New vs old Doxa's

Thread: New vs old Doxa's

New vs old Doxa's

I own a vintage 300t and am hoping to purchase my watchmakers discovery of a pristine T-graph. I much prefer the vintage Doxa's and if I wanted to dive (which I haven't for 5 years) I have an IWC Aquatimer 3536 2000m that I expect will do the job as well as or better than any of the modern Doxa's - barring GMT or Chrono functions.

So how do I justify purchasing a new Doxa?

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Re: New vs old Doxa's

Quote Originally Posted by mambo View Post
    I own a vintage 300t and am hoping to purchase my watchmakers discovery of a pristine T-graph. I much prefer the vintage Doxa's and if I wanted to dive (which I haven't for 5 years) I have an IWC Aquatimer 3536 2000m that I expect will do the job as well as or better than any of the modern Doxa's - barring GMT or Chrono functions.

So how do I justify purchasing a new Doxa?
    Modern DOXAs are excellent real-world divers. To me, the full 60-minute bezel is far more useful than the 3536's 15-minute bezel. I also don't like the fact that you have to push down the IWC bezel to turn it.

Even if you're not going to dive a new DOXA, they're still good daily beaters. If it were me, I'd be a bit nervous beating around a vintage one.

Justify it by telling yourself....by buying a modern DOXA, you are further preserving your vintage ones, and if you choose to dive it, it's a better choice than the IWC.

Haven't dove in 5 years huh? Man that's waaaay too long. Here's the 750T Searambler in action, just in case you need some motivation.

"The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Hi Mambo

Now a weee while ago I would have said that you cannot possibly justify a new Doxa as you could spend that money on a nice vintage Sub.

Recently though I have been looking at Liz's (laughinggul) fantastic pictures of her 300t re-issue and it has now convinced me that I just have to get one of these So a little thinning down of the vintage collection and a little transition into the modern sub for me.

Now if its going to be newish I would have to go with one of the searamblers as I think they look amazing and are a little underapreciated. Thanks for that picture Subkrawler, even with a green hue it still looks great.

Cheers

Simon
    Too many watches

Ohhhh and a Doxa Sub Conquistador !!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Subkrawler, that Searambler looks amazing in its natural habitat. I'm so lucky to have one as well, but haven't dove with it yet.
    Congrats and to Mambo>>the modern Doxa's are dive watches first, and desk divers second. They are absolutely meant for professional diving.
    But if you want to trade me your possible vintage T-Graph for one of my modern Doxa's I would be glad to oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Modern DOXAs are excellent real-world divers. To me, the full 60-minute bezel is far more useful than the 3536's 15-minute bezel. I also don't like the fact that you have to push down the IWC bezel to turn it.

Even if you're not going to dive a new DOXA, they're still good daily beaters. If it were me, I'd be a bit nervous beating around a vintage one.

Justify it by telling yourself....by buying a modern DOXA, you are further preserving your vintage ones, and if you choose to dive it, it's a better choice than the IWC.

Haven't dove in 5 years huh? Man that's waaaay too long. Here's the 750T Searambler in action, just in case you need some motivation.
    With some nice new seals winging their way over to me from the Doxa vintage customer service department and my watchmakers nice new hi tech watch pressure tester, I might be able to use the old boy to dive.

Well I learned to dive on my honeymoon in the Maldives 5 years ago and loved every minute of it. I live on the Mediterranean sea and somehow the prospect of diving here compared to the Maldives doesn't appeal so much

Quote Originally Posted by mambo View Post
    With some nice new seals winging their way over to me from the Doxa vintage customer service department and my watchmakers nice new hi tech watch pressure tester, I might be able to use the old boy to dive.

Well I learned to dive on my honeymoon in the Maldives 5 years ago and loved every minute of it. I live on the Mediterranean sea and somehow the prospect of diving here compared to the Maldives doesn't appeal so much
    If I had the Med. right outside my back door, I couldn't imagine not taking advantage of it. While it may not be the Maldives, from what I know about the Med., it's nothing to scoff at. It's gotta be a million times better than the Northern Gulf of Mexico where I dive mostly. Notice how pea-green the water was back in April? It's that way a lot around here.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Hi,

I started my collection in 2005 with a new 750T and continued with the vintages, the last was a preowned 600T last year. Of course the newer ones are nearly perfect watches but I like my old boys more because of their history. For me they are the real Doxas. The look and the feeling of wearing a 35 year old divewatch couldn’t be beaten by any new one. With new seals and a pressure check they can be used for swimming and diving like a new one. Last year my Synchron 300T (see pic) was down on 35m/100ft in the RedSea/Egypt without problems. This is what they were concepted for, not for storing in a box.

Cheers
    Holger

PS: the Maldives are perfect for diving snorkeling and relaxing. I had been there for five times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best Regards
    Holger
    ************************************************** ********************************************

ROLEX: Submariner 14060M ('03), Submariner 16610 ('91), Submariner 16800 ('85), Submariner 5513 ('79), Submariner 5513 ('64)
    OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional Mark IV ('73) Speedmaster Professional 125 ('73)
    DOXA: Sub 750T ('05), Sub 600T ('03), Sub 300T ('80), Sub 300T ('74), Sub 200 T.Graph ('70), Sub 300 noT ('67), Skindiver ('60)

It's easy enough to justify the purchase as an "investment" but we both know it's going to be used and not a safe queen.

I can't see anything at all wrong with expanding your Doxa collection to include more varied examples. While I wouldn't dive with a chrono, it's good to have the watch on several levels: you want it, you're preserving it as an important piece of history (and keeping it from being trashed by someone who doesn't "get" vintage watches) and you have an appreciation for what Doxa represents from those eras.

Can you easily afford it and not care about the price? Honestly?

If yes, go for it. If not, think about other obligations that need met. If they are trivial in comparison to what it would mean to miss this rare opportunity, go for it. If they are not trivial, don't buy it... you'll build resentment toward the watch instead of enjoyment.

My humble $.02

Quote Originally Posted by subpro300 View Post
    Hi,

I started my collection in 2005 with a new 750T and continued with the vintages, the last was a preowned 600T last year. Of course the newer ones are nearly perfect watches but I like my old boys more because of their history. For me they are the real Doxas. The look and the feeling of wearing a 35 year old divewatch couldn’t be beaten by any new one. With new seals and a pressure check they can be used for swimming and diving like a new one. Last year my Synchron 300T (see pic) was down on 35m/100ft in the RedSea/Egypt without problems. This is what they were concepted for, not for storing in a box.

Cheers
    Holger

PS: the Maldives are perfect for diving snorkeling and relaxing. I had been there for five times.
    That's cool that you were able to dive it in the Red, and you're right....that's what they were meant to do. My reservation comes from the possibility of losing it. To me, if a vintage piece is lost, you lost a little bit of dive watch history. If you lose a new one, you call DOXA or hit the sales forum and you're back in business. Sure you could put it on a NATO, but that just wouldn't be the same.

Banned

If you had to "justify" all of your watch purchases, you would probably only own one $50 Casio G-Shock.

I say, "If you want it, then buy it." If you don't want it any more, then sell it.

Thread Information