My Latest: 3rd Generation Synchron Sharkhunter With Double Logo Dial
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My Latest: 3rd Generation Synchron Sharkhunter With Double Logo Dial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Latest: 3rd Generation Synchron Sharkhunter With Double Logo Dial

It took me a while, but I finally managed to find a 3rd generation Synchron Sharkhunter with both US Divers and Synchron logos on the dial. The added bonuses, it came with its original bracelet and endlinks! The bracelet's tension springs are still nice and tight! It has an orange minute hand!

For the most part, this Sub was fairly clean, needing some slightly below average tidying up.

Name:  WUS083205.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  161.0 KB

This particular specimen was a bit interesting compared to the other vintage Subs I have acquired. I couldn't say no when I saw the orange minute hand! For the most part, the case was never polished, except for the crazy high mirror finish on the sides. Dings, well, there were not too many. The largest ding, and it's no big deal at all, is on an odd place, below one of the lugs. Which also brings me to the mirror finish on the bottom of the lugs. All of the vintage models I've seen have always shown traces of a satin finish below.

Name:  WUS082721.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  153.6 KB

The dial is clean. It does show signs of pitting. I was able to clean off some of the bigger patina in the edges of the dial with a kneaded rubber eraser. The crystal had a perfectly circular scratch on it with a couple of chips. I took what leftover cerium oxide I had and polished the blemishes out. I'd say it was at 84% when I got it. Now I'd rate the crystal at 95%. The scratches are pretty much gone. The chips look like little air bubbles. The lume is still impressive on dial, hands and bezel.

Name:  WUS082530.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  108.3 KB

The bezel was interesting. First, the big red-orange paint dot on the no-deco ring of the bezel is not painted. The best way to describe it - it looks like an orange glass marble pip. It's domed, and catches the light nicely. Factory? The other thing that struck me was the machined satin finish on the no-deco ring of the bezel too. I thought that this part of the bezel was high polished? These marks were clearly factory. Maybe both things were a result of a factory service? The bezel is sharp with the stamping. All I did was satin finish this by hand to ensure the numbers would stay crisp.

Basically, all I did was take the watch apart. Clean the case. Polish the crystal. Re-satin finish the case and bracelet, and touch up the bezel.

Name:  WUS083303.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  150.9 KB

The ETA 2783 (Synchron 58) movement looks clean. The stamping in the case back states that the last servicing was done in 1981? So, yeah, it's not telling good time. The date wheel is also trashed. A new one is on its way. The screw-down crown works like a charm. I should be taking it in for servicing within the next couple of weeks to my local guy.

Name:  WUS090528.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  141.4 KB

Why have I always wanted a 3rd generation Synchron Sub? They are beasts! Yup, I lost the right side up fight via uploading again....but for comparison, here are two of my Sharkhunters, my 1200T and the 3rd generation Synchron side by side. Synchron wins! Also, I had to have one with this logo combo.

Name:  WUS085335.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  141.2 KB

The last time I took one of these pics, I think I had 5 Subs, and that was a couple years back. Life's been good.
    Omar Montaño

Auricoste Spirotechnique
    Auricoste Nouvelle Spirotechnique
    Blancpain Aqua Lung No Radiations
    Doxa Sub 300 Professional Black Lung Reissue
    Doxa Sub 300 Sharkhunter Black Lung Reissue
    Doxa Sub 300T Professional
    Doxa Sub 300T Sharkhunter US Divers
    Doxa Sub 300T Sharkhunter US Divers/Synchron
    Doxa Sub 300T Divingstar Poseidon Reissue
    Doxa Sub 600T Professional Spirotechnique
    Doxa Sub 1200T Sharkhunter
    Doxa Sub Mission 31
    IWC Aquatimer 2000 Ref. 3568
    IWC Aquatimer 2000 Ref. 3538
    IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Ref. 3719
    IWC Aquatimer Chronograph Cousteau Ref. 3767
    Jenny Caribbean 300 Black/Yellow
    Jenny Caribbean 300 Blue/White
    Tudor Submariner 94110

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Re: My Latest: 3rd Generation Synchron Sharkhunter With Double Logo Dial

I love thick cases like these! Hoping we see a return of similar models in Doxa's future :)

beautiful, love all of them

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Outstanding as usual Omar! Three things that jumped out to me: The classic white minute hand on the 300T has always been perfect to me but that orange looks really good. The screw down crown is interesting. I thought the subs went non-screw down for a few years when the Syncron branded dial & caseback appeared. Does the serial # give you a hint as to the year, maybe start with 67 being possibly 1970 or 71? The satin no-deco outer ring is perfect. No worries about spider webbing the polished bits. I really like the brushing you did, just a beautiful piece overall. Nice collection to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ramon View Post
    Outstanding as usual Omar! Three things that jumped out to me: The classic white minute hand on the 300T has always been perfect to me but that orange looks really good. The screw down crown is interesting. I thought the subs went non-screw down for a few years when the Syncron branded dial & caseback appeared. Does the serial # give you a hint as to the year, maybe start with 67 being possibly 1970 or 71? The satin no-deco outer ring is perfect. No worries about spider webbing the polished bits. I really like the brushing you did, just a beautiful piece overall. Nice collection to boot!
    Thanks, man!

Here's a goofy bit...the case back was polished heavily at some point during its history and they did such a good job, they polished out the serial numbers! I didn't see any other numbers on or in the case. My other vintage Sharkhunter is a 2nd generation Synchron. For those that know, this case pretty much matches the 1200T cases in thickness. 2nd gen Synchrons do not have screw down crowns. They doubled up the gaskets in the crown and tube for the pressure. If I remember correctly, the US divers logo stopped being used in late 1974 or '75? Maybe this baby is from my birth year of '74?

I would love to know the years of production that correlate to the generations of cases. I always thought that 2nd gen Synchrons dated from 1972-75, and the 3rd gens went until Aubry bought them in 1978? I'd appreciate being enlightened if anyone can shed light on this.
    Omar Montaño

Auricoste Spirotechnique
    Doxa Sub Mission 31
    Tudor Submariner 94110

Aren't the third generation Synchron watches called "the triple signed Subs". I got one in great shape but I'm about to finish repairing the original bracelet. Pictures will come when everything is finished...so can be some time down the road...
    Michael
    IGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The world is my oyster and I like the taste of it!

Very cool! I'm really starting to appreciate the details of these vintage pieces. I definitely enjoyed the comparison shot.
    Al

Current:
    Doxa 1200T Sharkhunter
    Damasko DS30Y
    Longines Hydroconquest 41
    Smiths PRS-25 (40 mm)
    Accutron Silver Eagle Chrono
    Squale 1521
    Seiko 7n36

Quote Originally Posted by MTJO View Post
    Aren't the third generation Synchron watches called "the triple signed Subs". I got one in great shape but I'm about to finish repairing the original bracelet. Pictures will come when everything is finished...so can be some time down the road...
    Michael
    I had actually forgotten the "term", thanks. I had thought all of the 3rd gens were like that too. When I first saw them, all were triple signed. I see many more with just the Synchron triangle over the DOXA script. The Doc's book and website mention that these triple signed specimens are more rare. It's really interesting that after over a decade of the publication of his book you see such an amazing amount of pics online. Hard to tell what's rare in the Sub lore via 300Ts other than Divingstars. This tool watch has really come out from the shadows of obscurity!

Can't wait to see your pics! Really want to hear about the bracelet repair.
    Omar Montaño

Auricoste Spirotechnique
    Doxa Sub Mission 31
    Tudor Submariner 94110

Quote Originally Posted by perfectlykevin View Post
    I love thick cases like these! Hoping we see a return of similar models in Doxa's future :)
    Indeed! Rick's message about what's to come was intriguing. He mentioned nice case proportions and a logo to boot? I'm really curious to see how things move forward post Rick Marei.
    perfectlykevin likes this.
    Omar Montaño

Auricoste Spirotechnique
    Doxa Sub Mission 31
    Tudor Submariner 94110

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ramon View Post
    Thanks! Here's something interesting, I got the baby to run nicely. Originally, I had set the time/date and wound it up before I had taken it apart. I guess moving stuff around did the trick. I wore it today, and it ran like a champ. Not going to take chances, it's still going to get serviced. Besides, the date wheel only has 8 good legible dates on it, and that's annoying.

Here are a couple pics from earlier today.

Name:  WUS141102.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  108.5 KB

Name:  WUS185517.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  87.1 KB
    Omar Montaño

Auricoste Spirotechnique
    Doxa Sub Mission 31
    Tudor Submariner 94110

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information