Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New to me 750t

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

New to me 750t

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  646.2 KB

Here's my only Doxa, just received and bought due to the superbly readable dial and the fact that I have never before seen one anywhere! The outer bezel for me is purely form over function as with my eyesight I can't read the numbers. The paint was complete until I cleaned it last night and now I notice some orange and black missing. No big deal as I fully expected the paint to disappear with use anyway. I put it straight onto an isofrane as I'm not a fan of the steel bracelet but maybe that will change. I'm glad I went with the bigger case as the small ones would be too small for me.
    It's flatter than my Tuna on the wrist, very comfortable and although I know it's there it doesn't feel as big as the Tuna even though its actually bigger. I prefer the crowns on my Tuna and Sub' which is probably due to them having coarser threads but despite Internet horror stories this one feels fine and screws down perfectly. I will be carefull when closing it up though.
    It's lost 3 secs in a constant wear 24 hrs but early days. I will keep a check for the next week.
    i've got some 22mm pins on the way as the standard ones are thinner than I'm used to and I read here that 22's will fit in for extra security.
    Overall though I'm very pleased with it and would recommend one to anybody looking for something different to Seiko and Rolex dive watches. I'd definitely buy an update of this if ever released,
    regards to all John

Re: New to me 750t

Very nice...enjoy.
    Rolex GMT Master II 16713
    Omega PO 232.30.42 - Omega Seamaster Pro 212.30 - Omega Seamaster Pro 2264.50 (favorite weekend watch)
    MK II Vantage - Debaufre Ocean 1 Classic - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT
    Others -Tag Professional - Tag Automatic - Kadloo Vintage Trophy GMT - Bunch of Seikos but can't find my diver

Just keep in mind that with some of the thicker spring bars you might have a little trouble fitting a strap in between the case and the bar. I had some seiko Fat bars on mine and had couldn't get a Zulu between the case and the bar. I do believe I could have used it to secure a rope for rock climbing........it was that secure.

Congrats on your sharky. And don't worry about the numbers.......those can be repainted with very little effort.
    Best Regards,
    Jason

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Jason,
    I meant bigger as in width. I tried the 2mm and 2.5mm bars from the Sub' and Seiko but they wouldn't rotate freely within the strap. The standard 1.8mm bars will and this is important so that the bars don't rotate in the case thereby elongating the lug holes over time. I've gone for 22mm lug width 1.8mm bars as this will give an extra 1mm outer bar sheath width. This will not only add strength but also lessen any movement side to side of the bars caused by the rubber possibly gripping the pins. I've had this happen on a rubber strap diver before.

Congrats on your new Sharkie and welcome to the club. I can see by the photos you did lose some paint. Curious, what you used to clean it? The numbers do flake off but not so easily from a cleaning. Perhaps the previous owner did a home paint job and didn't follow the correct steps to clean/scrape the etchings before applying paint (apparently a common mistake).

I mention because you might give it another try and re-apply the paint. The bezel is a sight to see when fully polished and painted.

Banned

An old toothbrush with some shower gel which is what I've used to clean my watches for years. I used a softish nail brush on my Sub' for a long time with no ill effects but now use the toothbrush!. I will repaint it at some point but for now i'm just happy to be using it.

That'll do it. The number engravings are more of an "etching" on Doxa's so we typically baby those bezels. Glad you're enjoying it all the same.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Nice catch John, and welcome to the club.

Like others have said, the repaint is easy. When you're ready, grab a bottle of Testors 1127 Orange, and another bottle of Testors Black. Apply with a toothpick to fill the numbers, let set up until tacky, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. My eyesight isn't what it used to be either, so I use a pair of cheap, decently powered, drug store reading glasses; and it comes out looking factory new.

Some people are annoyed that the paint wears off, but I sort of enjoy giving mine a touch-up when needed. It's kind of like when you change the oil and service your own vehicle, you have a greater level of appreciation, and satisfaction of ownership for that vehicle...at least I do. Crazy, I know.
    skin diver and theimitator like this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Banned

Thank to all. Many would say that it's a design flaw and perhaps it is for a watch meant for diving and using. I've always bought watches that I can use and not worry about scrapes and dings etc. The main requirement for me is that it's watertight and that I can read the time, whatever I'm doing. Up until a couple of months ago I'd never even heard of them having been a Sub' owner since '86. I bought the Tuna for it's legibility and history last year and I'm very happy with that but as soon as I saw the 750 I just knew I had to try one. I see the bezel paint as something of a trait of the Doxa Sub and as such part and parcel of ownership. I'll give it a dip in the water in Portugal this August!
    In time I will no doubt touch the paint up so thanks for the numbers, regards john
    Last edited by nobbylon; June 27th, 2013 at 17:37.
    skin diver likes this.

You guys have the right attitude to really enjoy your Doxa's to the fullest. The Sub's have always been a diver's watch, designed to get used. They are one of the few watches that can look good the more they get knocked around... say, shipwreck dives or ladders getting back into damn the boat!

I wouldn't wish my wabi-aversion on anyone by the way...it's a curse! I'm definitely one of those guys who likes the paint to stay on, and takes great lengths to keep my Subs looking scratch free and new. I have another diver on the roster for that duty.

Ty, what about a tungsten bezel to add to your poll about a possible classic DOXA next year!!
    Last edited by skin diver; June 27th, 2013 at 19:43.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information