New Member of the Club
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New Member of the Club

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Inactive

New Member of the Club

Just got my first Doxa; a mint (really mint, the original sticker is still on the back) Sub600t Divingstar from around 1980 (the end of the Aubrey Period). It was on the forums for a while, and eventually I decided to pull the trigger in time for a trip to Hawaii. Seller was great. Very pleased with the watch, but the question is whether I dare wear this mint 30+ year old watch to dive with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: New Member of the Club

Congratulations! Welcome to the Doxa family. Your watch is a classic beauty. I would wear it and enjoy it, but I would not dive in it.

However, should you decide to dive with it, I would suggest getting it serviced and have the seals all checked/replaced. You really don't want any water in that classic.

Welcome! That's a handsome and unique Doxa. My local watch repair guy has a pressure testing device and it only takes a minute to check a watch. If you can locate a similar watch repair near you, have it tested. If it passes, then dive with it. If not, see how much they would charge to make it pass, then dive with it. You may not wish to dive with it after your trip, but if it was me, I'd really want to dive with it at least once. It will stay in perfect shape and you will have enjoyed wearing it while actually doing what it was designed for. But I wouldn't wear it all the time, it's too unique and valuable.
    DaveandStu likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

thanks

Thanks for the input. For sure a pressure test is required before even considering diving with it, but even if it passes with flying colors, I'm still a bit nervous about it. It's one thing to wear your vintage pieces, but a whole other level of crazy to go diving with them.

Re: thanks

That is a great looking watch! I've always wanted one. On a note about vintage, I have a couple of vintage watches I want to dive with and hope to have them serviced properly someday. That Doxa was born to dive!

Congrats on your new Doxa!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

I'm probably the biggest advocate around here for putting your watches to good use, but not when it comes to vintage...especially when it comes to a piece as mint, original, and pristine as this. These are rare, and even rarer in this condition. It can only be in this condition once, and it can be appreciated in other ways other than wearing it and reducing it to a level of condition that the majority of others are in. Wear it occasionally if you like, but buy a new one to beat and dive.
    Ninerzulu and Genebe like this.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

That's a very cool case, it would be nice if they can reissue it, a pity for the Seikozed dial.

I need to get more info regarding these Doxas...perhaps 2016 is the right year to get a diver which costs more than $100.

Congrats on the "new" Doxa - quite the find!

I've thought about your dive-or-not-dive question for a bit since it was posted, and I keep coming back to the same answer: if it were mine, no.

Pressure test it, renew the o-rings (if they're available), but just know that no matter what, if you take scuba diving, well…

Diving is simply a series of underwater problem-solving events that you eventually surface from. Sooner or later, even pool diving, it's gonna get dinged. Get a beater, new or old, dive carefree with that one and be focused on your dive. Keep the vintage "Mercedes Gull Wing" for surface activities like nice dinner dates and cool concours life events. That way, there's no regrets!

I know - way too safe for many.

My 2 psi...
    WatchDialOrange likes this.

Inactive

Again, thanks for all the input. I have to agree with subkrawler and orangeface on this one. Old, mint, and rare is hard to come by. I will wear it, and enjoy it, but will care for it. Owning vintage comes with a certain responsibility to preserve special pieces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information