My new Doxa has been an excercise in
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My new Doxa has been an excercise in

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My new Doxa has been an excercise in

Patience.First since I ordered the watch the day before Doxa went on holiday it took seven weeks for it to ship.It finally ships,I watch it go from Switzerland to France to New Jersey to Tennesse(sp?)to Nevada.The watch is schedualed for delivery before 10am.10 am comes & goes,no watch.I call Fed Ex.My route driver called in sick & they haven't got a replacement yet.Can't go pick it up because it's already on the truck.I have a dentist appointment so I leave.Two hours at the dentist.I head home,5 miles from home I have a flat.Another hour.I get home & IT'S HERE,HORAHH!Oh man it's everything I wanted & more.I'm ready to size the bracelet,I can't wait to wear it. EVERY BRACELET SCREW IS SO TIGHT I CAN'T GET EVEN ONE TO BUDGE.I don't want to scratch it so off I go to a local jeweler.He disappears for 10 mins.,comes back,sorry I can't get any of the scews loose!Off to jeweler #2,same story.NEXT.I ask him VERY politely before he disappears to PLEASE not scratch it.Sir,I size R$#@x bracelets every day,don't worry.10 mins later he comes back,The minute I see his face I know somethings wrong,not only couldn't he get any of the screws loose he puts 2 scratches on one of the links!By this time I'm ready to spit nails!The last place I go uses an industrial hair dryer & gets the bracelet sized.I feel like I just had a baby!
    Last edited by T Bone; August 24th, 2009 at 04:33.

Re: My new Doxa has been an excercise in

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble getting the watch and sizing it. Glad you are able to wear it know however it's an awesome watch. I know it is of little consolation, but that watch is meant to be worn, and as such was sure to get scratched. So enjoy that cool looking Doxa!

regards,
    Joe C.

It's advisable to file off the doxa screwdriver blade a bit so it becomes thicker and doesn't bend...then you can apply more force with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This must be the 200th post I've read about stubborn screws on bracelets (not only Doxa, but others too) causing the bracelet to be scratched. The rule of thumb is: If you can't remove a simple screw off the bracelet, then what makes you think that some fasionable guy in a suit who sells million dollar Rolexes can remove it?

The simple solution that has always worked for me is: remove the bracelet and put it in boiling water for a few minutes. Then grab it with a towel and try again with a good screwdriver. You'd be surprised how easily those stubborn screws come off.

I highly recommend getting a screwdriver base tool. It makes a world of difference in removing these Doxa lug tube and bracelet screws:

Rob

It has been my experience to use a different screwdriver than what comes with the Doxas. the stock screw-driver works fine for the 1000T, but I use a 1.4mm for just about everything else.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Those of us not in the know are likely to make a mistake because we don't know. Thing is, we don't know we don't know. I had this problem with my Milshark, broke two screwdrivers and messed up some screw heads a bit (didn't scratch it though!)

Thing is, now I know better. The answer if the screw does not break free easily is mild heat. A hair dryer or warm/hot water is the answer. And Doxa is far from the only company who sometimes use a thread locking compound on their bracelet screws. So the Rolex snob (his comment sounded snobbish to me, am I reading it wrong?) should know better. And he's not the professional he deems himself (I once cautioned a woman in a jewelery shop who was dealing with a spring bar issue for me- "Sir, I'm a gemologist" was her answer. I asked for the watch back and explained being a "gemologist" had nothing to do with watches). I strongly dislike dealing with overconfident people who brag on their "credentials" and then proceed to show you had every reason to not trust them.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by victus1 View Post
    The rule of thumb is: If you can't remove a simple screw off the bracelet, then what makes you think that some fasionable guy in a suit who sells million dollar Rolexes can remove it?

Yes, yes, and YES. Nobody is going to love your watch like you will. Besides, if it does get scratched, who would you rather have do it? You .... or a stranger. - J

Another tip that hasn't been mentioned is the use of scotch tape. I lay a piece over the side of the link whether screw or pin and then just poke the screwdriver or the pin tool through the tape. I replace the screw through the hole in the tape, or place another piece on the opposite side of the link when replacing a pin.

Works like a charm. My local watch guy uses tape since I shared the idea with him. I haven't scratched a link in ages using this method. I've also done a lot of bracelets for people at work before I retired. A tape dispenser is always part of my watch toolkit.
    Pee Dee likes this.

Omega SMP 2589.30 Chrono
    Sub 5000T Professional
    Sub 5000T Caribbean
    Ball Muhle Glashutte SAR
    Ball COSC Diver
    Ball Fireman First Generation
    IWC Aquatimer
    Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic
    Rolex Sub Date
    Rolex Milgauss
    Ocean7 LM-2