Off topic

Thread: Off topic

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    21

    Off topic

    Since we have so many divers here was just curious if anyone had any experience with the Ocean Reed Neptune II full face mask and how people feel about the full face mask in general. I am a regular recreational diver living in Bermuda and have been thinking about switching to one.

  2. #2
    Member THOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    310

    Re: Off topic

    No, but I can speak for the HydroOptix mask, they really have something with that design! I'll never go back to a flat design again. You can see so much more, without distortion, and the size differential is also minimized. The only down side is that you need to be myopic to enjoy it. If you're not then you need contact lenses to make you myopic.

    No, I don't own stock in the company.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    149

    Confused HydroOptix Mask - Do you actually

    Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    No, but I can speak for the HydroOptix mask, they really have something with that design! I'll never go back to a flat design again. You can see so much more, without distortion, and the size differential is also minimized. The only down side is that you need to be myopic to enjoy it. If you're not then you need contact lenses to make you myopic.

    No, I don't own stock in the company.
    Thor,
    If a diver has 20/20 vision, the diver actually has to use contacts to make themselves nearsighted?
    - Dawg182

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Moderator Jason71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    14,281

    Re: HydroOptix Mask - Do you actually

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg182 View Post
    Thor,
    If a diver has 20/20 vision, the diver actually has to use contacts to make themselves nearsighted?
    - Dawg182
    This is correct. I have thought about getting one of these masks, but this has always been a deterrent.
    Best Regards,
    Jason





  6. #5
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,726

    Re: Off topic

    Quote Originally Posted by majog View Post
    Since we have so many divers here was just curious if anyone had any experience with the Ocean Reed Neptune II full face mask and how people feel about the full face mask in general. I am a regular recreational diver living in Bermuda and have been thinking about switching to one.
    Majog,

    I don't have any direct experience with the Ocean Reef, but I do with the Interspiro AGA and the Kirby Morgan EXO-26. While FFMs(Full Face Masks) definitely have their place, I find them better suited for commercial applications rather than recreational. Their usefulness is needed when a diver either needs to have voice communication with surface support or another diver; or to isolate themselves from waterborne contaminants.

    In a recreational setting, they seem to introduce more problems than anything else. The biggest problem can occur if the FFM diver has an out-of-air emergency. Whether the FFM diver carries an independent air source or relies on the availability of another diver, the FFM diver has to remove the entire mask in order to receive air. At that time the diver has no mask, so the diver's ability to see becomes a problem. An out-of-air diver, with no mask, groping around looking for a backup regulator is a recipe for a panic stricken disaster.

    Now there is the Kirby Morgan M-48, with a detachable regulator pod. It was developed to remedy the entire mask removal problems of other masks. You still have to unlatch the pod to receive another regulator. I know if I'm out of air, and need to receive a back-up, I don't want to have to unlatch anything. I want to be able to take a fresh reg, pop it in to my mouth and keep on trucking.

    If I were you, I'd just stick with a conventional second stage and mask. Recreational diving should be about fun and relaxation. The less task loading with unnecessary gadgets, the better.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

  7. #6
    Member Frogman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    364

    Re: Off topic

    Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post
    Majog,

    I don't have any direct experience with the Ocean Reef, but I do with the Interspiro AGA and the Kirby Morgan EXO-26. While FFMs(Full Face Masks) definitely have their place, I find them better suited for commercial applications rather than recreational. Their usefulness is needed when a diver either needs to have voice communication with surface support or another diver; or to isolate themselves from waterborne contaminants.

    In a recreational setting, they seem to introduce more problems than anything else. The biggest problem can occur if the FFM diver has an out-of-air emergency. Whether the FFM diver carries an independent air source or relies on the availability of another diver, the FFM diver has to remove the entire mask in order to receive air. At that time the diver has no mask, so the diver's ability to see becomes a problem. An out-of-air diver, with no mask, groping around looking for a backup regulator is a recipe for a panic stricken disaster.

    Now there is the Kirby Morgan M-48, with a detachable regulator pod. It was developed to remedy the entire mask removal problems of other masks. You still have to unlatch the pod to receive another regulator. I know if I'm out of air, and need to receive a back-up, I don't want to have to unlatch anything. I want to be able to take a fresh reg, pop it in to my mouth and keep on trucking.

    If I were you, I'd just stick with a conventional second stage and mask. Recreational diving should be about fun and relaxation. The less task loading with unnecessary gadgets, the better.
    Well said Ty. When diving, I follow the KISS principle. Keep it simple, stupid. Worked for me so far and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

    Cheers,

    Avi


    "Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •