New to Doxa: Sub 1200T - Pro or Searambler?

View Poll Results: Which Doxa for first one that will be worn both to work and beach?

Voters
23. This poll is closed
  • Searambler

10 43.48%
  • Professional

13 56.52%
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New to Doxa: Sub 1200T - Pro or Searambler?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to Doxa: Sub 1200T - Pro or Searambler?

Okay, so I bet you Doxa forum veterans reading this may have your patience even more tried than mine was when I used to read the Omega forum on WUS a lot and it seemed like half the posts were: "Speedy or Planet Ocean?" -- with at least half of the other half being "Speedy or SMP?" and the remainder almost entirely "PO or SMP?" I know there is a search tool here but I've already read what seems to be out there on what I'd like to ask and I'd still like to hear your thoughts on:

For a first DOXA, a 1200T, Professional or Searambler?

Here's my context: I work in an office where suits are the norm. I want my watch to be fun, but not to the point where I'm even a little bit worried that the orange is "too much" for coworkers or clients. I have a great pure-play dress watch for the really big meetings, a Hamilton Intra-Matic black dial 38mm (Hamilton blew it out of the park on that vintage design and what you get compared to what you pay, I think). I also have several other Hamiltons. One of these is the X-Copter, which has renewed my appreciation for orange in a watch dial, and another is the PVD "Phantom" BelowZero which is a heck of a piece, but sort of menacing overall in its phantom-ness, leaving me wanting something brighter and more cheerful as we head into summer.

I see the Doxa as the weekend watch, the summer watch, and a watch I'm going to love. If I would never wear it to work, my current leanings are about 60% Professional, 40% Searambler (which I also think would look great outdoors in all seasons and settings, beach or snowy winter forest, etc.).

My concern is that I'll like the Doxa so much I'll want to wear it to work, but get hung up on the orange-with-a-suit issue, and then be sort of bummed out that I'm not wearing the Doxa as much as I'd like.

I know there are a lot of big-time "orange first, orange only, orange forever" people on this forum, and I respect your thoughts on this and have read them carefully.

I'd welcome perspectives from two camps:

1) People whose first Doxa was a Pro/Orange but don't wear them to work, or who do - but worry a little - and wonder if maybe the Searambler would work better. Or, for that matter, people who started off worried about orange-at-work, and then just fell in love and got comfortable with the "hey, OMG, I'm at work and I have a make-no-apologies super authentic, super unique, super fun" ORANGE watch on with my shirt, tie, and suit"....

2) People whose first Doxa was a Searambler and who do wear them to work -- and their thoughts on that - but who maybe when they're off work or at the beach or diving or on the water or otherwise enjoying summer, feel regrets that they didn't go with orange - maybe who worry off and on that their first/only Doxa should have been the same color, the "real" color that started it all.

I've seen some great pictures out on the "Information Superhighway" of Searamblers under a shirt cuff or with a suit (but more of those pictures would be great to see, too). What would be very helpful to see in addition to that are shirt cuff photos and suit/work photos of orange dials. And no, going to a black tie event with your diving friends somewhere in the Caribbean doesn't really get you off the hook with the claim that "see, I can wear orange anywhere!"

I've gone through a lot of dive watches in past years (it's not something I'm proud of, but I hope this forum is a "safe space" for that!) . I'd love to hear from people who have had (or still have) the usual suspects from Rolex, Breitling, and Omega in the dive watch space about your subjective "feelings of ownership" or "experience" or sense of fun/cool/quality about Doxa vs. those others - both points of similarity and points of difference.

Thanks for helping a newcomer to Doxa feel more confident that the first trigger getting pulled on the brand will be the right one! I really appreciate it - best, StImierKy
    Longines Heritage Diver 1967
    Longines Heritage Dive Chrono
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Many others caught and released....

Re: New to Doxa: Sub 1200T - Pro or Searambler?

I'm crazy about my Doxa 1200T Professional, StImierKy. However, I'm an old retired guy and not in a work environment. If I were in a work environment I would likely pick the Sharkhunter as is more subtle. Cheers, Bill P.

Genebe likes this.

I guess part of it would depend on what your job is, and how "professional" the folks around you expect you to look. I personally find the Orange fine to wear to the office, however I rarely wear suits now days (more business casual), though would not have any issues wearing it with a suit. I find this particular Orange dial watch has a great "conversation stater" appeal, and it does help break the ice in meetings when folks see it. If you already have a "meeting" watch, then I would just wear that one when it is important to "look the part". Not to discount the Searambler (it is a great looking watch), the silver dial doesn't make it stand out as much from all the other silver watches (except the hand color). I will say, the orange Pro gives me the look of someone confidant enough to break with convention and says I am not "one of the crowd".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I work in and out of a office and people love to comment on the Orange watch I wear. Just shows you are confident in your abilities and can wear what ever you want and still have class. I have both silver and orange Doxa's. Try putting on a orange tie sometime!
    Name:  Doxa Tie.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  151.7 KB
    gaopa and Photosergio like this.

My 1200 Pro is on my wrist every day at work, except those when I'm in a French cuff. And then only because the cuffs are too tight. I wear a suit every day, for sales calls, planning meetings, you name it. The 1200 has a beautiful, retro style that fits right in, and gets only compliments, no funny looks.

I'd wear something more formal for black tie, but short of that the Pro's a great piece.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364914938.075775.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  122.4 KB
    gaopa and WatchDialOrange like this.

I had a PVD 1500T pro, and while it was a very colorful & fun watch to wear, after a few days I found myself wanting to be less "bright" in everyday situations. I probably should have kept it, but I let it go. I'd like to have another, I think. It was a great weekend watch!

Now I have a 5000T sharkhunter & love the black. It's a much more "serious" looking piece and I can wear it with anything. However, the bug is biting me again, and I'm looking for my next daily wear watch. If I do that, I have a specific orange Doxa in mind for my "fun watch".

If I could only have one (which is what I have right now), I'd go for a more subtle color like the searambler.

Typically when I'm asked by new/prospective owners what color their first Doxa should be I say "go pro" all the way. The orange face is iconic to Doxa and it's a pretty cool color for a dive watch anyway. But for daily use in an office setting with a suit the Searambler is your better choice. Doxa made the Searambler to be their "dress" diver and it fills the role perfectly. When you see it from afar it looks like a cool vintage silver watch, but when you get close and see the bezel and orange minute hand you're reminded it's all business--a real tool watch. It's the kind of piece you can wear all the time in just about any situation.

StlmierKY.. you asked for some feedback about situations when wearing both so I'll elaborate. For me, I liked the Doxa vintage look so much I collected nearly all colors in the 750 case size so I could wear the variation that best suited the situation or mood I'm in. I see it as owning one watch really. My orange 750 is a GMT so I do wear that in business situations when I'm traveling or making a lot of calls to my overseas partners and I want to just glance at the time in Europe rather than having to do the math every time I pickup the phone. I happen to own the company so I don't have to worry about impressions, but when I'm meeting a certain type of client or business partner I go with the Searambler every time. If I'm hangin with my dive buddies.. wearing jeans or something casual maybe I'll go with the Divingstar on Iso because IMHO, it is "the" full on Doxa DIVE watch and more appropriate in the water than the boardroom. I have a PVD Military Sharkhunter which can fly below the radar and sometimes will get worn with a suit, but more often I wear it for more casual "special ops" than anything else. ;)

I would close with this: whichever way you go don't let the watch wear you, wear the watch. Go with something you can wear and not give a second thought to its appropriateness. If you're the kinda guy who is naturally bold and confident wear whatever you want and do it proudly and without reservation. If you go Pro--be a PRO and OWN it. Lastly, don't think that the Searambler is any less than the real business because it is.

Gluck and keep us posted as to your decision.

While I love them both, I would say that the Rambler is a little less common. Ten years from now, IMHO there will be more Pros out there than Ramblers. The dial is just amazing on them. The way that they patina over many years is just cool. Be a little different and get the SR. I lust after my friend's 750T SR every time he wears it diving. Awesome watch
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Love the 'Rambler, but it feels like a "second" or "third" Doxa to me, because the Sharkie or the Professional seem more like natural first choices.

The feedback and thought from you all is tremendously helpful - I really appreciate hearing from you. I'm still mulling it all over but there's not too much of a rush - still saving up and trying to do the purchase right (willpower, willpower, arrgh) and not be impetuous. Some of the photos on this thread are totally amazing - makes me smile thinking of the beach and pool and summertime - I bet that's what Doxas might do better than any other watch I can think of! I will keep the Forum updated and I do know: no pictures - it didn't happen, so when something does happen, there will be photos for sure. Keep the thoughts coming and thanks again! StImierKY
    Longines Heritage Diver 1967
    Longines Heritage Dive Chrono
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage
    Many others caught and released....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information