New watch in the house

Thread: New watch in the house

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New watch in the house

Got me a new watch today. I'd been wanting a new daily wear for a while and wanted to go a bit up market. I have a Sea-Dweller but even though it is 8 years old it is like new and I'm always scared of putting the first "suicidal" score or bash on it. You all know what that feels like So I decided that it was time to sell of a few watches I don't wear and only bought for comparison reviews and get one watch that I would wear. I toyed with a Submariner 2 tone blue dial and even went as far as to buy one, but it was in not as described by the seller condition so I punted it back. Kinda broke the spell on wanting one.

About a month ago I was on a flight to Boston and noticed the watch the chap sitting beside me was wearing. It was instantly recognizable to those who knew what it was but not flashy and also it was functional in a way ordinary watches aren't especially to me who travels so much. It was a Rolex GMT Master II. I knew that was my watch.

Rolex stopped making that model but I knew I wanted one 6 - 8 years old. It would have the holes in the lugs, which I like (and ment it is less likely to be a fake). It would probably have a faded bezel, which I wanted and it would have already had that first scratch or ding. I also wanted box and papers and it had to be at the right price.

I spent a few weeks looking and researching. The darn 800Ti came out and nearly through me off the rails but I resisted). Ultimately I took a chance on an ebay listing and whoooo what a winner. It had the usual normal wear signs which were easily removed with a good cleaning and rebrushing of the bracelet and polishing of the case sides. Took me all of 20 minutes to rejuvenate it. The bezel is faded to perfection and she is running like a train. She also came with the SEL bracelet which was a bonus and best of all I think I got a pretty good deal on it.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the Rolex GMT 16710 from 2002.

The really nice thing is that it actually feels like it has been my watch for years. No mollycoddling nor cotton wool with this baby. Also it is a fantastically comfortable watch to wear. Right up there with the Omega SMP because it is wide and flat and just hugs the wrist.

I took the photo of it with the Doxa GMT because they are the same but different in many ways and I feel a comparison review coming up

OK back to fondling it for a while

Pete

Re: New watch in the house

Very nice Pete ... I think it will look very good on your wrist ... so are you going to get a green dial for her???

I think for me I would have to go with the Submariner 2 tone blue dial but hell I don't have the money for that ...

Wrist shot Pete .... you can do it!!! Congrats again!!!

John

Here ya go John. Quick and dirty. Sun has gone down and I need to set up better lighting

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

I like Pepsi .

Good on ya' Doc. I've always liked the GMT Master series. Some 20 odd years ago (before I knew beans about watches) I went to work for a guy who had one in two tone. Eventually I asked him about it (I'd noticed it was a Rolex, that was about it). I asked him what model it was. He informed me it was a "Government Master". Heh ! Puzzled by such a name, I decided to find out more about Rolex (I'd always thought I'd like a "nice" watch).

Getting a brochure, I discovered the GMT Master, with the extra hand for 24 hour time. Being a short wave and scanner listener at the time, I was quite familiar with Greenwich Mean Time (this was before UTC I think). It was my pleasure to let the guy know he'd been mis quoting the name of his watch for years, and what exactly the 24 hour hand was basically intended for (I know his wasn't a fake, as he referred me to the dealer, an AD that actually discounted). But these were still (I felt anyway) out of my reach.

BTW, when did the II model replace the original, and what were the main differences? I'm not sure which one he had.

Either way, great pick up you've got yourself there, enjoy it and wear it in good health!
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Very nice Doc. Wear it with pride.
    Thanks Nick

Thanks Guys.

T. The best site to check all things Rolex GMT is this

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/index.html

With the GMT master II the movement changed which....

"With the new caliber 3085 the 24-hour hand became Independently adjustable. The seconds hand only stopped when the crown was pulled all the way out -> accurate time could be kept while setting the watch."

Pete

VERY nice Doc, I always liked the pepsi Rollie...

I just got myself a Sea-dweller! and I will be looking for the blue dial Sub in the future...

Current Rotation:
    Rolex Submariner "K" Serial
    Rolex SeaDweller
    The Beast - Casio GPW1000-4AJF

I just read today.........

"Every WIS should have at least 1 Rolex in their collection"

I have to agree. If you research the Rolex history at all, it is quite evident just how rich it is. Superb diving history as well as the other models like the GMT for Pan-Am pilots, Milgauss for highly magnetic areas, etc. They were on the cutting-edge with these applications.

The one issue that I have with Rolex is that they are moving away from the tool/diving applications and are moving towards mainstream/jewelery type watches. Their watches are becoming less and less useful for DIVING (JMHO) I hope that Doxa always keeps at least a couple models that are reasonably priced and MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR DIVING So far, Doxa has done rather well with this vision:thanks

Pete, that is a fine watch that you have for yourself. Congrats, and may it fit right in with the rest of your collection
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Kev

Nothing wrong with Rolex. . .

Congrats on the new pick up Pete!!!

Kev.

Must say that a Rolex has been on my wrist since the late 60s when I first bought a ND Sub at the Navy BX in Naples, Italy.

In 1984 I bought a GMT Pepsi onboard ship and wore it as my only timepiece for 18 years, one of those being 12 months at the South Pole in 87-88.

Next came a TT Blue Sub and then in 07 a GMT Master II C. Last month a LV Sub was added.

BUT, I could not resist the 800Ti Pro, it should be here Friday.
    USA/USN Retired
    PADI MSDT and IDC Staff Instr

Doxa 1200T NUMA TQ #7 of 50

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information