Older DOXA casual and dress watches.

Thread: Older DOXA casual and dress watches.

Older DOXA casual and dress watches.

The DOXA brand is, nowadays, synonymous with good quality divers watches and almost their entire output seems to be focused in this area.

I've seen their sports-casual and dress watches from the decades before they went diver-centric and often wondered how good they are and how respected they were as manufacturers during the 50s 60s and 70s.

Any thoughts?

...the bass playing, watch loving, bloke from Liverpool, England.

WATCH LOVERS ON FACEBOOK: "THE WIS GROUP"
    SEIKO LOVERS ON FACEBOOK:
    "SEIKO PATHS"

Re: Older DOXA casual and dress watches.

Hi,
    I think those watches were really well-made and well-respected timepieces, at that time on par with IWC and similar brands, but for some reason they were much more popular in Europe, than in other parts of the world, for example, the US. Anyway, I like them a lot.

Re: Older DOXA casual and dress watches.

The reason I asked in the OP was because I had spotted a jewellers in Antwerp, Belgium, that had found a box of Doxa watches from the early 1960s in their basement and were now selling them as NOS.

There were no divers, but then these watches date from before Doxa were synonymous with divers anyway.

Being 60s watches they're quite small by today's standards (but I'm a vintage fan anyway so this doesn't bother me in the slightest) and I decided to take a chance on one. This picture was used to advertise this style of watch - mine is exactly the same but actually in better condition as it has no detrioration around the batons.

I paid £39 for this (approx $50 to $52) and it's in perfect, as new condition. I had to change the strap of course as the original, a natty blue suede number, had become so brittle with age that it actually cracked and fell apart as I unpacked the watch upon getting it home.

I recently spotted that the vendor has now massively increased his prices, no doubt because demand was high. I think this is probably, in all my years of WIS-dom, my finest purchase ever. I find it very easy to believe they were considered in the same bracket as IWC on this evidence.

...the bass playing, watch loving, bloke from Liverpool, England.

WATCH LOVERS ON FACEBOOK: "THE WIS GROUP"
    SEIKO LOVERS ON FACEBOOK:
    "SEIKO PATHS"

Thread Information