Omega V Doxa (long post)

Thread: Omega V Doxa (long post)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega V Doxa (long post)

Hi all

Sorry for the long post. I've been lurking in this forum and the Omega one for probably the past year but mainly this one. I found it after reading about Dirk Pitt on Wikipedia and just followed the links. It got me into thinking about getting an automatic watch again.

I've recently got to a position where I can buy a good watch and I've narrowed it down to the Omega 2254.50 which Dr Pete recently reviewed and a Doxa 1000T (not sure whether I'm brave enough to get the Pro, otherwise the Sharky).

I decide on one, then start reconsidering again. Generally, I decide on the Omega, itís definitely the safer option, but the Doxa just keeps on calling to me. I'd love to see a Doxa in the flesh but I haven't heard of one in New Zealand where I live. The Omega is cheaper (about $NZ600), I can try it on and itís not so "out there" as the Doxa. But as I said, the Doxa keeps on calling me.

I've put a deposit on the Omega which I can get back and I really need to make a decision shortly as I can get the Omega duty free as I'm going overseas just after Christmas and the Doxa price goes up on 1 January.

I'm obviously asking in the wrong place as you guys all love your Doxa's but I'm wondering if you have any objective views on each watch, especially from those of you who have both. Also, what are your experiences on the accuracy of the Non COSC Doxa? If I could try on the Doxa, I'm sure I'd probably get it but as its a lot of cash, buying online without seeing it in the flesh is a bit nerve racking if I donít end up liking it.

Thanks for your help!

Robin

Re: Omega V Doxa (long post)

I have both and luv it equally. You can't go wrong with either one. In my opinion the Seamaster is dressier and the SUB1000T is more a tool watch.

The Omega.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega is dressier. Doxa is definitely tougher. I own both. If it is to be a daily wearer I would go with Doxa. After 6 months years of wearing my 2254.50 daily, the bezel became loose. I got it fixed twice and it still gets loose after about a month of wearing. I do use the bezel frequently. The Doxa bezel just works better. They are both great watches but the Doxa is tougher. As far as COSC, all a matter of preference. The non-COSC's keep great time. The dials are different on the models. Maybe that could help narrow it down. Go Doxa. The other thing that I noticed after a year of wearing my Doxa is that when I switched to my Omega, it looked boring. I felt bored. Now my Omega just sits in my safe and my Doxa's get all my wrist time. If you go with Doxa and you don't like it, you could always get about what you paid if you sell. Doxa's have a very high resale value. Not really a risk.
    Good luck and hope this helped.

NEG

I think you need to buy both!

I think that one of the most valid points you raised yourself. You haven't seen a Doxa in the flesh.
    Omegas are nice but there are loads about not counting the fakes.
    Doxas are tough, great wrist presence and have a certain individuality.
    At the end of the day it's your choice and go with what you want to look at on your wrist.
    Alasdair

I've owned both (four Doxas, three Omegas). I am impressed with the build quality, accuracy and and reliability of both brands. I've had some warranty-related repair requirments with both brands, and in both cases they've been resolved. The Doxa is more individual and striking on the wrist. Based on my experiences (I use both for work, above and in the water), both are equally durable.

Having said all of the above, one of the key things that I will say differentiates the two brands is customer service: quite frankly, everything that I've seen, heard and personally experienced with Omega proves that (at least here in Canada), Omega Customer Service sucks - slow, expensive, inattentive and uncommunicative. On the other hand, Doxa's customer service, since I bought my first SUB750T over two and a half years ago has been simlpy outstanding. It is attentive, personal, quick and comprehensive.

Best of luck with your decision. If you can do so, I'd get both. Both are aesthetically striking and mechanically sound timepieces.

Regards,

James
    Last edited by JAD3703; December 9th, 2007 at 13:49.
    AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM - "I will either find a way or make one."

Hi Robin,

You probably are asking in the wrong place, but you asked anyway so my answer has to be Doxa. Until today I had never seen one and neither had my wife. The watch is really something special and far more individual than the Omega if that is what you want (not everyone does of course). My wife loved the orange and the overall design and said it is far nicer than my boring old Seadweller!

In the end, they are both superb watches. If you want to stand out from the crowd, go Doxa. In either case, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Good luck with your decision.
    Grahame.

Quote Originally Posted by SheriffNZ View Post
    I'm obviously asking in the wrong place as you guys all love your Doxa's but I'm wondering if you have any objective views on each watch, especially from those of you who have both.
    Welcome Robin,

To answer your question regarding objective views; with few exceptions the answer is no...but I'll try.

I've had a mid-size Bond auto (hated it) and have a full size 2230.50 Non-America's Cup on Bond bracelet (love it) as well as 750T and 600T T-Graph Doxas. My wife and I were married at the beach and chose the Non-AC for me and electric blue ladies Seamaster as our wedding watches because of their ability to serve equally as sporty dress watch and mild tool watch. Since then I've rediscovered Doxa and haven't gotten another Seamaster since. With the Doxa's there's no mistaking that they're pure tool watches. For me pure tool watches (read Doxa's) get 90% of my wrist time with Speedy's, the Non-AC, Tudor and Rollies sharing the other 10% when I need something dressier.

As far as accuracy goes, COSC certified movements will be consistantly more acurate than your average non-COSC watch. Of course there are exceptions as my mid-size COSC Bond auto and 600T T-Graph have demonstrated.

Of course YMMV.

Well, you've certainly made your decision a hard one.

You've chosen perhaps the most classic of the Omega Seamasters as well as a very classic look in the Doxa 1000T. Like others have said, I don't think you will be unhappy with either watch. Here are some points to ponder:

1) When comparing the 2254.50 to the 1000T keep in mind that the Omega will wear a bit bigger than the 1000T because the dial is about 2mm wider. If you want a closer size comparison, you should consider the 750T vs the 2254.50.
    2) The Omega will hug the wrist with a lower profile since it's a lot thinner than the 1000T so, for long sleeve wear, go Omega IMO.
    3) The Omega wears more dressy and the 1000T wears more like a tool watch even though both are rugged and will take the water well. If you insist on a sporty look, go Doxa.
    4) The 2254.50 has recently been discontinued and will most certainly attain classic status while school is still out on the 1000T since it's still in production.
    5) Doxa has only recently re-entered the dive watch market and is right now entering the B&M retail market so, their long term success, while probably likely, is still an unknown. Omega, on the other hand, has decades of success in the bag with continued success very likely. So, if you want the highest likelihood of a future heirloom, go with Omega.

As I said, you have a tough choice. I have both the Omega and the Doxa and wear each for different reasons and occasions. After you've done your homework, go with your gut. Enjoy whatever you choose.
    Best Regards,
    Ray K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information