Note on posting replies

Thread: Note on posting replies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DOXA forum moderator

Note on posting replies

Dear members, we have been using the forum to communicate with members for 5 years. We found out that the only way, our replies can be noticed and read by everyone, is to post them directly into the question by editing the post. in the early years, we used the standard quote and reply buttons, this has unfortunately lead to numerous misunderstandings and to questions being asked over and over again.

DOXA uses the edit option for the highest visibility of the post, although we think it is aesthetically not the best method of posting.

Merry Christmas everyone
    Rick
    Last edited by DOXA S.A.; December 22nd, 2007 at 00:29.

Re: Note on posting replies

I personally like when an official reply is made within the original post, gives a pretty damn clear response to that exact point. And the blue font to make it even more obvious is good too.

D.

Maybe I'm missing something here but surely the whole point of having a QUOTE REPLY button is that you can make a new reply at the bottom of the thread and incorporate the original posters question............

It would make far more sense to do this so the reply is the next message instead of getting lost half way up the thread......

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DOXA S.A. View Post
    Dear members, we have been using the forum to communicate with members for 5 years. We found out that the only way, our replies can be noticed and read by everyone, is to post them directly into the question by editing the post. in the early years, we used the standard quote and reply buttons, this has unfortunately lead to numerous misunderstandings and to questions being asked over and over again.

DOXA uses the edit option for the highest visibility of the post, although we think it is aesthetically not the best method of posting.

Merry Christmas everyone
    Rick

See what I mean...........

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Peter Millar View Post
    See what I mean...........

Pete
    Merry Christmas Pete ... Point well made.
    John M.

Either way, I will continue to repost Doxa replies at the bottom of the thread. This will at least alert members that they need to re-explore the thread above
    Best Regards,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
    Either way, I will continue to repost Doxa replies at the bottom of the thread. This will at least alert members that they need to re-explore the thread above
    Thanks Jason!!!!

Merry Christmas to you my friend!!!
    John M.

Thanks Jason. That makes more sense to me as I mostly click the "last post" button which would skip an edited previous post leaving others to wonder if it was answered.

Either way it looks like we are covered.

DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DOXA S.A. View Post

Merry Christmas everyone
    Rick
    Rick, thanks for addressing this issue. My main concern with "reply by edit" is that it doesn't register the reply as a new post. The way myself, and many others us this forum, is that once the initial threads in a post are read, we don't go through the entire thread again. We use the "go to first new post" button. That's the little orange button with an arrow on it. It appears beside the thread title, once a new post is made. By using the forum this way, "reply by edit" responses are never seen.

You stated above that in times past you have used the "quote reply" button, which lead to numerous misunderstandings and repeated questions. I could understand if you just used the "reply" button, but not the "quote reply".

You'll notice in this post I have used the "quote reply" button. Your post that I'm replying to, appears in the blue box. There is no question as to whose post it is that I'm replying to. I don't see how using this method would cause misunderstandings, as it accomplishes the same thing as "reply by edit". It will also improve the aesthetic of your reply because you don't have to use the bold text and colored font, to differentiate your reply from the original post. Then again, you still can if you want.

*********************SEE WHAT I MEAN?********************

"The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Quote Originally Posted by Doxa Dan View Post
    Thanks Jason. That makes more sense to me as I mostly click the "last post" button which would skip an edited previous post leaving others to wonder if it was answered.

Either way it looks like we are covered.
    Jason has taken it upon himself to do the extra work, to see that nothing is missed (:thanks!!). Rick, while I understand your logic and have no trouble with the aesthetics of the reply being edited into the post, what you may not realize is that the response may in fact be missed by those of us who use the button opening the thread only at unread posts. Further, if there are no new posts since the member has opened the thread, it won't even "light up" as a new thread.

This is in fact why I missed your request that I start a poll for the Super Sub Sharkhunter.

Rick, happy holidays, and enjoy your upcoming time off, you've certainly earned it!

In the end, with Jason (or any of us who notice the edited response actually could post a similar notice) placing a simple note at the end of the thread stating something like "Doxa reply added above", that should ensure not much is missed. Perhaps Doxa personnel could do this once they've edited in their response? Either way, the important thing is to ensure the response is in fact seen.

Thanks again Jason, for taking on the added responsibility.
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information