New arrival & my first DOXA! - SUB 1500T Project Aware II
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: New arrival & my first DOXA! - SUB 1500T Project Aware II

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture New arrival & my first DOXA! - SUB 1500T Project Aware II

Hi everyone,
    Excited today to get a package delivery in work. Finally my new baby has arrived! It has been somewhat of an emotional rollercoaster over the last couple of weeks waiting for this moment.
    For a long time I've wanted a dive watch (I'm a certified diver, but more often a desk-diver). I always admired the orange Doxa sub, but I never pulled the trigger, since there were dozens of other watches I liked equally. Then came the Project Aware II with its striking turquoise dial. I thought "wow, that's something special", but again, I never pulled the trigger. Jump forward to a few weeks ago, when I saw a post on this forum where someone mentioned that stock was running out. Out of curiosity, I pinged Doxa support, to find out how many were left. Imagine my excitement to hear that there was just one left in stock!

I thought, wow, 300/300, it's a sign.

So I pulled the trigger.

And I waited.

And I got a note to say they were waiting on more stock.

Wait, what??

Turns out that the "last one" message I got originally was referring to stock on hand, since the watches are made in small batches. Nobody's fault, just a misunderstanding. I still felt gutted. In my mind some of the "shine" was lost from my new watch before I'd even got it. The guys were great, and tried to give me my choice of number. I settled on 101, which seems like a good number.

In any case, today the package arrived. The second I opened it, any reservation or buyer's remorse was immediately blown away by that amazing blue dial.
    Name:  IMG_1728.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  107.5 KBName:  IMG_1729.JPG
Views: 671
Size:  138.7 KB

The first word that comes to mind is "Solid". This watch feels bombproof. There's a wonderful heft to it; a reassuring weight that immediately tells you that this is a quality piece of engineering. The finishing on the case is superb. The bezel action is so crisp, better even than Rolex Sub bezels. The blue numbers in the bezel are absolutely beautiful, and even better in person than pictures. The one thing I had never gotten from pictures before is the depth this watch has. From bezel to dial just seems further than any other watch I've seen. It's a combination of the thickness and refraction of the crystal which photographs really don't convey, but the last one here sort of comes close.

Name:  IMG_1730.JPG
Views: 675
Size:  110.6 KBName:  IMG_1732.JPG
Views: 673
Size:  106.6 KBName:  IMG_1736.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  133.5 KB

The thing that exceeded my expectation more than anything else is the bracelet. Holy cow, this thing is incredible. For anyone who laments it not being a traditional BOR style, don't even think about it. It's heavy. It's solid. It feels better than a Rolex Oyster bracelet. The finishing is exceptional for a watch at this price point, with mirror polishing and super fine brushing, and all screwed links. The clasp feels reassuringly strong. This thing isn't going to open with a bump or knock at an inopportune time. I'm also really impressed with the ratcheting wetsuit extension, which has 5 or 6 clicks to get a perfect fit. Definitely hope to give this some wetsuit time soon. Doxa kindly include a quality screwdriver/spring bar tool, but perplexingly it isn't much use on its own, since both sides of a link need a screwdriver in order to unscrew it! I would love to be wearing it right now, but I'll have to wait until tonight to remove the extra links.

Name:  IMG_1735.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  103.5 KBName:  IMG_1731.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  102.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1734.JPG
Views: 655
Size:  106.8 KBName:  IMG_1737.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  115.1 KB

Size-wise, on the wrist it does feel big. My wrists aren't the biggest out there, but the size of the dial relative to the overall dimensions does tend to fool the eye. I like to wear my watches loose down on my wrist much of the time, so I don't think this will bother me. I'll just have to do some forearm workouts to beef up a bit!
    Name:  IMG_1733.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  107.0 KB

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. It's partly a birthday present to myself, and partly an overdue reward for passing an exam I had this year. I promised myself a significant watch as a reward, and I think that's exactly what I've gotten here.
    Name:  IMG_1738.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  364.6 KB

So that's my unboxing and first impressions. I think this is the start of a Doxa love affair that could run for some time!
    I hope my pictures help some of the people out there who were on the fence, or simply wanted some more detailed pictures of this amazing timepiece. I'd love to hear your comments and feedback.
    I will hopefully do a review with better pictures at some point in the future after a bit of wrist time.

TF
    Last edited by Thinkfloyd; September 5th, 2016 at 17:04. Reason: one more pic...
    JayVeeez, igorIV, kclee and 9 others like this.

Re: New arrival & my first DOXA! - SUB 1500T Project Aware II

Congratulations on the new Doxa. It is definitely a beautiful shade of blue.
    Kevin
    Thinkfloyd likes this.

Congratulations, TF, a wonderful addition

You know that you still need to get an orange Doxa, right? If you have Doxa's but not an orange one, you haven't experienced Doxa yet .....

I hear you on the heft - it was for the longest time my heaviest watch by far. But not in a bothersome way - these watches wear really well.
    Last edited by MHe225; September 5th, 2016 at 19:19.
    Thinkfloyd likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Happy Birthday Present to you! Great choice, look really nice on your wrist!

My Doxa 1500 Project Aware II from the West Coast of CA say "Hello"

Attachment 9261650
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thinkfloyd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    Congratulations, TF, a wonderful addition

You know that you still need to get an orange Doxa, right? If you have Doxa's but not an orange one, you haven't experienced Doxa yet .....

I hear you on the heft - it was for the longest time my heaviest watch by far. But not in a bothersome way - these watches wear really well.
    Thanks! I'm already totally used to the weight and I'm finding it extremely comfortable. The strap has a lot to do with that, it balances the weight around your arm, so it's not "top heavy". I can definitely see orange in my future, the Mission31 was a close second to this one, so it's still a good contender.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetboss View Post
    Congratulations on the new Doxa. It is definitely a beautiful shade of blue.
    Kevin
    It really is. Even better in daylight. Here's a shot from today.
    Name:  IMG_1762[1].JPG
Views: 606
Size:  508.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WatchDialOrange View Post
    Happy Birthday Present to you! Great choice, look really nice on your wrist!

My Doxa 1500 Project Aware II from the West Coast of CA say "Hello"
    Thanks WDO, I'm already used to the size on my wrist, and I agree, it feels great on the wrist.
    WatchDialOrange likes this.

One thing I hadn't tested out when I posted above was the lume. I got a couple of snaps last night. I'm quite impressed. I charged it up with my cellphone's light for a couple of seconds, and the initial bloom is really bright. It kept an easily visible glow all night. In fact, it was so bright at first, that it cast a pool of blue light in front of itself on the nightstand.

Name:  IMG_1747.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  82.0 KBName:  IMG_1755.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  39.1 KB
    wellyite likes this.

That dial is a really fun color. Congrats on your Doxa!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

They certainly have a unique look about them,like it a lot! Enjoy it mate..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information