My Original 1966 Sub 300
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My Original 1966 Sub 300

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Original 1966 Sub 300

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I bought this about 7 years ago. Wondering what y'all could tell me about it in terms of just how early this one is. Serial is 6609657. It had been sitting in my watch case for a couple of years and I just decided to wear it about a month ago, so I took the BoR off and put a NATO on it because while it works just fine, the clasp is a little delicate. The watch came with the bracelet, but was missing end pieces. Nanuq was awesome enough to GIVE me correct end pieces for the bracelet. I had it serviced in '14. It keeps great time and is almost as comfortable to wear as my '67 GMT II. Afraid to take it into the water because it's damn near as old as I am. I've searched high and low on the internets and I can't seem to find a comparable one to figure out what it's worth. It's got me jonesing for a Black Lung reissue. Anyway, Hi and great forum you have here.

Name:  DOXA CLOSEUP.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  1.39 MBName:  DOXA BACK.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  1.64 MB

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: My Original 1966 Sub 300

Check out this page - if you haven't already. It's got a lot of great detail about vintage Doxa watches.

DOXA SUB MODELS

I definitely wouldn't take it into the water right now. If it hasn't been serviced in some times, I'm sure the gaskets have dried out - and the water would almost certainly find a way in.

- - - Updated - - -

Check out this page - if you haven't already. It's got a lot of great detail about vintage Doxa watches.

http://www.doxa300t.com/other.htm

I definitely wouldn't take it into the water right now. If it hasn't been serviced in some times, I'm sure the gaskets have dried out - and the water would almost certainly find a way in.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Hi,

Thanks very much for the link! I've been there several times and it's a great site. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough specific info about the earliest Subs out there. I think the '66 serial # would put it among the earliest, but I could be wrong. I'm a big fan of 50's-60's tool watches. I've got a '61 5512 Sub, a '67 1675 GMT-II and a '69 Speedmaster. I'd never take them into the water, either, sadly. :) That's why that Black Lung reissue really looked good to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Thanks very much for the link! I've been there several times and it's a great site. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough specific info about the earliest Subs out there. I think the '66 serial # would put it among the earliest, but I could be wrong. I'm a big fan of 50's-60's tool watches. I've got a '61 5512 Sub, a '67 1675 GMT-II and a '69 Speedmaster. I'd never take them into the water, either, sadly. :) That's why that Black Lung reissue really looked good to me.
    CMSgt Bo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing and props to Nanuq for hooking a Brother up.

Thanks! I've known him for a long time at another forum. Couldn't be nicer.
    CMSgt Bo and lab-guy like this.

Wow. That is in crazy good shape. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howdy. Great looking watch and I'm glad you've come to this great community. I love collecting these earlier Doxa watches and can provide some details about your watch.

First, your watch is commonly referred to as a Doxa 300 no-T. These watches all came out in 1967 and are among some of the earlier Doxa sub watches out there. Since you're interested in the 50th reissues, then you probably read that the reissues were based on these earlier / thinner cases. The nice thing about the re-issues is that the cases are so close in size that the vintage bracelets and end-links are compatible.

Overall, the watch is in pretty good shape. I'd be a bit picky about the mark on the dial around the 6 oclock and 3 oclock as well as the mis-match between the dial and the lume on the hands, but overall you have a decent bezel and a decent case.

I'm also a pretty big Doxa bracelet collector, so I'll note that your bracelet looks period correct (i assume it has a side lever). However, the end-links, while compatible, are generally seen for a later Doxa bracelet given the 7720-10 stamp and the fact that the cut outs for the BOR don't extend to the front of the end link. I'm actually trying to find end links end-links so let me know if Nanuq has any additional ones!

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Happy to help.

Hi,
    Reading the illuminating thread got me wondering about the exact year of launch/commercialization.
    Do you know if the SUB 300 was launched at Baselworld 1966 and then marketed the following year. Or was it launched and marketed in 1967?
    I guess the issue is whether the "66" at the start of the serial indicates the year – or is simply a coincidence.
    Looking forward to your insight.
    Best from Derek in Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by Gee2789 View Post
    Howdy. Great looking watch and I'm glad you've come to this great community. I love collecting these earlier Doxa watches and can provide some details about your watch.

First, your watch is commonly referred to as a Doxa 300 no-T. These watches all came out in 1967 and are among some of the earlier Doxa sub watches out there. Since you're interested in the 50th reissues, then you probably read that the reissues were based on these earlier / thinner cases. The nice thing about the re-issues is that the cases are so close in size that the vintage bracelets and end-links are compatible.

Overall, the watch is in pretty good shape. I'd be a bit picky about the mark on the dial around the 6 oclock and 3 oclock as well as the mis-match between the dial and the lume on the hands, but overall you have a decent bezel and a decent case.

I'm also a pretty big Doxa bracelet collector, so I'll note that your bracelet looks period correct (i assume it has a side lever). However, the end-links, while compatible, are generally seen for a later Doxa bracelet given the 7720-10 stamp and the fact that the cut outs for the BOR don't extend to the front of the end link. I'm actually trying to find end links end-links so let me know if Nanuq has any additional ones!

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Happy to help.

Ouch! Congratulations, but I think it's a 67-68 watch.

Banned

Thanks for sharing this site!It was quite helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information