new member with an old watch!

Thread: new member with an old watch!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

new member with an old watch!

i wish i could have gotten some better pictures but i don't really a good camera so this will have to do.

my grandfather recently gave me his all orig. Doxa sub300T when he heard i started collecting watches. even has the "rice" band. i was wondering if anyone knows the numbering scheme for the serials so i can figure out the exact year it was made? i know when the 300t was manufactured but i was hoping to get a specific year down. anyways ill get some better pictures eventually and share them
    Last edited by teeks; November 5th, 2007 at 17:53.

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: new member with an old watch!

Welcome to the forum. That's a great gift you got there! As to the year, I'm sure it can be narrowed to a slim range at least. What would help are more pictures of the watch. This will allow the experts to see details which went with each sublte change in the watch, the dial (we see there is no USD logo, that is a big hint), the case thickness (bet it's a nice thick one!), the case back, crown, etc. All these can be combined to tell the era of the watch (company ownership/affilliation changed during production, and there are some nuances related to this).

Besides, we just love pictures of Doxa SUB's, old and new!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

well untill i can get a better camera up and running i can at least answer a few questions you raised the caseback says "by synchron" underneath a sort of triangle looking logo, the back of the band has the same setup. the crown has the same triangular symbol but with no text. and as you guessed the case is substantially thick! the caseback is acutally raised off the body about 4-5mm i would guess dunno if any of this helps but ill keep trying to get some better pictures

just remembered, my grandfather said he bought it in england (would also explain the lack of the USD logo)
    Last edited by teeks; November 5th, 2007 at 18:45.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

More Pics Please,more Pics Please,more Pics Please,more Pics Please,

Sorry, I haven't had my medicine yet.

T Bone is right, WE LOVE PICS OF VINTAGE DOXA SUBS
    Best Regards,
    Jason

ask and ye shall recieve!
    again, not great quality, and disregard the date i just took them today. ill get some high quality ones eventually.

Very nice looking watch!! Plus, you have the sentimental factor of getting it from your Grandfather. You might consider getting the movement serviced if it hasn't been done in a while. Otherwise, wear it in good health!!!
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Teeks,
    Welcome to the forum. You can fimnd a treasure trove of information about Doxas here.

You mentioned that you were trying to "Age" your watch? Well, here is the good news and the bad news. First the good news. You have a great example of a Synchron Era Doxa. they were produced from 1968 to 1978. after 78 the Doxa brand was sold to Aubrey.
    The bad news. Doxa watches were not serialized wuith individual numbers, so it is impossible to use serial numbers to date a watch such as you could with a Rolex Submariner. However, their are some clues. If your grandfathers watch was bought in the USA, it would have been bought through a dive shop selling US Divers equipment. Through 1976 (according to an advertisement in the Doxa book, Dr. Peter Millars definitive book on the Doxa Sub), Sub300T Professionals had the US Divers Aqualung logo on the watch dial. This is speculation on my part, because I don't have a definite timeline, but since your grandfather's watch doesn't have the US Divers Logo, and if it was purchased here in the USA, I would venture that it is a late Synchron, probably 1977-78. This as I said is all speculation, as some non-logoed 300T's may have been brought to the USA before the US Divers contract ran out.

Take Jason's advice and have the watch looked at by a good watchmaker. at the least have the movement stripped, cleaned and oiled. If you want it fully restored, their are some folks who do and outstanding job of movement work, reluming the hands and dial as well as polishing the case and crystal.

Having your grandfather's watch is really significant. wear it with pride, it's a good one.

Arthur
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional US Divers - Orthos 300 Commander - H2O Bronze Diver
    Others-- IWC Calatrava - Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Ulysses Nardin +/- GMT
    Apple Watch 5

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

He said his grandfather bought the watch in England. That being the case, does it mean it could be earlier? (Weren't the early Synchron's sold in Europe still outfitted with the USD/Aqualung logo?).
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    ..........................If you want it fully restored, their are some folks who do and outstanding job of movement work, reluming the hands and dial as well as polishing the case and crystal.
    I have become somewhat of a minimalist and I would have very little done to that watch. The Dial looks superb. I might consider having the inner bezel numbers repainted. Honestly, I think that would be about it. I would have the movement serviced in the way that Arthur has described. It seems that the vintage Doxas that bring the highest prices (not that you would ever part with that one) are in the unrestored condition.

Just my 2c

BTW, greetings from your watches' synchron cousins........

Best Regards,
    Jason

Nice watch.I agree with the rest of the guys,dont really have to do much to this watch.The dial looks beautiful.I would send it to Jack at iww or another watch restorer and have it looked at.I know the rubber seals most likely look like a melted,tar like mush.The movement might be running good but those seals need to be replaced.good luck with it---Joe
    --Doxa 300t silver Conquistador He Valve--
    Doxa silver Conquistador (no He valve)-
    -Doxa 300t Reissue Divingstar(seahunter caseback)--
    Doxa 300t Reissue Sharkhunter

Doxa SUB600 T-Graph Pro Reissue (2005)
    Doxa 300t sharkhunter--
    Aqualung U.S.Divers Sharkhunter (Quartz)
    Panerai Pam86-- Panerai Pam199 Regatta --Panera Pam217 Destro --Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Sapphire caseback---Omega Seamaster PreBond-
    2002 Marathon Sar

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information