after reading all the rich history of the Apollo missions. My fiance bought me a vintage Speedy and I could not be happier. I was fascinated with the watch that went to the moon. Now that I own one, I love it as much as I thought I would. Itís a great watch and since it was gift I can never sell it. I can not be tempted to sell it to fund another obsession.

Since the Speedy was the watch that I always chased now I was open to try new things like the Rolexes I mentioned and a Breitling Navitimer, IWC Pilot and a high end Nomos.

Finally came the night where I was poking around on Ebay looking at watch listings. Doxa was always a brand I knew of but never one I really looked into buying. Iíve been on the site but the numbers were confusing for the models. There on Ebay was a 1500t near mint. I bought the 1500t and was really impressed with the watch. So impressed I decided I wanted something closer to the vintage models. A black lung came up for sale so I jumped on it and sold my 1500t.

Then of course the Poseidons started to ship and one was listed on the forum.
    Horological-psychologist - reached out to me to tell me a watch was for sale and I should check it out. I reached out to the seller to buy it.

Explaining to my fiance that I sent a random man I met on the internet who lives in Hong Kong and goes by the name Top Hot Dog, a $550 deposit for a watch he doesn't even own was a bit strange. She was completely fine with it but when I was explaining it I had to question my own actions. The watch came shortly after.

Enjoying the Poseidon for as little time as Iíve had it, my eyes have started to wonder. If you have tried to sell a Doxa with in the past month or two there is a good change I reached out to you. I decided to buy a 1200t Pro from Doxa this morning.

With the 1200t on backorder I now need to calm myself and wait for the watch to come in. Doxaís are not the most expensive watches out there but nonetheless they are not cheap by any standard. That Sub C I moved cost a pretty penny but Doxaís hold their value well because Doxa fans are crazy about this brand. Doxaís are great value for the what they cost and you are buying quality. Iím sure Iíll end up with another Doxa just hopefully not too soon.

Right now Iím obsessed with the brand. Iíve been obsessed with brands before but with Doxa itís different. With Doxa I want that adventure people associate with the brand. When sitting on a beach or using the bezel as a backup on a dive itís about the adventure not the watch.

The old ads with a man in a wetsuit and a Doxa around his wrist is one of the reasons I pulled the trigger in the first place. Itís about the history of the brand. It does not matter what has changed through the years, what matters is the story you will tell about something you did. That watch is supposed to be there with you. Not a $8,500 dive watch meant to be worn to a meeting with a client but a true dive watch meant to be taken to depths no human should ever go.

Doxa was the reason I asked a client to wait a second while we were walking through Times Square so I could buy a Clive Cussler Novel from a pop up Stand book stand on the side of the street. Ironically people buy Doxaís because of the character in some of Cusslerís books I was the opposite.

For me all this comes down to the next step. Iíve been looking for a watch like the ones Doxa makes. I like my Poseidon more than most of my other watches. Itís far from perfect but itís mine and I want it to be the watch that will be there when I go on my first dive or when Iím swimming the shores in the summer. Iíd like to see myself as the man in that 60ís ad with a Doxa on the wrist. Like that Vintage Speedy itís about the history behind the watch and how it makes you feel when wearing one.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	20180709_205546.jpg†
Views:	357†
Size:	554.1 KB†
ID:	13289531

Re: My Doxa Story - Becoming a Doxa Collector

Holy Cow, your Doxa story is so close to mine its frightening, lol.
    Last edited by SERGEANT_AT_ARMS; July 15th, 2018 at 04:35.

Right there with you.

The Project Aware came last March. It was a must buy...that turquoise. The Poseidon was ordered immediately upon receiving the email from DOXA.

Unlike you, I canít seem to ever sell a watch, so the Omega X-33, Omega SMP GMT, Ball Hydrocarbon and others are getting lonely.

There are a few more DOXAs in my future. I suppose I should eventually get an orange one. Iíve got the ďspecial editionĒ thing going with the Poseidon and PA, and would like to continue the trend. Oh yeah, and a t-graph. Iíd love a modern reissue of a bicompax chrono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm also a recent convert. Story got me as well. As it has for most of my watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OrangeWaves and Formula1980 like this.
    Mavan Enthusiast
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

The time is secondary.

I'm surprised it seems so few people I speak to know about Doxa but each limited release they sell out.
    I wonder if people that follow Doxa are different then people who are die hard fans of other brands.

I will say the price difference, Doxa being sub 2k area it's easier to collect them for me. Also that resale
    value helps me stay optimistic if I ever need to sell a watch.

My introduction to Doxa came hard and brutally on June 5th 2014, when Hodinkee published an article about 'Mission 31'. I had known about Jacques Cousteau for many years, and loved his documentaries, but Doxa was not a brand I was familiar with. When reading about the Cousteau/Doxa connection I became somewhat infatuated with the brand. My watch collection was comprised primarily of black dialed watches (mostly Eterna Kontiki watches), as I don't like anything too "loud", but when I read in the article that there were mission worn examples of the Doxa M31 for sale, I was not going to let the chance pass me by to get hold of one. I immediately went to the Doxa website and ordered an M31, provided it was mission worn by Fabien. Sure enough, they had a few examples left, and I received number 25. So within just a few hours of hearing of the brand, I had ordered and made payment for my first Doxa.

