OK, let's just say......

Thread: OK, let's just say......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DOXA Forum Moderator subkrawler's Avatar

OK, let's just say......

With all the new watches that have been released recently, and there being varying opinions as to their design, it started me thinking. What if DOXA developed a custom center where the DOXAholic could essentially build their own watch?

Basically you'd have the option to choose case, bezel and bracelet finishes(polished, brushed, satin or PVD). Switch up dial and hand colors and request colors of hands that aren't currently in production but that have been in the past. For example an orange minute hand on a Sub1000T.

Things that don't currently exist or that haven't been previously created by DOXA are off limits. So no custom printed dials or dial colors, no deployment clasps for rubber straps, no tritium gas tubes, etc.

So what would you choose?

Myself, I'd start with a 750T w/ a fully brushed case and a PVD bezel. I'd have installed a Sharkhunter dial w/ a black hour hand, white minute hand, and orange seconds hand. I'd keep the bracelet stock, except I'd request that the bracelet sides be brushed. Maybe not the prettiest, but this would be the ultimate underwater time keeping tool.

I think it would also be cool to see a 750T COSC Divingstar w/ an orange minute hand and a fully brushed 750T Searambler w/ all black hands and all black bezel paint. It might also look cool w/ a PVD bezel and all bezel numbers painted white.

Alright, that's how I'd play the game but let's see what you guys can come up with.

************************************************** ******************************
    Reply by DOXA
    ************************************************** ******************************

Hi Subkrawler, in all the past years, that would have been something, I wish I could have accomplished for you. BUT unfortunately, DOXA is not a custom made watch company and looks like it will never be. DOXA is not organized or built to accomodate this business model. This is the decision of the owners.

BUT, DOXA WILL CONTINUE TO LISTEN TO ITS LOYAL CUSTOMERS, AND HISTORY WILL SOON BE REPEATING ITSELF AND ANOTHER CUSTOMER SUCCESS STORY LIKE THAT OF THE SUB5000T WILL SOON BECOME TRUE AGAIN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINOUS SUPPORT

Rick
    Last edited by DOXA S.A.; November 26th, 2007 at 23:12.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Re: OK, let's just say......

Well, that option would probably cause me to buy another Doxa. I'd like a 1000T Sharkhunter with an orange minute hand.

I just can't decide if my 750T Sharkie is too big for my 6.5-inch wrist. It sits nice, but sometimes I look at it and think it's too big for me. Then other times I think it looks fine. Somebody here has a Sharkie 750 and 6.5-inch wrists and posted a wrist shot - that looked good to me too. Flip...flop.
    " Don't trust anyone who says they're too good for an SKX007 and claims to be a WIS" - A Pine Tree

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Seiko SRP777, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007, Garmin Fenix 5, Suunto Core and countless G-Shocks

Smile Re: OK, let's just say......

Quote Originally Posted by Doug507 View Post
    Well, that option would probably cause me to buy another Doxa. I'd like a 1000T Sharkhunter with an orange minute hand.

I just can't decide if my 750T Sharkie is too big for my 6.5-inch wrist. It sits nice, but sometimes I look at it and think it's too big for me. Then other times I think it looks fine. Somebody here has a Sharkie 750 and 6.5-inch wrists and posted a wrist shot - that looked good to me too. Flip...flop.
    Doug,

I also have a 6.5" wrist and have just ordered a 750T Sharkhunter yesterday. Will post a wrist shot as soon as I get it. (Also have a Seiko Orange Monster on the way!)

What about your own wrist shot so that I know what I'm expecting?
    Last edited by Fred Lee; November 26th, 2007 at 21:42.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think that's a fascinating idea - you just need to purchase the necessary watches and then swap out the parts.

That might get expensive, but think of the endless combinations you might develop... you just need a "few" tools. I understand the bezel exchange would be the most challenging part, but not for the truly industrious.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford

Reply by DOXA

Hi Subkrawler, in all the past years, that would have been something, I wish I could have accomplished for you. BUT unfortunately, DOXA is not a custom made watch company and looks like it will never be. DOXA is not organized or built to accomodate this business model. This is the decision of the owners.

BUT, DOXA WILL CONTINUE TO LISTEN TO ITS LOYAL CUSTOMERS, AND HISTORY WILL SOON BE REPEATING ITSELF AND ANOTHER CUSTOMER SUCCESS STORY LIKE THAT OF THE SUB5000T WILL SOON BECOME TRUE AGAIN. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINOUS SUPPORT

Rick
    Rick,

Thanks for replying to this thread. I know that DOXA isn't into the custom watch game, as this has been discussed by you guys before. I started this thread because I thought it might be fun to fantasize and think about "what if".

So, there is something new coming down the line. I figured there might be since the 750T is at it's end. While the Seaconqueror is a very special watch, there needs to be a new model that fills the void left by the 750T, as a real tool diver. I can't wait to see what it is, and I'm hoping it's based on the 5000T case. I hope it returns with painted hands, printed indices, traditional dial font placement, and no micro-ticks. Basically the 750T that we've grown to love, just morphed into the 5000T case.

While I know DOXA won't custom configure an individual watch, seems like I remember 25 being the magic number. So are there 23 others out there that would like to have a "Subkrawler Special" 750T Sharkhunter? I know I'd be in for two.
    "The most beautiful objects are those built for purpose. Few things are more thrilling than the unrestrained use of tools most have mistaken for luxuries" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    I think that's a fascinating idea - you just need to purchase the necessary watches and then swap out the parts.

That might get expensive, but think of the endless combinations you might develop... you just need a "few" tools. I understand the bezel exchange would be the most challenging part, but not for the truly industrious.
    I've thought about that a lot lately, but I'm afraid of what would happen if I "frankened" a few perfectly good DOXAs. I'm likely to burn in "watch hell" for that atrocity.

Come to think of it though, I'm probably going to burn anyway over what I did to my Sea-Dweller.

I'd probably be in - just trying to visualise the described piece!
    BTW what did you do to your Seadweller? Every time I see your signature I wonder.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopath View Post
    I'd probably be in - just trying to visualise the described piece!
    BTW what did you do to your Seadweller? Every time I see your signature I wonder.
    My minds eye is pretty good but it would be cool to see the "Subkrawler Special" in the flesh, or at least a photo-chop.

I know we have a few good choppers and Illustrator Masters out there. Anybody care to whip up a pic? Cyclopath needs to see what it looks like.

Now for the Sea-Dweller. Nothing too radical, I just put a red seconds hand on it from a Yacht-Master. I wouldn't have it any other way, but you should have seen the reaction it got over on TRF (The Rolex Forum). A tough crowd of purists over there, I tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by subkrawler View Post

Now for the Sea-Dweller. Nothing too radical, I just put a red seconds hand on it from a Yacht-Master. I wouldn't have it any other way, but you should have seen the reaction it got over on TRF (The Rolex Forum). A tough crowd of purists over there, I tell ya.
    Ty,

Regarding purists...there's a Chinese quote I use when people point out my sinful ways:

"Water that is too pure has no fish."

Cheers,

Avi

"Individuals fail.
    Teams succeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    Ty,

Regarding purists...there's a Chinese quote I use when people point out my sinful ways:

"Water that is too pure has no fish."

Cheers,

Avi
    Ah.....very wise, young Frogman.....very wise!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information