The new (Doxa) book

Thread: The new (Doxa) book

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The new (Doxa) book

Guys,

this is in answer to a few comments made on another thread.

I'm now writing another book in which I am trying to get the masters of scuba diving to tell me their stories. Stan Waterman has already contributed a superb story about what he calls his most memorable dive. Ralph Wilbanks (who discovered the Hunley) is also working on something for me. Jean Michel Cousteau and Philippe Cousteau have copies of the Doxa book and I'm hoping to get contributions from them too. Philippe still has his fathers old Doxa Sharkhunter. Man, the stories it could tell. Sam Miller who taught Clive to dive is writing a piece. Greg (he of the awesome Doxa book design and amazing underwater pics) has offered to do something. I'm hoping Mike fletcher will write a piece and I have a bunch of other people I'm going to try to press gang into it, including some of the old Calypso divers.

I want to try to get stories from the greats like Stan, Sam, Mike and others who either pioneered the sport or have interesting stories of discoveries or testing of dive kit from the early days. I was talking to an air hostess (older lady) who was telling me about how her father modified a regulator to provide feeds into makeshift full face dive masks for her and her sister when they were kids so they could go on surface dives with him. This is tremendous stuff and unfortunately many of the people who pioneered the sport are pretty old now and it would be a shame to loose the information they have.

I want to make the book something that will entertain and educate people and have photos of them and what they did. If they wore Doxas even better . For example If I could get Philippe Cousteau to talk about revisiting some of the locations that his father or grandfather dove all those years ago and are now polluted and trashed, we could at least bring some more awareness to the environment. Let's say mike talks about the Atlantic. Then I could give background on the disaster (maybe a Cussler style narative) then info about the location and dive parameters for those who would want to go dive the wreck, then Mikes story, with photos.

Every contributors story would be different. I have already written mine. Nothing special. Just my first dive which was in a murky quarry. I'm sure many of you have a story to tell. TKite is a SAT diver. His diving experiences will be unlike anything us bubblers have to tell. I'm sure people would be interested.

Rick has said Doxa would be interested in sponsoring the book not only because many of the legends in the sport wore Doxas, but also because Doxa are committed to trying to preserve the history of the people who actually invented or propagated the sport which ultimately lead to the success of the Doxa SUB. It just reinforces their position of "Doxa, the Dive Watch Company".

So here's an open invitation to any of you out there, if you have a story to tell, let me know, You don't have to be able to write like Clive Cussler. You tell me the story and I'll write it up. If you have photos even better.

Pete

Re: The new (Doxa) book

Can't wait. Pete, please keep us posted about the progress...........
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Awesome...............!!! That is too cool. jc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

pete, for those of us non-divers are you be looking for greuling desk diving sagas. if not count me out.

i did enjoy the shadow divers, and also like watching the discovery network.

good luck on the new book. this would make it 3 books for you.

Diving that is 'work' is a lot different than the glorious diving done by people like JM Cousteau, Albert Falco and others. I don't know what on earth I would write about. "I was doing a flange up at 240 ft, and saw a shark swimming by". Kind of boring I think? Wrenches and nuts and bolts and all.

I dunno. If I get on a treasure hunting job, maybe I would write something on that.
    Regards,

TKite
    Commercial Diver

Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL, 3300ft/1000m
    Zinex Trimix, 6600ft/2000m
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, 3300ft/1000m
    Tissot Seastar 1000, 1000ft/300m
    Seiko Land Monster 660ft/200m
    Seiko "pepsi", 660ft/200m
    Timex Humvee, 660ft/200m

Quote Originally Posted by TKite View Post
    Diving that is 'work' is a lot different than the glorious diving done by people like JM Cousteau, Albert Falco and others. I don't know what on earth I would write about. "I was doing a flange up at 240 ft, and saw a shark swimming by". Kind of boring I think? Wrenches and nuts and bolts and all.

I dunno. If I get on a treasure hunting job, maybe I would write something on that.
    You could write about the first time you ever went SAT. It sure is different to rec boys who go down swim around and come up with maybe a decom stop. You guys eat sleep and sh1te down there for extended periods. It has to be a whole different experience, especially the first time you do it. None of the glamour and coral reef gee whiz of little blue fish. It's bolts and flanges and claustrophobia and boredom on the decom. Tell it like it is. You give me the thoughts and I'll write it.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Peter Millar View Post
    You could write about the first time you ever went SAT. It sure is different to rec boys who go down swim around and come up with maybe a decom stop. You guys eat sleep and sh1te down there for extended periods. It has to be a whole different experience, especially the first time you do it. None of the glamour and coral reef gee whiz of little blue fish. It's bolts and flanges and claustrophobia and boredom on the decom. Tell it like it is. You give me the thoughts and I'll write it.

Pete
    Ok I will PM you with some stuff. Just let me see it when you have put it into 'good form'.
    Regards,

TKite
    Commercial Diver

Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL, 3300ft/1000m
    Zinex Trimix, 6600ft/2000m
    Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, 3300ft/1000m
    Tissot Seastar 1000, 1000ft/300m
    Seiko Land Monster 660ft/200m
    Seiko "pepsi", 660ft/200m
    Timex Humvee, 660ft/200m

Ok I will PM you with some stuff. Just let me see it when you have put it into 'good form'.
    Deal

Looking forward to "working" with you. If you have any pics that would be great. Inside the bell, habitat, on the job etc etc.

Pete

Pete what about that guy who does the free diving (I think it is called) no tanks, one big flipper, and it looked like he went to the bottom of the world. Think some was posted and it was on Discovery? Bet his tale or other free divers would be freaky. Being claustrophobic, I just saw myself halfway back up and out of air!

Anyway sounds like a neat idea for a book.

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

TKite, I think many of us here would be VERY interested in knowing/learing something about SAT diving. The technicalities and precedures you need to go through from the beginning until you step out the decom chamber in very interesting. Some pics of the working condition and chamber would be very insightful as well. How about a brief description of life inside the chamber, eating, sleeping, how you get along with the other divers while cooped inside that tiny space. Man, I could never do that!
    Breitling: Avenger Chrono, Navitimer
    Marathon: TSAR
    Rolex: GMT Master "Pepsi", Yachtmaster, GMT Master Ceramic, Submariner, Sub 5513, Sea Dweller, Explorer II, Daytona
    Seiko MarineMaster, Tunacan
    Tudor: Heritage
    Doxa: Sub 1200T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information