My favourite Doxa

Thread: My favourite Doxa

My favourite Doxa

Nope it's not the HRV Conquistador. It is my "bitsa" refurb. It started life as a pretty beat up Searambler. I bought it as a donor watch for my Irishstar dial but the dial wouldn't fit so I stuck in the redialed Professional dial I had made up. I left the hands orange because I liked the way it looked... orange on orange for the minute and sweep hands which also gives it a fairly unique look.

I restored the case and bezel and repainted the numbers. I relumed the hands and modified a yachtmaster style brushed and polished bracelet. The movement which was original was supposed to have been serviced just before I bought the watch, well if it was the guy who serviced it was crap. The watch kept stopping at 3:50 and 10:20 PM every day. In the end I found another donor movement and swapped it. She's running fine now.

Why is it my favourite? Well because it is pretty unique. I sort of built it myself (well refurbished it anyway) and all in all it stands me less than 600 bucks. It is perfect size and weight for my 6.75 inch wrist and it has a flat crystal and deep set dial. Also the colour of the dial is darker than the 750T which was my daily wear. It's not as obtrusive as the 750T and to me is more subtle rather than in your face. Also because it was literally resurrected from trashville it still has the wabi-sabi from almost 40 years of wear and use.

Wabi-sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in imperfection and profundity.

It's serial number is a bit less than the HRV Conq and it is exactly the same watch as the Conq except it hasn't a HRV. It is therefore around 37 to 38 years old.

If I beat it up a bit, I won't worry too much. I hope I don't bash it but I won't mollycoddle it like the modern ones I have. It's pretty much the perfect SUB for me and is fending of my other watches for wrist time easily. I never even got the Coppa out of the box for Sunday.

Pete

Re: My favourite Doxa

Wow Doc That is one BEAUTIFUL watch you put together. You truly have a great talent. A talent that i would give a leg for. I can't give an arm then that would only leave one arm for a watch .

Wear that with great PRIDE.

Take Care
    Thanks Nick

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Doc...the watch looks great and I can see how reviving it yourself can make it extra special.

I always thought WABI was an acronym for something like, Worn And Broken In. Thanks for the true definition.....I've learned my "something new" today.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pete, is that the watch Kieran was wearing when we met in Las Vegas? Nice job, BTW!

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by JBernstein View Post
    Pete, is that the watch Kieran was wearing when we met in Las Vegas? Nice job, BTW!

Jeremy
    It is indeed Jeremy and if you remember it stopped at around 3:50 as we were speaking... Obviously that put me off wearing it. But now... definite wrist hugger.

Pete

What the hell Pete if ya feel that way no sense in keeping the HRV Conquistador and just have it sitting around ... send it to me and I'll give her the wrist time!!! LOL ... great looking watch you put together ... which ones you bringing to CCCS this year?
    John M.

Cool, Cool piece of art Doc!!
    DHD
    DAVID
    DOXA SUB 750T PROFESSIONAL #3509
    DOXA SUB 750T SHARKHUNTER #610
    DOXA SUB 750T SEARAMBLER #165

Have to admit I like the yachtmaster band. I put that on my daily Rolex that had a jubilee for 20+ years and finally gave way. It's a great look.

My Son and I, St. Thomas
    Rolex Sea Dweller 16600

Enicar Sherpa Guide GMT
    Omega Seamaster Soccer Timer
    Breitling Navitimer 806
    IWC Mark XVIII
    Heuer Autavia 11630

Thread Information