Since then a few more Doxas have come than have gone. I have bought 5 brand new watches from Doxa, of which 3 have been sold on, and 2 used watches. And although I use other watches as well, Doxa is the brand that is most often seen on my wrist. Today I am again wearing the Poseidon, and loving it.

Here is the Hodinkee article that started the snowball rolling: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/di...g-for-the-dive
    Reality:
    Doxa SUB Mission 31 (mission worn)
    Doxa SUB 200T T-Graph Searambler
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC Divingstar
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC MilShark
    Doxa SUB 5000T MilShark (#0052)

Dreams:
    Doxa SUB 300T Poseidon (original)
    Doxa SUB 600 T-Graph Searambler
    Doxa SUB 750T COSC Caribbean

Quote Originally Posted by El Loco Norwegian View Post
    My introduction to Doxa came hard and brutally on June 5th 2014, when Hodinkee published an article about 'Mission 31'. I had known about Jacques Cousteau for many years, and loved his documentaries, but Doxa was not a brand I was familiar with. When reading about the Cousteau/Doxa connection I became somewhat infatuated with the brand. My watch collection was comprised primarily of black dialed watches (mostly Eterna Kontiki watches), as I don't like anything too "loud", but when I read in the article that there were mission worn examples of the Doxa M31 for sale, I was not going to let the chance pass me by to get hold of one. I immediately went to the Doxa website and ordered an M31, provided it was mission worn by Fabien. Sure enough, they had a few examples left, and I received number 25. So within just a few hours of hearing of the brand, I had ordered and made payment for my first Doxa.

Since then a few more Doxas have come than have gone. I have bought 5 brand new watches from Doxa, of which 3 have been sold on, and 2 used watches. And although I use other watches as well, Doxa is the brand that is most often seen on my wrist. Today I am again wearing the Poseidon, and loving it.

Here is the Hodinkee article that started the snowball rolling: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/di...g-for-the-dive
    It's a good article. I just gave it another read. I remember seeing it a while back.
    I had a 1500t for a short while. When I was buying another pro I considered buying another 1500t.
    I believe the Mission 31's are still available but without a bracelet. I'd really like to have the bracelet to buy one unless I can get a 'dive' copy.
    If one of the watches used in the dive came up I'd want to buy it.

I first heard of the Doxa brand back in the 70's reading the Clive Cussler novels but I didn't know it was a real brand until 2002 when I learned that Doxa was releasing the 300T re-issue. I had always been fascinated with the "orange faced Doxa dive watch" in the Cussler novels so I had to order one.

In 2003 when Doxa came out with the 600T Pro, I had to have that one as well. I currently own five Doxa's which you can see in my signature.

I haven't bought a new Doxa since the 1200T Searambler came out since they have pretty much moved out of the price range I want to spend on a watch.

I don't even wear any of them anymore since my favorite one, the 600T Pro quit working several years ago and it was going to cost a lot of money to get it repaired. I now mostly wear one of my Scurfa divers since they are just more convenient being they are a quartz.
    Doxa Sub 1000T Professional
    Doxa Sub 600T Professional
    Doxa Sub 600T Divingstar
    Doxa Sub 600T Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub 1200T Searambler
    Seiko Orange "Sumo"
    Seiko SKX011J
    Seiko SKX011K
    Seiko 7002-7039
    Casio G-Shock DW5600
    Zixen Trimix 44 diver(Black face)
    Zixen Zulu Black face diver.
    Scurfa Nato
    Scurfa Diver One SS
    Scurfa Bell Diver 1
    Scurfa MS 18
    Citizen Eco-drive 300m diver.

I first heard of the Doxa brand back in the 70's reading the Clive Cussler novels but I didn't know it was a real brand until 2002 when I learned that Doxa was releasing the 300T re-issue. I had always been fascinated with the "orange faced Doxa dive watch" in the Cussler novels so I had to order one.

In 2003 when Doxa came out with the 600T Pro, I had to have that one as well. I currently own five Doxa's which you can see in my signature.

I haven't bought a new Doxa since the 1200T Searambler came out since they have pretty much moved out of the price range I want to spend on a watch.

I don't even wear any of them anymore since my favorite one, the 600T Pro quit working several years ago and it was going to cost a lot of money to get it repaired. I now mostly wear one of my Scurfa divers since they are just more convenient being they are a quartz.
    Doxa Sub 1000T Professional
    Doxa Sub 600T Professional
    Doxa Sub 600T Divingstar
    Doxa Sub 600T Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub 1200T Searambler
    Seiko Orange "Sumo"
    Seiko SKX011J
    Seiko SKX011K
    Seiko 7002-7039
    Casio G-Shock DW5600
    Zixen Trimix 44 diver(Black face)
    Zixen Zulu Black face diver.
    Scurfa Nato
    Scurfa Diver One SS
    Scurfa Bell Diver 1
    Scurfa MS 18
    Citizen Eco-drive 300m diver.

Quote Originally Posted by 70monte View Post

I'm sad to see you are discouraged to have your 600t repaired.
    Nonetheless it's a nice collection!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast