WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New 1200T In-coming

3K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  riff raff 
#1 ·
After looking at a ton of used 1200's, I finally took the plunge and ordered a new Sharkhunter from Doxa. All my 20 mm straps will work,so I'm set there (although it will probably stay on the bracelet). Thanks for being such enablers. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm pretty pumped, a Doxa has been my grail for the past several years, I decided that I wasn't getting any younger...
I wasn't sure how long that sale price would hold.

#6 ·
Pretty swift customer service from Doxa, on a Sunday no less.
On their US page, their banner says "Free Shipping to North America". Yesterday, they charged me $29 for shipping.
Their Customer Service was of course was closed on a Sunday, so emailed them about the shipping charge.
A few minutes ago, they processed a $29 refund. Thanks Doxa!

Reactions: Londonboy
#8 ·
Good question - that took a lot of deliberation. This was a huge leap for me, from a cost perspective. I walked past a zero-turn John Deere last night at Lowes, that was only $100 more...) But, I'll take the exercise of walk-behind and enjoy the Doxa for the rest of my life, perhaps healthier = longer! So, I conclude that owning a Doxa will lengthen my life expectancy. Got to remember that one when I share with Mrs. Riff-Raff. (she doesn't care...)

Keep in mind, I've never held a Doxa wristwatch to this point! I prefer watches in the 40-42 mm range (see my current choices in my sig). So, the specs on the 1200T seemed to meet my expectations. It replaces an outgoing Helson Turtle, that was just too awkward and top heavy. (but overall size and dial size was good) I love the orange Professional, but already own an orange Squale 1521 (50 Atmos). So, I decided two orange dial watches might be too many. I determined that the black-dial Sharkhunter would offer the widest range of use for me, year round (I tend to wear the Orange Squale more in the summer). A tough decision for sure.

#10 ·
Thanks DuckaDiesel, that looks great from the computer screen! I've read comments that the dial is too small, but it sure looks perfect on a screen. The DS is definitely smaller (but the large dial overcomes the case size), so it wouldn't be an everyday wear. My order still shows as processing, that should update over the next few days. I only check the status a couple-dozen times per day...

#19 ·
It originated from Wein, Austria. Not sure on the import fees. I've ordered tobacco pipes from an Italian vendor, and typically a customs bill from FedEx is emailed to me a few weeks later. There is another thread on Doxa shipping, many of the contributors on that thread have purchased multiple pipes, they might have a more definitive answer.

#22 ·
, good news on the customs fees. Doxa owners of Maryland Unite! Unfortunately my watch is still stuck in Austria, so I probably won't see it until Monday at the earliest.

#27 ·
Fed-Ex is killing me. Well, perhaps more Customs. It was stuck in customs in Austria on Friday (the original delivery date), and delayed until Monday. It didn't clear US Customs till last night and now finally seems to be moving. Hopefully I'll have it this evening.

Reactions: ean10775
#28 ·
Well, finally, after a four day Customs created delay (in Austria, than again in the US), my 1200T finally arrived!

I'm thrilled with this model and I definitely made the right model choice:

- Case/dial size is just right and fits in with my other vintage size choices (Squale 1531 and Damasko DS30). Any larger would have been a problem. I already bought and resold a 44 mm Borealis Seafarer II and a 42 mm Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
- BOR Bracelet is impressive, and on par with the bracelet on my Longines Hydroconquest. Using the Doxa supplied tool, it was sized in under five minutes. Oddly, the tool doesn't include a piece to adjust the microadjustment holes (but it was perfect, no no movement needed). For my 7.5" wrist, I removed two links per side
- The clasp is not of the same quality as that on the Longines HC, but not a deal breaker (so consistent with other customer reviews. I also have a 20 mm Staib mesh bracelet, which would work on this watch and the clasp on that $180 bracelet is a work of art, take note Doxa!
- the finish details in the two pix below show a marked improvement over those on this model as shown in a thread here from 2011
- I love the side view thru the domed crystal
- With just enough splash of orange, I'm glad that I chose the black dial

#30 · (Edited)
Congrats and hope you continue to enjoy it!

Customs like any government run operation can be frustrating. At least you got the end result with just a time delay.

There was a thread a few years ago over on the dive watch forum about Customs agents seizing a new Seiko from an AD, thinking it was counterfeit. First, they trashed the box and packaging, and scratched the watch up in the process. Then the bureaucracy involved for the owner to get his watch back was text book for why no one should ever want the government taking over healthcare or any other private industry.

I think his options were to appear in some customs office, half the country away from where he lived, where he could present some convoluted paper work to try and get the watch, or have Customs destroy it. Once removed for inspection, that's the path an item goes on... Customs doesn't have to even try to re-package it and send it back along its way. I think he may also have owed additional duties and fees.

All the while, all Customs had to do was look up the watch on line to confirm 1. the AD was legitimate and 2. the watch and packaging - an uncommon and more expensive Seiko model diver - was 100% authentic down to the smallest detail on packaging.

To make it even worse, a poster to the thread, claiming to be involved in Customs, defended the whole thing, saying Customs agents don't need any cause or suspicion to open anything up, have no obligation to take any care of items they inspect what so ever, have no liability for damages they cause, don't have to take any action at all to establish if counterfeit or not (what ever they decide at the moment is what stands, and can only be challenged in court), and the sender and intended receiver have no reasonable recourse. It wasn't just that he defended this, it was his utter arrogance in how he stated his case.

Apart from customs agents being able to open random packages for inspection, the rest is not true, except in extreme circumstances. If this person was who he said he was (another poster on the thread vouched for him), this was a text book example of what can happen when government agencies to not screen out employees of questionable character and mental health.

#34 ·
Three weeks in, I'm loving this watch! That BOR bracelet just has its own unique feel, silky. It wears great, I wouldn't want it any larger or smaller. We're heading to Panama City Beach with the family in the morning, the 1200T will be dunked for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.